TCD Job Description & Some Other Questsions

LFZ

I've been a TCD in southern NM for about 7 months now and had some questions. I know that my primary job function is to preload in the mornings and then drive if needed. We lost our air driver after peak and haven't had a new hire, so they asked me if I wanted to do it on the days I didn't drive to give me some extra hours. I've been doing so, but at this point it feels like I'm stuck doing the air if not driving (which is most days). Can management "force" me to be the air driver, or are they just guilt tripping me?

Another thing is that I'm the first TCD in line for the station and there have been 3 FT driver positions vacated since I started with a 4th one coming up in May, and I only keep getting told that they are awaiting the higher ups to approve new driver spots. Are they just pulling me along or? They also just recently brought in a driver from another area and are having him drive while I get stuck doing the air. Doesn't make sense to me, but maybe someone here could enlighten me?

Last thing, I had a family situation come up in January where I informed management of it and what not where I asked if I could be exempted from driving (air or actual route driving) on Fridays every other week. I even stated I would come in for the preload still (not asking for the day off), just not drive and keep them notified of any and all changes to that schedule. At first, they had no problem with it, but now w/ drivers dropping like flies, I was told that they can no longer allow that accommodation. I have to be available Fridays regardless if I drive or not. I understand the whole them needing drivers thing and wanting me available, but am I really unable to say "I am not available on this day" and be forced to drive? I understand that it can hurt my chances at FT, but I drive at every other chance they have, so am I being unreasonable w/ the every other Friday thing? If anything, could I tell them I can't do the air Fridays and still be okay for the FT spot?

Sorry for the wall of text and if anymore details are needed, I can give another block of text. Any and all help is appreciated, thanks.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Management has to get full time req's approved before they can hire. So that is true.
You cannot pick and choose which days you would like to work.

LFZ

Understandable. Still leaves me a bit confused as to the air portion? Am I stuck doing air in the meantime as well now that I started it or can I pass on that here and there and just drive a route when needed? Also, is there anything I can do about them bringing in drivers from other areas? The other station drivers are just as confused as I am as to why this is happening instead of getting me on road with FT looming. I also recall reading elsewhere on the forums that TCD's could decide not to drive if they so chose as long as they showed up to their preload (which I am doing regardless). I could've read wrong, but made me curious. I understand completely that I cannot pick and choose the days I work especially come time for FT, but atm I seem to be getting shafted pretty hard with them bringing in other drivers to cover routes when I am available and then telling me I can't be unavailable because they "may" need me.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Understandable. Still leaves me a bit confused as to the air portion? Am I stuck doing air in the meantime as well now that I started it or can I pass on that here and there and just drive a route when needed? Also, is there anything I can do about them bringing in drivers from other areas? The other station drivers are just as confused as I am as to why this is happening instead of getting me on road with FT looming. I also recall reading elsewhere on the forums that TCD's could decide not to drive if they so chose as long as they showed up to their preload (which I am doing regardless). I could've read wrong, but made me curious. I understand completely that I cannot pick and choose the days I work especially come time for FT, but atm I seem to be getting shafted pretty hard with them bringing in other drivers to cover routes when I am available and then telling me I can't be unavailable because they "may" need me.
As a tcd they have to use you in tcd center seniority. If they are using tcd's with less center seniority than you. You need to grieve that. As far as air driving goes. I would imagine they have to ask in seniority order.