Telematics and discipline.

First time posting, been reading for years. Anyways got a warning letter for a seat belt today for 1 seatbelt violation and for .01 miles. Is this new standard. What gets me is I was trained to do it the old way and always have a few a day but not a word is ever said. Have guys with miles of seatbelt violations and nothing gets said expect so and so needs to buckle up.

oldngray

nowhere special
With telematics I changed my routine to make sure the seatbelt was always definitely latched before trying to start truck. It added a couple of seconds to every stop but kept me off the tattletale reports. Before I would fasten seatbelt as I started up at the same time, but that ran the risk of fumbling the latch and not getting it fastened first. Do what you have to do even if it takes longer to protect yourself.

I guess so. Maybe 3 a day with 200 stops. Never had more than that. Just thinking that it's kinda bs for 1 at .01 miles. I was told that's the shortest they can even measure it. I'm thinking more like 5 feet not 50 feet

By The Book

First time posting, been reading for years. Anyways got a warning letter for a seat belt today for 1 seatbelt violation and for .01 miles. Is this new standard. What gets me is I was trained to do it the old way and always have a few a day but not a word is ever said. Have guys with miles of seatbelt violations and nothing gets said expect so and so needs to buckle up.
They can issue a warning letter for just about anything. Since it actually happened, they will say its been ongoing and have to correct the behavior. Train yourself a different way. You miss one out of possibly 175 times a day so it will be easy to fix. Sit in seat, put seatbelt on(click) then start truck. Rinse and repeat.

I refused the letter and told them that this is not an on going problem. So I guess I will be watching for new cars in the area from now on. Just getting tired if the constant beat down for something so minor.

By The Book

I refused the letter and told them that this is not an on going problem. So I guess I will be watching for new cars in the area from now on. Just getting tired if the constant beat down for something so minor.
As a shop steward I would have told you to apologize and you will do better. You have to own things you do here. Now when you think it's getting warm it's probably the bright light shining on you.

30 to life

In our building the car washers are sub contracted and never were their seat belt. They kept making seatbelt violations come up on telematics check the time it happened and were.

Never a word about seatbelts. Constant beat down means in general terms of the daily grind. Not over always on time just constant moral killer I guess I'm trying to say.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In our building the car washers are sub contracted and never were their seat belt. They kept making seatbelt violations come up on telematics check the time it happened and were.

This is complete and total BS!!

Telematics only works when the PC is
linked to a DIAD.

Car washers do not generate Telematics' violations.

By The Book

Never a word about seatbelts. Constant beat down means in general terms of the daily grind. Not over always on time just constant moral killer I guess I'm trying to say.
Don't dwell on it! Try to forget it as soon as possible. I think it's a corporate mandate and its the flavor of the month right now.

By The Book

linked to a DIAD.

With that being said if a driver pulls into the yard and stays on a long break, would they still be linked if someone moved the pkg car without seat belt? Your post made me think of mine.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

linked to a DIAD.

no, that isnt correct. last year an on road supe met a driver on area to do a series of planned Safety Rides and left a pkg car at Costco. We had 2 accidents that day,and in the insanity that followed the supe was shuttled amongst 3 or 4 drivers to help get the work done. The supe worked untill 10 that nite and forgot he'd left the car at Costco due to the insanity of the day. The Local Sort supe FREAKED when he couldn't find the package car as part of his nightly checklist and called teh center manager at home.
They used Telematics to pinpoint where the package car was and the Local Sort supe and a Reloader went and got it.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
To the OP: File a Harassment Grievance and the Warning Letter will be dropped. As Telematics is the Flavour of the Month at your Center a certain amount of Warning Letters have to be issued so the DM will think the center manager is addressing the problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

no, that isnt correct. last year an on road supe met a driver on area to do a series of planned Safety Rides and left a pkg car at Costco. We had 2 accidents that day,and in the insanity that followed the supe was shuttled amongst 3 or 4 drivers to help get the work done. The supe worked untill 10 that nite and forgot he'd left the car at Costco due to the insanity of the day. The Local Sort supe FREAKED when he couldn't find the package car as part of his nightly checklist and called teh center manager at home.
They used Telematics to pinpoint where the package car was and the Local Sort supe and a Reloader went and got it.

The PC had been linked to a DIAD at some point during the day---that is the only way they were able to find it.