TC on Today Show Monday

upschuck

Be honest---doesn't part of you really wish that the guy would retire and enjoy the rest of his life?

I would hope that he would have a fulfilled life outside of UPS. Evidentially, he gets enough vacation tome to figure out he doesn't want to do that for the rest of his life. If he is safe, then let him be.

Nimnim

The Nim
I would hope that he would have a fulfilled life outside of UPS. Evidentially, he gets enough vacation tome to figure out he doesn't want to do that for the rest of his life. If he is safe, then let him be.

My concern is his age, I'm sure he's skilled and knows what he's doing, but when people get up in the years even seemingly minor health issues aren't so minor as an aged body has a harder time recovering.

purplesky

My concern is his age, I'm sure he's skilled and knows what he's doing, but when people get up in the years even seemingly minor health issues aren't so minor as an aged body has a harder time recovering.

If you follow the safe work methods you will never get hurt working at UPS.:funny:

Everybody is different some 73 year olds are more like 53. and some 53 year olds act like they are 73. I had this lady on my route 9she has since passed) she was 92 years old. I went to her house one day, she said hey UPS guy look at this. She grabbed my arm so hard she almost knocked me over. She said look at these floors (they were spotless) She says I get on my hands and knees everyday and scrub them. Then she proceeded to show me how well she could bend over and touch her toes. She said the only problem she has(her words) I cant hear worth a crap!....lol.....dont lump every old peson into a group. We should only be so lucky to even think about doing this job at 73

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
He has a good point. One of the security guards in my building is a former driver who retired over 25 yrs ago. He's 83....looks 20 years younger, and the guy moves like he's 45. And still works 40 hours a week. I only hope I'm that spry at his age....assuming I live to be that old.

Nimnim

The Nim
If you follow the safe work methods you will never get hurt working at UPS.:funny:

Yeah, even with the methods all it takes it one wrong movement sometimes. ^_^

Everybody is different some 73 year olds are more like 53. and some 53 year olds act like they are 73. I had this lady on my route 9she has since passed) she was 92 years old. I went to her house one day, she said hey UPS guy look at this. She grabbed my arm so hard she almost knocked me over. She said look at these floors (they were spotless) She says I get on my hands and knees everyday and scrub them. Then she proceeded to show me how well she could bend over and touch her toes. She said the only problem she has(her words) I cant hear worth a crap!....lol.....dont lump every old peson into a group. We should only be so lucky to even think about doing this job at 73

I know a few people 60+ that could easily run circles around me, but on average for someone pushing 70 or more is just going to have a harder time recovering than someone 20 or 30 years younger than them. As I said, I'm sure he's skilled and knows what he's doing, I'm just concerned about his health. I'm not trying to imply he's weak, just at that age even in good health it usually isn't as simple to recover for someone that age as someone younger. If they decide to retire I'd much rather it be their choice than some seemingly minor thing that just takes it's toll on them because they're older and don't recover as well.

Yeah, even with the methods all it takes it one wrong movement sometimes. ^_^

I know a few people 60+ that could easily run circles around me, but on average for someone pushing 70 or more is just going to have a harder time recovering than someone 20 or 30 years younger than them. As I said, I'm sure he's skilled and knows what he's doing, I'm just concerned about his health. I'm not trying to imply he's weak, just at that age even in good health it usually isn't as simple to recover for someone that age as someone younger. If they decide to retire I'd much rather it be their choice than some seemingly minor thing that just takes it's toll on them because they're older and don't recover as well.

Thats all this man has. he does it well, wants to do it..be happy for him.

Nimnim

The Nim
Thats all this man has. he does it well, wants to do it..be happy for him.

I don't recall saying I was happy or unhappy for him. I guess I'll say it now, if this is what makes him happy good for him, but just in my mind he's done a damn good job and served his time. It just wouldn't be a bad idea to look toward some new adventure in life and head out in a high note. He's ridiculously safe, perhaps working some sort of safety consulting deal with UPS which could also be a PR thing where he goes around and helps promote safety in UPS.

FilingBluesFL

I had this lady on my route 9she has since passed) she was 92 years old. I went to her house one day, she said hey UPS guy look at this. She grabbed my arm so hard she almost knocked me over. She said look at these floors (they were spotless) She says I get on my hands and knees everyday and scrub them. Then she proceeded to show me how well she could bend over and touch her toes. She said the only problem she has(her words) I cant hear worth a crap!....lol.....

Any chance she showed a young whipper snapper like you some of her "other moves"? LOL

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Be honest---doesn't part of you really wish that the guy would retire and enjoy the rest of his life?

Life is too short to worry about what other people's priorities are.

Next thing you know, you're on web forums, always in superior judgement of others.

Oh wait...

Notretiredyet

Tom can't recite the DOK verbatim, but if you watch him in at work he follows most of them in the course of his day. He's never been a fan of this DOK crap (his words) in fact he once asked a safety manager the get out of his truck when he pressed the issue with him. Guess you can do that with his record.