Taxes

FedExer267

I have been chopping at the bit to get my taxes done to see if I would get enough to give myself a paid vacation.

After getting my taxes done all I can say is wow. For someone who lives on government assistance off of hard working taxpayers because of they way FedEx does business. I am getting over 7000 back.

The funny thing is according to my W2 I paid zero into Federal and State. Pretty sad that FedEx runs us like we are their employees but does not pay their fair share for that workforce.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have been chopping at the bit to get my taxes done to see if I would get enough to give myself a paid vacation.

After getting my taxes done all I can say is wow. For someone who lives on government assistance off of hard working taxpayers because of they way FedEx does business. I am getting over 7000 back.

The funny thing is according to my W2 I paid zero into Federal and State. Pretty sad that FedEx runs us like we are their employees but does not pay their fair share for that workforce.

All part of Fred's plan. I love to hear him lobby for "free market" principles, while he runs simultaneous scams at Express and Ground that directly contradict free market ideals. What a freaking hypocrite.

bbsam

Staff member

So I can assume that the TM got his way and you are in at 7am each morning?

bbsam

Staff member
But Fedex runs you like you are their employee so that means you show up when he says. Incongruent.

WhatCrass

This is how FedEx saves money; pay their workers low enough so they qualify for government aide. Wal-Mart pulls this same crap too. When workers can qualify for food stamps, section 8 housing, college Pell grants, Wic, etc. it takes the burden of giving a higher wage to FedEx workers and gives Freddie a bigger profit.

The Teamsters and the FedEx drivers can change all that by forming a union. Granted, under the pro-capitalist RLA law, it's going to be very hard. But the conditions are ripe for organizing.

And I'm sure we'll start seeing FedEx offer more small concessions to the workers to try to prevent that from happening.

LTFedExer

OK, let's see if I got this right....
1. You paid no taxes in 2010, yet receive $7000 at tax time.
2. You work for a contractor, yet blame FedEx for being on gov't assistance?
Is this correct?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
OK, let's see if I got this right....
1. You paid no taxes in 2010, yet receive $7000 at tax time.
2. You work for a contractor, yet blame FedEx for being on gov't assistance?
Is this correct?

Do you think that the $7,000 refund is adequate compensation for his lack of wages? If he were paid a living wage, he'd also share in the tax burden proportionately. As usual, you don't get it. He really works for FedEx as an employee.

While I'm at it, who do you think pays the higher effective tax rate, you or Fred S, the billionaire? Mr. Smith makes many additional millions per year by keeping the unions out at Express and running his Ground scam that forces many workers onto the government dole. Is that right? Is it fair?

I await your brilliant response.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is how FedEx saves money; pay their workers low enough so they qualify for government aide. Wal-Mart pulls this same crap too. When workers can qualify for food stamps, section 8 housing, college Pell grants, Wic, etc. it takes the burden of giving a higher wage to FedEx workers and gives Freddie a bigger profit.

The Teamsters and the FedEx drivers can change all that by forming a union. Granted, under the pro-capitalist RLA law, it's going to be very hard. But the conditions are ripe for organizing.

And I'm sure we'll start seeing FedEx offer more small concessions to the workers to try to prevent that from happening.

You definitely "get it". Please explain in simpler terms so LT FedExer can understand what's going on.

LTFedExer

Do you think that the $7,000 refund is adequate compensation for his lack of wages? If he were paid a living wage, he'd also share in the tax burden proportionately. As usual, you don't get it. He really works for FedEx as an employee.

While I'm at it, who do you think pays the higher effective tax rate, you or Fred S, the billionaire? Mr. Smith makes many additional millions per year by keeping the unions out at Express and running his Ground scam that forces many workers onto the government dole. Is that right? Is it fair?

I await your brilliant response.
Is it possible to simply ask a question? Did I say anywhere $7000 is adequate compensation? You say he 'really' works for FedEx. Does his paycheck come from FedEx or a contractor?

FedExer267

Is it possible to simply ask a question? Did I say anywhere $7000 is adequate compensation? You say he 'really' works for FedEx. Does his paycheck come from FedEx or a contractor?

Thats a really stupid question I think I need not respond because you know the answer. That being said I get paid by the fall guy while fedex goes our of their way to run us.
Answer me this if we are truly independent why do we look like employees and why does ground give the look of being a company ran business. I have never seen a independent contractor for any other company in a uniform. I have never seen a IC trucker drive a company truck except for FedEx.

Yes bbsam I show up when I show up but that does not keep FedEx management from harassing me. It doesnt keep them from yelling at me when I wear my own jacket because I dont want to freeze sorry I dont get paid enough to buy a FedEx jacket.

It doesn't keep them from yelling at me for a code 12 because after looking for a address that I cant find I did not call them on my personal cell phone to try and figure it out.. sorry I dont get paid to sit around waiting for corrections and you dont pay my bill.

It doesnt keep them from yelling at me for code 04 because to many business were closed and I got below a 98.9% rate for that day.

It doesnt keep them from mandating when my pickup times are.

It doesnt keep them from forcing us to go to their safety meetings.

It doesnt keep them from sending home our loaders early and we have to finish loading our trucks. (free labor)

Yes I get paid by a IC but it does not take a maroon to figure out who runs the show. The IC is their for one reason to pay the costs for a multi billion dollar company.

