Tax Returns!

Ms.PacMan

I am looking forward to the extra $500 deduction for homeowners who take the standard deduction (schedule L) and the *double credit because my son goes to college in a Midwest flood affected county.

*AGI below $48,000 - max $4,000 using the Lifetime Learning credit (IRS Pub. 970)

Should end up paying only $600 in Federal income tax this year!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am looking forward to the extra $500 deduction for homeowners who take the standard deduction (schedule L) and the *double credit because my son goes to college in a Midwest flood affected county.

*AGI below $48,000 - max $4,000 using the Lifetime Learning credit (IRS Pub. 970)

Should end up paying only $600 in Federal income tax this year!

I am surprised that, as a homeowner, you don't have enough deductions to itemize. Itemizing may net you a lower tax bill, even without the extra $500 deduction. Also, don't forget about the $400 American at Work credit.

D

Dis-organized Labor

I'm not paying taxes anymore. I'm going to rack up a couple of million in owed taxes and then get on TV with a big smile on my face and tell everyone how I got it settled for $40,000.
Wesley Snipes should have done that.

Last edited by a moderator:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My hope is that we owe $499.99 We will withdraw that money from savings and send the feds a check on April 15th. That means that we kept $499 of their money all year and earned interest on it, instead of the other way around.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
My hope is that we owe $499.99 We will withdraw that money from savings and send the feds a check on April 15th. That means that we kept $499 of their money all year and earned interest on it, instead of the other way around.

yessir, this is the only way to fly. I encourage everyone to adopt this line of thinking immediatly.

you could get more in your paycheck every week, also alowing you to invest that money.

File an extension on April 15th.

outamyway

I'm getting about $50 back because of this:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=204447,00.html

In 2009 and 2010, the Making Work Pay provision of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act will provide a refundable tax credit of up to $400 for working individuals and up to $800 for married taxpayers filing joint returns.

This tax credit will be calculated at a rate of 6.2 percent of earned income and will phase out for taxpayers with modified adjusted gross income in excess of $75,000, or $150,000 for married couples filing jointly.

For people who receive a paycheck and are subject to withholding, the credit will typically be handled by their employers through automated withholding changes in early spring. These changes may result in an increase in take-home pay. The amount of the credit will be computed on the employee's 2009 income tax return filed in 2010. Taxpayers who do not have taxes withheld by an employer during the year can also claim the credit on their 2009 tax return.