Teamsters Vow To Stand With UPS Pilots On Picket Lines If The Independent Pilots Association Strikes

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
In an unqualified show of support the General President and General Secretary-Treasurer of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, pledged to the Independent Pilots Association that "if a strike is necessary, we will not cross your lines, but will stand with you on them."

This commitment came in a letter to IPA President. "The International Brotherhood of Teamsters represents 250,000 workers at United Parcel Service," said IPA President. "This unflinching support from the Teamsters on the eve of our strike vote is exactly what UPS needs to see – we all stand together in support of a new pilot contract."

In their letter the General President and General Secretary-Treasurer of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters also said, "UPS has continued to stall and drag its feet in completing an agreement with you and your hardworking members. Four years to negotiate a collective bargaining agreement is simply unacceptable," and that, "the Teamsters Union will stand with you in whatever decisions your members make."

The IPA will announce the result of its strike authorization vote tomorrow Friday, October 23 at approximately 10:30 a.m. EDT. If approved, the five-pilot IPA Executive Board will have the authority to formally request a release from federally mediated negotiations with UPS, and the discretion to conduct a strike once mediation is concluded.

Mutual support between the IBT and the IPA during contract negotiations with UPS runs deep. "The Teamsters have not forgotten the solidarity that your members showed us in 1997, when not one single IPA member crossed our picket lines," said the General President and General Secretary-Treasurer of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters in reference to the IBT's landmark 16-day strike of UPS.

To read the entire letter click through the following link: http://www.ipapilot.org/letters/IPALtr-10-20-15.pdf

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
What does this mean. No movement of ups packages at any facility? or just to and from an airport location

worldwide

Highly unlikely that a strike by the pilots would occur for several reasons.

The Railway Labor Act is the labor law that oversees these negotiations. The National Mediation Board has not declared an impasse in the negotiations, a necessary precursor to a legal strike. If the board, which has been mediating the negotiations, determines talks are deadlocked it could start a 30-day countdown toward a legal strike or lockout.

Even if the board cleared the way for a strike, Congress or the president could block it to prevent disruption in a key industry such as shipping.

It is estimated that UPS delivers more than 6% of the American Gross Domestic Product and 2% of global GDP each and every day. Congress or the president would not allow a pilots strike to happen due to the damage it would cause to an already fragile economy.

Strike authorization vote is a common tactic during negotiations and occurred during previous pilot contracts and they all were eventually signed. The fact that FedEx just signed their pilot agreement is also a positive sign things will get resolved.

All just part of the management-labor contract negotiations dance.

hdkappler

retired from ups.twelve years ago.work parttime in the real world.as far as benefits go at ups they are the best.people in the real world would love to have what I had.there are people who work at my place can't afford a car.just be glad they have what they have.(I had no shoes and I complained;till I met a person who had no feet)free medical etc.
what I mean to say people out here would love to have what they have.go back no work and forget the strike,be happy you have a job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

retired from ups.twelve years ago.work parttime in the real world.as far as benefits go at ups they are the best.people in the real world would love to have what I had.there are people who work at my place can't afford a car.just be glad they have what they have.(I had no shoes and I complained;till I met a person who had no feet)free medical etc.
what I mean to say people out here would love to have what they have.go back no work and forget the strike,be happy you have a job.

Nice story.

Did you miss the part where this is about the pilots who have been working for 5 years without a contract?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Highly unlikely that a strike by the pilots would occur for several reasons.

The Railway Labor Act is the labor law that oversees these negotiations. The National Mediation Board has not declared an impasse in the negotiations, a necessary precursor to a legal strike. If the board, which has been mediating the negotiations, determines talks are deadlocked it could start a 30-day countdown toward a legal strike or lockout.

Even if the board cleared the way for a strike, Congress or the president could block it to prevent disruption in a key industry such as shipping.

It is estimated that UPS delivers more than 6% of the American Gross Domestic Product and 2% of global GDP each and every day. Congress or the president would not allow a pilots strike to happen due to the damage it would cause to an already fragile economy.

Strike authorization vote is a common tactic during negotiations and occurred during previous pilot contracts and they all were eventually signed. The fact that FedEx just signed their pilot agreement is also a positive sign things will get resolved.

All just part of the management-labor contract negotiations dance.
You think it's fair that ups drags their feet for 5 years trying to come up with a contract... Typical bs from a corporation

Returntosender

What does this mean. No movement of ups packages at any facility? or just to and from an airport location
If you work at air gateway then no volume for you on a daily basis. Air gateways might get some packages via commercial airlines or cargo airlines, mostly likely those packages will be from UPS main accounts, Express scripts, Government packages, Grainger, H. Schein, Apple, etc.

It's peak season. Every peak season UPS airlines does not have lift capacity to move all the air volume. They contract other airlines to the move the volume. Glennlake most likely already has agreements in place with other air cargo airlines to move the volume in the event of strike. The ground hubs will just moving what air volume that can't get on a plane.