Just so we are clear I blame FedEx for running a billion dollar company this way If it was a mom and pop shop fine but they are making billions off the backs of people they run. The people that you and everyone else on here subsidize every month.

bbsam

Staff member
All this you know and yet you stay? I've read too much from you to think you can't do better, but the incessant bitching about the your predicament goes nowhere. Fedex Ground is what it is. All the "making billions on the backs of the poor" rants and "scam" comments and "5 zip codes blah, blah, blah" moaning isn't going to change a thing. So one BCer to another; is this the best you can do? If so, is there nothing to be thankful for? If not, isn't there something better between where you are now and being called back to your former job? Is it really all "Heaven or Hell, Feast or Famine"?

LTFedExer

Thats a really stupid question I think I need not respond because you know the answer. That being said I get paid by the fall guy while fedex goes our of their way to run us.
Answer me this if we are truly independent why do we look like employees and why does ground give the look of being a company ran business. I have never seen a independent contractor for any other company in a uniform. I have never seen a IC trucker drive a company truck except for FedEx.

Yes bbsam I show up when I show up but that does not keep FedEx management from harassing me. It doesnt keep them from yelling at me when I wear my own jacket because I dont want to freeze sorry I dont get paid enough to buy a FedEx jacket.

It doesn't keep them from yelling at me for a code 12 because after looking for a address that I cant find I did not call them on my personal cell phone to try and figure it out.. sorry I dont get paid to sit around waiting for corrections and you dont pay my bill.

It doesnt keep them from yelling at me for code 04 because to many business were closed and I got below a 98.9% rate for that day.

It doesnt keep them from mandating when my pickup times are.

It doesnt keep them from forcing us to go to their safety meetings.

It doesnt keep them from sending home our loaders early and we have to finish loading our trucks. (free labor)

Yes I get paid by a IC but it does not take a maroon to figure out who runs the show. The IC is their for one reason to pay the costs for a multi billion dollar company.

Just so we are clear I blame FedEx for running a billion dollar company this way If it was a mom and pop shop fine but they are making billions off the backs of people they run. The people that you and everyone else on here subsidize every month.
You don't sound like a dumb guy. But, you're blaming FedEx for a low wage. Yet, their not the ones signing your paychecks, regardless of what happens during the week. Maybe I shouldn't be saying anything because I'm in Express and haven't spent a day on the Ground sort. My initial post was just to clarify thatI understood what your 1st post was saying.
All this you know and yet you stay? I've read too much from you to think you can't do better, but the incessant bitching about the your predicament goes nowhere. Fedex Ground is what it is. All the "making billions on the backs of the poor" rants and "scam" comments and "5 zip codes blah, blah, blah" moaning isn't going to change a thing. So one BCer to another; is this the best you can do? If so, is there nothing to be thankful for? If not, isn't there something better between where you are now and being called back to your former job? Is it really all "Heaven or Hell, Feast or Famine"?
Harsh words, but well said.

FedExer267

bbsam you and I both see it for what it is. There is alot to be thankful for I am thankful for my children and I am thankful for the ability to do sidework which helps me out greatly. However that being said all I am saying is they way they run this show is ridiculous. If we are truly Independent than let the IC's run their business. There should be no reason for management going off on drivers and I have said from the beginning If they want to run us fine then give us the perks of a employee, then you may have a leg to stand on. Simple right if not get out of the drivers face and let the IC run his show.

I am sorry you have read too much from me, simple dont read it, you see I thought this was a forum for us to discuss and gripe about the business. The unfortunate thing you dont see is I am not the only driver that feels this way. In any business you cannot expect professional quality service for the peanuts your giving. We were all gung ho at first but when you realize your Contractor is full of it, you simply dont care. You get what you give bottomline. I expect it has always been that way.

FedExer267

You don't sound like a dumb guy. But, you're blaming FedEx for a low wage. Yet, their not the ones signing your paychecks, regardless of what happens during the week. Maybe I shouldn't be saying anything because I'm in Express and haven't spent a day on the Ground sort. My initial post was just to clarify thatI understood what your 1st post was saying.

Harsh words, but well said.

To clarify LT I dont have a problem with FedEX wanting to run us as long as they pay the checks. If they dont want to sign the checks then they should not be treating us like their employees.

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam you and I both see it for what it is. There is alot to be thankful for I am thankful for my children and I am thankful for the ability to do sidework which helps me out greatly. However that being said all I am saying is they way they run this show is ridiculous. If we are truly Independent than let the IC's run their business. There should be no reason for management going off on drivers and I have said from the beginning If they want to run us fine then give us the perks of a employee, then you may have a leg to stand on. Simple right if not get out of the drivers face and let the IC run his show.

I am sorry you have read too much from me, simple dont read it, you see I thought this was a forum for us to discuss and gripe about the business. The unfortunate thing you dont see is I am not the only driver that feels this way. In any business you cannot expect professional quality service for the peanuts your giving. We were all gung ho at first but when you realize your Contractor is full of it, you simply dont care. You get what you give bottomline. I expect it has always been that way.

I don't mind reading it at all. I simply wonder if you don't get tired of the misery and if there is anything, anything at all to do to change your circumstance.

I will say it again. Your contractor is independent. The fact that he lets management behave as they do is on him. Within the framework of Ground, your real problem is with him and the fact that he is a crappy manager of his business.

FedExer267

Well I do have kids. But I thought for sure Id get nothing. I think it is sad that I have paid zero all year long and do get goverment assistance even though I work full time. That is exactly what is wrong with the current Ground model, we are not productive, tax paying members of society, we get assistance all year long but for me to get that much back was astonishing.
If your going to run a business your employees should make a living wage, not be full time employees that are a drain to the economy.