teamster run health plan

kybrownguy

been reading about rumors on this subject I am not real sure that a smart move I have been a driver for 23 years my dues when I started were about 30 bucks now look at em so everytime we get a contractual raise it seems our dues go up as well so with that in mind it would appear that our health care coverage if required to pay for would soon be so expensive no one could afford to pay for it.. perhaps I have wrong thinking here but just basing my idea on past things that have happened it seems we get no advanced warning on union dues going up, but only when we look at our paycheck that we get the notice. we need a set price for health care plan as well if we are required to pay for it other wise every time we turn around that plan price will reach further into our pocket just as our dues please don't get me wrong I am 100 percent union all the way but health care pricing cannot be taken likely

A

anonymous6

i can see hall and hoffa drooling over this . "let's see how much we can syphon off "

it would only be feasible if a outside party oversaw operations to make sure everything was on the up and up.

packageguy

been reading about rumors on this subject I am not real sure that a smart move I have been a driver for 23 years my dues when I started were about 30 bucks now look at em so everytime we get a contractual raise it seems our dues go up as well so with that in mind it would appear that our health care coverage if required to pay for would soon be so expensive no one could afford to pay for it.. perhaps I have wrong thinking here but just basing my idea on past things that have happened it seems we get no advanced warning on union dues going up, but only when we look at our paycheck that we get the notice. we need a set price for health care plan as well if we are required to pay for it other wise every time we turn around that plan price will reach further into our pocket just as our dues please don't get me wrong I am 100 percent union all the way but health care pricing cannot be taken likely

As far as dues for us its 2 1/2 the rate of pay.....all this other stuff with health care its all rumors.. hard to comment. they might say this to throw off TDU. just hard to say. more rumors with TDU dont help matters

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Your union dues are tied to your salary wage. 23 years in and u don't know this?

I question that your a ups employee.

yeldarb

I agree brownslave. How would he not know that? I wouldn't mind paying 200 a month. That would mean 80.00 per hour.

kybrownguy

guys guys cut me some slack I am not bashing the system just concerned about the future of our health care we can all make your so called 80 bucks per hour and that's awesome but paying for health care and who knows what our deductible might be plus paying for prescription meds will add up. and if you are a family with health issues the 80 bucks per hour wouldn't touch it assuming current cost of living per different states. geez I am concerned have we all taken for granted just how good we have had it.. hell :censored2: yes I agree ups should keep paying for our health care. we all work to hard to be herded like cattle every time contract rolls around and we get treated like s...t with no respect.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

ky, I am covered by a Teamster health plan. The company pays a set amount per hour (8 hours only--no OT) toward my health care and pension. The union decides how this money is spent. Our BA shops around for the best plan for the members (BC/BS) and establishes any co-pays and deductibles. BC/BS administers the plan with a dedicated Teamster help line. The key to controlling your personal healthcare costs is to try to find a participating provider---this is a doctor/dentist/optometrist who accepts the payment from the insurance company as payment in full. This has saved me a buttload of money on my dental and vision bills. My out of pocket for medical is usually less than $200/year---this year it was almost double as I chose to upgrade the lenses in my back-up pair of glasses.

I like a teamster run healthcare plan.
Come on 407....don't drink the Hoffa Kool-Aid. I know you are a good union guy......But the Teamsters....................... and your healthcare doesn't add up!!!Big Brown makes money....The Teamsters do not!!!!If you don't believe me....just ask my pension plan...........P.S. the TDU still sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

LagunaBrown

Come on 407....don't drink the Hoffa Kool-Aid. I know you are a good union guy......But the Teamsters....................... and your healthcare doesn't add up!!!Big Brown makes money....The Teamsters do not!!!!If you don't believe me....just ask my pension plan...........P.S. the TDU still sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

How does it not add up? Every contract the company is going to try and jerk us around over health care. It does not make it any easier for the Union to negotiate a national contract where Health Care varies tremendously from state to state. It is much more complicated than we know. Some Drivers are already on teamster plans were some are in the Company plan, tie that in with the variance of states, locals and retirement.......What it comes down to is leverage and to me and the Company has it. The first question we have to answer as members is whether Teamsters absorbing the plan is really a bad idea or that we are just reluctant for changing the system.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Walk into an insurance company and tell them we have 250,000 members, what can you do for us? That's considerable negotiating power.

brown_trousers

How does it not add up? Every contract the company is going to try and jerk us around over health care. It does not make it any easier for the Union to negotiate a national contract where Health Care varies tremendously from state to state. It is much more complicated than we know. Some Drivers are already on teamster plans were some are in the Company plan, tie that in with the variance of states, locals and retirement.......What it comes down to is leverage and to me and the Company has it. The first question we have to answer as members is whether Teamsters absorbing the plan is really a bad idea or that we are just reluctant for changing the system.

Im still wondering how teamsters absorbing our healthcare will benefit us teamsters in any way. It seems to me that it would just add another variable into our healthcare issue, thus complicating the issue more. I vote to just keep healthcare exactly as it is now. If it aint broke, dont fix it!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The company stated that their run health care plan because of the retirees created a liability problemweighing against their assets. Correct me if I am wrong but the company will contribute but the teamsters will be the administers of the program bargaining with one or more of the big health care providers like Blue or Aetna

First off it looks like the union is calling the company's bluff. Don't get me wrong the union would love to get ahold of are healthcare but they know the company won't give it up. Hopefully it works. Second it doesn't really matter because we should be fighting too have a nonpayment plan. I have Said it before it's like a snow ball going down a hill, once we pay it will not stop and it will get bigger and bigger. We need to make a stand.