TCD to HUB

Ironhawk

Hi,
Just finished Integrad to become a TCD. My question is, Do I have to go back to work in the HUB when I am not working as a TCD? I came to UPS to drive, and do not want to work in HUB at all, is it possible to work as TCD only, until full time comes around?
Thanks!

Box Ox

I came to UPS to drive, and do not want to work in HUB at all
I came to UPS to drive, and do not want to work in HUB at all, is it possible to work as TCD only, until full time comes around?

Right on! Who the hell wants to work inside? I never did! Ask management for a DSSRSA Form. ("Declaration of Snowflake Status Requiring Special Accommodation"). You'll be set up with a TV and back rubs in the break room during your hub shift.

Ironhawk

Right on! Who the hell wants to work inside? I never did! Ask management for a DSSRSA Form. ("Declaration of Snowflake Status Requiring Special Accommodation"). You'll be set up with a TV and back rubs in the break room during your hub shift.
Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but the hub pay sucks. I have a small business, and I can make much more than what I make stuffing boxes in trucks. I enjoy the driving and delivering, but not working in the hub at all. Especially for 10$ or so an hour. Just want to know if it is possible not to get canned for not going to hub, when not working as a TCD.

Box Ox

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but the hub pay sucks. I have a small business, and I can make much more than what I make stuffing boxes in trucks. I enjoy the driving and delivering, but not working in the hub at all. Especially for 10$ or so an hour. Just want to know if it is possible not to get canned for not going to hub, when not working as a TCD.

You're a good sport. The answer is nope. But I will say this: If your small business does pretty well, and you've got a decent family life, do not ever go permanent FT. The best gig somebody at UPS can ask for is a PT bid air driver slot with their own business on the side. Pulls you out of preload (or whatever sort you're on) and a part time air exception driver can fill in on your air bid route as needed if you want to TCD between June and January.

Seriously, I cannot recommend this route enough.

Ironhawk

Well, it is an hour drive there and back. Loading is killing my shoulders for some reason. I am in my 40's. I am only running my biz, until I am a full time driver, making good money. I have put in my time loading this year, and was a seasonal driver last year. Tired of the light pay, and shoulder killing work. I told them when I was hired, I am not coming here to load trucks, but to deliver. Anyhow, just curious if I can just do TCD, until I become full time?
Why not do both? Work the preload and then run your business.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

What’s your small business

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Well, it is an hour drive there and back. Loading is killing my shoulders for some reason. I am in my 40's. I am only running my biz, until I am a full time driver, making good money. I have put in my time loading this year, and was a seasonal driver last year. Tired of the light pay, and shoulder killing work. I told them when I was hired, I am not coming here to load trucks, but to deliver. Anyhow, just curious if I can just do TCD, until I become full time?

You think your shoulder hurts now

Wait until your chained to a pkg car for awhile

Box Ox

Tired of the light pay, and shoulder killing work.

If an inside sort is killing your shoulder, FT will kill you fully. TCD is one thing. Delivering blown out trucks year round is another.

Anyhow, just curious if I can just do TCD, until I become full time?

Is your official base classification a PT inside worker? If it is, then no. Only way is to TCD as an off streeter and be called back in as an outside FT hire. FT always ends up being too much for those guys.

Ironhawk

What’s your small business[/QUOTE It is called a pain the butt business, that is why I am at UPS. I would give you a straight answer, but I do not want to give away my identity. I have grown tired of my business, and it requires more time than a UPS driver delivers, and UPS drivers can make more.

Ironhawk

If an inside sort is killing your shoulder, FT will kill you fully. TCD is one thing. Delivering blown out trucks year round is another.

Is your official base classification a PT inside worker? If it is, then no. Only way is to TCD as an off streeter and be called back in as an outside FT hire. FT always ends up being too much for those guys.
I delivered seasonal last peak, put in 60 hours a week or so, shoulders were good. I enjoyed it, no shoulder pain. I think it is the volume of boxes I have to load on truck that is getting my shoulders. As a driver, it is far less. I believe I am a PT inside worker. Pretty flexible so far, but really just want to drive and deliver.

Faceplanted

Don't worry. If your hub uses pvd you prob won't even work peak. Why pay you 28hr plus gas for the package car when they can pay some scab 18.75hr?

This is one of my biggest issues with pvds. They are taking away work from seasonal and tcd drivers

Ironhawk

You think your shoulder hurts now

Wait until your chained to a pkg car for awhile
I worked seasonal last year, and my shoulders were fine. Put in 60 hours a week. Stuffing truc
Don't worry. If your hub uses pvd you prob won't even work peak. Why pay you 28hr plus gas for the package car when they can pay some scab 18.75hr?

This is one of my biggest issues with pvds. They are taking away work from seasonal and tcd drivers
This year I have seen ads for folks with their own vehicles to deliver. I don't think the Union will be happy about that.

Box Ox

This year I have seen ads for folks with their own vehicles to deliver. I don't think the Union will be happy about that.

Union won't do :censored2:. And the FT driver job might not be nearly as appealing when you go FT one or more contracts worth of concessions down the road.