TCD or other opportunity

TCD or other job?

• Total voters

decwmd

Hello all, I just recently got hired on at hub in North Texas as a TCD, but I've also gotten a job offer with another company. The other company has a good stable wage, but I'd prefer to do UPS. I have a family and I'm concerned at the availability of work and how much I'll be working preload. All of the hubs in this area are hiring TCD's and I'm wondering if I should take the chance with UPS in hopes for a FT position or should I play it safe with the other company? I have a family btw and I would like to know how well I could support them with this job.

barnyard

KTM rider
TCD stands for Temp Cover Driver. Temp is short for Temporary. There is no guarantee of hours. You could struggle for years or that hub could be expanding rapidly. It is a crap shoot.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

When I started three years ago I averaged three days a week plus Saturday, after the sixth month I haven't had a day off, with the exception of a lone Monday in spring, after holiday returns and before May vacations. The guy two spots down in seniority who I went to school with and qualified with, did peak then didn't drive again until the following Christmas. Right place right time.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2416.GIF

Just do this

Let the coin decide your fate

GenericUsername

I went TCD in March of this year and have only had 5 or 6 days off during the week since. Why not ask your Sup who does the staffing to get a feel for what he thinks?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Make sure you check what a TCD means in your area. Some areas it means they cover for vacations/days off while not doing their main job in the hub as a PT employee. Others, it is where you cover when needed and just get laid off when not needed, with no option to work inside as a PT employee.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
What is a good stable wage? I made $28+ an hour as a TCD with every day worked at least 10 hours. For me driving 2 days and 3 in the building was at least a $700 gross check. Most weeks I would drive 4 or 5 days except peak and high vacation time which would always be 5 days. I did have some seniority so that helped me work after I qualified.

If you were ever going to roll the dice on UPS this would be a good time. The Saturday delivery has my building adding another 30 full time drivers and the new contract will probably get a few older guys to leave as well. I say this assuming you have some common sense and aren't thin skinned...if that's the case don't even think about UPS as a career.

GenericUsername

If you are working everyday, why are you still a temp?

I don't push the issue to be honest. If I was preloading, I'd be making $12.50 an hour right now. I'll take the $29.92 per hour and work my 45ish hours a week and be happy about it. There's 8 of us who are doing this right now and I'm 2nd from the bottom. I could see them being big ol' D*s and cutting the bottom few of us off if the issue were raised.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I don't push the issue to be honest. If I was preloading, I'd be making $12.50 an hour right now. I'll take the $29.92 per hour and work my 45ish hours a week and be happy about it. There's 8 of us who are doing this right now and I'm 2nd from the bottom. I could see them being big ol' D*s and cutting the bottom few of us off if the issue were raised.
If you're in the South you all need to keep track of how many days you work. 156 reports as a TCD creates a full time position.

PT Car Washer

Are you gaining any FT pension time? Are you gaining any FT seniority? Or is it just a paycheck on Friday?