TCD and Article 22 employees?

tramtwo

Can TCD part time slots be filled by article 22 employees as a matter of routine....day in and day out?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can TCD part time slots be filled by article 22 employees as a matter of routine....day in and day out?

Are any employees being displaced as a result? Is there a bid sheet posted looking for cover drivers? The work needs to be dispatched but Art 22's should not be used to deliver entire routes on a daily basis.

PT Car Washer

I have heard of a couple that would go run their old route in an emergency. Most loose their DOT card or grow a beard as we all know where this would lead. Most of the time have air drivers or sups with air driver run left over routes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a 22.3 who is basically their go-to guy-----he will shuttle air, deliver air and will even come in early and run an entire route if need be.

We have had a cover driver sign up sheet up for the past week or so----I'd be curious how many, if any, PTers signed it.

PT Car Washer

I am PT and do this also. Made 66 K last year. Our 22.3 preload/air drivers routinely run left over bulk and stops. We are talking Art. 22 here. FT inside. Car wash and porters. Most are old package car drivers who finally had enough seniority to bid the job. Ours have close to 40 years or more.

PT Car Washer

Our center tried the cover driver bid once. Nobody wanted the job. Too little pay and no guarantee on hours. Better to work your PT job and collect extra hour on the side. At FT package car driver rate.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I am PT and do this also. Made 66 K last year. Our 22.3 preload/air drivers routinely run left over bulk and stops. We are talking Art. 22 here. FT inside. Car wash and porters. Most are old package car drivers who finally had enough seniority to bid the job. Ours have close to 40 years or more.

40 years (at UPS!) and do not/ cannot retire. Hire a retirement planner now!

tramtwo

Yes part time workers who are qualified as TCDs do not work in that capacity and the article 22 guys cover routes daily... it is routine.

Last edited:

tramtwo

When I TCD the scale is 90% of the top driver rate. Our center has at least 4 part time guys who TCD about 4 days a week. We also have two 22.3 guys taking routes daily. I am the fifth TCD and I work as needed which isn't much. If the 22.3 guys were tasked to perform their on paper function I would TCD at least three times a week.

Really not sure how to proceed. Obviously all these guys are OK with the current situation.. and I would be also if it was in the contract... seems like it is not.