telematic is lurking in the background

when they are watching you on the computer mgt has too observe you on route before they can walk you off for stealing time right or wrong??how are you guys are dealing with this new way of mgt???

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've been approached a couple times about taking too long at stops and talking too much. It's my own fault even though with my talking (customer service) I will come in 1/2 hour under almost daily.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
A live observation can follow a virtual one, and yes contractually the co is supposed to have to PROVE dishonesty before disciplining. They can also just interview you to get a better idea of what the virtual ob shows, and they will likely interview you after a live ob. So.... be careful with and truthful with your answers.

Keep your own record of your delays and be upfront with the legitimate reasons that we all encounter daily.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Its a fine line between talking to a customer and loitering at thier address. I love talking, exspecially after delivering all day with out one word spoken. However I love my job and income even more. As said before just due the job as weve been instructed and even if you go outside of the lines a little every now and again you should be just fine.

overallowed

At our center, a common telematics harassment (done to nearly every driver) is a 40-45 minute lunch. 30 minutes for lunch, and then bit of time to move the rest of the stops up to the from of the car and drive to next stop. Mgmt is claiming this is stealing time, as the PAS system has car already set up (is anybody besides me ROTF laughing?). Even if it was set up correctly, it is still in the back of the car.
Are we supposed to get car up to 40mph and slam on the brakes? It will all be up front then.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We were told one day that our lunch starts from the time I hit stop complete at my last stop till the time I make a delivery at my next stop an hour later. I don't think soooooo. If I am operating a company vehicle to get to my lunch spot, I will be on the clock. If I were to get in an accident enroute to lunch they would probably try to get me for operating a vehicle off company time.

D

Dis-organized Labor

when they are watching you on the computer mgt has too observe you on route before they can walk you off for stealing time right or wrong??how are you guys are dealing with this new way of mgt???

I don't know the details on this, but the airline could probably have a field day in the airline for this "stealing time" thing

barnyard

KTM rider
We are starting to see some interesting stuff with telematics. Someone analyzed backing records and overlayed the GPS tracks onto maps and found drivers backing 2-300+ feet down city streets. Other examples were backing into condo complexes vs walking. Things like that.

Personally, I think that is a good use of telematics. We are told almost everyday to stay out of resi driveways, do not back up if you drive past a stop and back at a controlled speed. Drivers are still doing it and getting into easily avoidable crashes.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
We are starting to see some interesting stuff with telematics. Someone analyzed backing records and overlayed the GPS tracks onto maps and found drivers backing 2-300+ feet down city streets. Other examples were backing into condo complexes vs walking. Things like that.

Personally, I think that is a good use of telematics. We are told almost everyday to stay out of resi driveways, do not back up if you drive past a stop and back at a controlled speed. Drivers are still doing it and getting into easily avoidable crashes.
I've been 7 months without pulling into a resi driveway. Working as directed is beautiful.:happy2:

You should do the job as if the DM, center manager, and LP are in your car. Beat them at there own game use there methods, run trace ,be 100 percent on your pick up and do it everyday to the T. You will out last them all this way telematics is the managment end all there is no need for them anymore.

TheDick

My sup told me if they "tell you" they're looking at you for those reasons then thats enough to do a virtual then a visual or vice versa. Study up your 340 method. That'll save you even if they walk you off the job and terminate you just for shock value it'll will never stick. Remember misery is always free, especially at UPS.

True story: driver came back from trigger thumb surgery something aboot picking up the DIAD a certain way, whatever. He came back from surgery and his sup "trained" him to pick up the DIAD palm up or plam down i forget. anyway he did a visual from his personal vehicle and OB him picki9ng up the DIAD not the way he was trained by this sup-10 times. So he grabbed a driver from another route came back and fired him on the spot. Next day cause it was a "working termination" we're :surprised:all wondering:dissapointed: how we shouuld pick-up the DIAD how we should place it in the cradle and then :knockedout:how to pick it up. Anyways it was HILARIOUS but the fact is the term. was rescinded and we laughed aboot it further.:happy-very::funny:

What i took from this is weather you do ur methods or not you could be targeted for harrassment by Rtard SUPS.
This driver is latin/afro american. and knows and performs his methods all day long but shows 3hours late everyday. We're thinking of starting a pool to find out when hes gonna pull the race card and get a lawyer. We're pretty sure UPS has it coming if only by threat.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We are starting to see some interesting stuff with telematics. Someone analyzed backing records and overlayed the GPS tracks onto maps and found drivers backing 2-300+ feet down city streets. .

When Telematics was first implemented here is was touted as a "safety" enhancement, and the flavor of the week was to monitor and reduce backing.

I was once called in, shown the printout, and asked to explain why I backed up almost 250 feet at one particular stop. My response was that the sensor must have been in error, because the parking lot in question was only about 90 feet wide. I even took a picture of it with my cellphone to prove it.

We had another driver who was shown to have driven in reverse at over 25MPH (impossible) for 9 blocks.

There are some serious accuracy issues with the software, and as per the contract the data cannot be used for disciplinary purposes. When questioned about any Telematics-related data, my standard response is..."I dont recall."

monkeybutt

[quoteown287;635043]Its a fine line between talking to a customer and loitering at thier address. I love talking, exspecially after delivering all day with out one word spoken. However I love my job and income even more. As said before just due the job as weve been instructed and even if you go outside of the lines a little every now and again you should be just fine.[/quote]

Management does not want the PC driver nor their CSR to develop any sort of relationship with the customer. Sell the service and move on, deliver the package and move on.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
[quoteown287;635043]Its a fine line between talking to a customer and loitering at thier address. I love talking, exspecially after delivering all day with out one word spoken. However I love my job and income even more. As said before just due the job as weve been instructed and even if you go outside of the lines a little every now and again you should be just fine.

Management does not want the PC driver nor their CSR to develop any sort of relationship with the customer. Sell the service and move on, deliver the package and move on.[/QUOTE]This is where you pretend to be a robot or not. Sorry, I'm only human, though I may have some unique super powers, my humanity can't help but show through.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You should do the job as if the DM, center manager, and LP are in your car. Beat them at there own game use there methods, run trace ,be 100 percent on your pick up and do it everyday to the T. You will out last them all this way telematics is the managment end all there is no need for them anymore.

+1

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
I had a now retired driver tell me of the time the company started the "driver release" option. It was touted by management as a way to get drivers home to their families. Larry stood up and said "You guys are lying. You're just doing this so you can give us more work. I guarantee you that in 6 months everybody is going to have at least 20 more stops per day."

Guess he was right.

UPS is using telematics as a way to reduce inefficiency but it also makes an excellent weapon.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I had a now retired driver tell me of the time the company started the "driver release" option. It was touted by management as a way to get drivers home to their families. Larry stood up and said "You guys are lying. You're just doing this so you can give us more work. I guarantee you that in 6 months everybody is going to have at least 20 more stops per day."

Guess he was right.

UPS is using telematics as a way to reduce inefficiency but it also makes an excellent weapon.
For both of us. If you do everything according to those methods, you can't go wrong.