Tea Party Anniversary

texan

The Boston Tea Party occured on 16 December 1773. So it is the anniversary today.

The modern Tea Party molded itself after the spirit of this first occurance.

From About Tea Party Patriots | Tea Party Patriots

The Tea Party movement spontaneously formed in 2009 from the reaction of the American people to fiscally irresponsible actions of the federal government, misguided “stimulus” spending, bailouts and takeovers of private industry. Within the first few weeks of the movement, Tea Party Patriots formed to support the millions of Americans seeking to improve our great nation through renewed support for fiscal responsibility, constitutionally limited government, and free market economic policies.

Not making a comment for or against, but refelecting on the anniversary of 1773 that is documented American history.

The principle of holding the government accountable for their fiscal irresponsibility I wholly support.
and if he were to be honest, he supports that too. The dumb, dumber and [-]dumbest[/-]...oops even more dumb, was just another attempt to slam the right in general and the tea party specifically.

bbsam

Staff member
Fiscally responsible? I'd say they've done a horrible job of that. Even Paul Ryan's plan kept running up the deficit. Tea Party may have started out as one thing, but it's been turned into the engine of republican politics on a course to political power, not fiscal responsibility.

Fiscally responsible? I'd say they've done a horrible job of that. Even Paul Ryan's plan kept running up the deficit. Tea Party may have started out as one thing, but it's been turned into the engine of republican politics on a course to political power, not fiscal responsibility.
LOL, at least the right "talks" about fiscal responsibility, the left doesn't even know what the words mean without lookin in their Funk and Wagnall.

bbsam

Staff member
LOL, at least the right "talks" about fiscal responsibility, the left doesn't even know what the words mean without lookin in their Funk and Wagnall.
So they talk like they've always talked and walk like democrats and democrats talk and walk like democrats. So republicans are just liars. Got it.

804brown

Is there anyone who could make the deficit go down immediately? No.

Yes, declare that the united states is no longer an empire and withdraw all our troops from every country (over 100) . That means leaving our 800 military bases throughout the globe. Immediately!! Dismantle our expensive nuclear arsenal (keep a handful just incase) immediately!! End all subsidies and tax breaks and give aways to all companies, corporations and rich individuals as well as foreign countries!! Immediately!!

804brown

I wouldnt necessarily call Bill clinton to be on the "left" but he actually was able to balance the federal budget by 1999 or so. He did it through tax hikes on the wealthy and spending cuts and a growing economy and no wars!!

bbsam

Staff member
Is there anyone who could make the deficit go down immediately? No.
It is that sentiment that has me believing that deficit hawking is simply about getting elected. Truth be known, end the Bush/Obama tax cuts and the deficit goes away in about 7 years. Ryan, sucking up to the Grover Norquist's of the world cut the deficit by a little over a trillion I believe. Now. You tell me what is "fiscally responsible". Not politically or popularly expedient, but fiscally responsible.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It is that sentiment that has me believing that deficit hawking is simply about getting elected. Truth be known, end the Bush/Obama tax cuts and the deficit goes away in about 7 years. Ryan, sucking up to the Grover Norquist's of the world cut the deficit by a little over a trillion I believe. Now. You tell me what is "fiscally responsible". Not politically or popularly expedient, but fiscally responsible.
Making empty promises to get elected.....Gee that's a new strategy and never been tried before! That's the only experience Buck had when he got elected.......promises, promises (Gitmo, transparency, jobs)

"Yet Obama has found change can come slowly, even with his party in control of Congress. Overall, PolitiFact's Obameter has rated 14 promises as Broken and another 87 Stalled."

I can tell you what I think would go a long way toward fiscal responsibility. Cut senseless spending, eliminating loop holes in the current tax code and raising some taxes. Then maybe we could rationally discuss other means to keep a balanced budget. There is no doubt in my mind that our government is too big and our industry sector to small (in number not strength). There are physical as well as fiscal road blocks to getting there and I don't see any mutually acceptable methods being presented. It seems that anytime we help one part of society, we hurt another part that doesn't deserve to hurt anymore than the next.

moreluck

golden ticket member
What about entitlement programs?
They are abused and filled with fraud. Investigate and eliminate fraud and there would be plenty of funds for programs truly needed by some. The Czar that was appointed to do just this job has not been heard from........maybe he's buried out in the Hamptons too.

We shouldn't be paying dead people, illegals, and crooks who scam the system......only the truly needy should get anything

moreluck

golden ticket member
Thanks but I was asking Trp for his opinion.

Yours is already well established through a great deal of repetition and duplicity.
Then why didn't you post....."What about entitlement programs, Trp?"

When you post a question open like that, it's fair game. Trouble expressing yourself??

bbsam

Staff member
They are abused and filled with fraud. Investigate and eliminate fraud and there would be plenty of funds for programs truly needed by some. The Czar that was appointed to do just this job has not been heard from........maybe he's buried out in the Hamptons too.

We shouldn't be paying dead people, illegals, and crooks who scam the system......only the truly needy should get anything
ah. Yes the old "waste, fraud, and abuse" theory of balancing the budget.

moreluck

golden ticket member
ah. Yes the old "waste, fraud, and abuse" theory of balancing the budget.
You MUST start somewhere and if all you do is pooh-pooh every possibility of saving $$$, then nothing gets done and the money continues to flow out uncontrolled.
Apparently you think sending check to inmates and dead people is OK....

From Ed Okeefe's The Federal Eye....
O'Keefe writes, “the Office of Personnel Management has made more than $601 million in payments to dead federal retirees, according to the agency's inspector general. Total annual payouts range between $100 million and $150 million.”. . .

Point taken.

Trp, what about entitlement programs?

It depends on which programs you are talking about. I think the word entitlement has been misapplied to many of the programs, like food stamps, welfare, and many others. The people that are receiving them feel entitled to receive them, whether they are or not. People that receive SS/medicare/medicaid are ,IMO, entitled to those because they have paid into the system whether they wanted to or not. I know there are a few exceptions, such as teachers and firefighters(who have their own retirement systems) but for the most part most of Americans.

By doing what More said, eliminating the massive fraud etc. for the first group, those programs may in effect trim themselves down somewhat. We don't know if that will work, we've never tried it.