Telematics and management; ten years from now....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I hereby make the following prediction.

Ten years from now, once Telematics has been fully implemented, the number of Operations staff (center manager's and on-car sups) will be cut by two thirds.

The job of "on car sup" will be outsourced...to some guy named Patel making $3 an hour who sits in a little room in Bombay and "supervises" 25 drivers simultaneously via Telematics.

PCM's will be conducted via an online video link. You will never meet Patel face to face; but he will supervise you, along with 25 of your co-workers, in real time on a bank of computer monitors.

Were you overallowed? Did you leave your bulkhead door open, or break trace to go pee? If so, you will answer to Patel. The fact that Patel has never done your job or been to your country wont matter; Telematics will give him all the information he needs to "supervise" you every moment of the day. He is pretty much like the IE management we have now, only he will make less than a tenth of what they do.

The job of training and safety rides will be performed by part-time sups who float from center-to-center as needed. Otherwise, the actual day-to-day management of the center will be outsourced to Patel and his kin via Telematics.

I guess the nice part about this is that, in addition to supervising you, Patel can probably provide tech support for that new laptop you just bought. Just make sure you code the time out as lunch first, or as soon as he gets your computer fixed he will fire you for stealing time.

tieguy

Banned
I hereby make the following prediction.

Ten years from now, once Telematics has been fully implemented, the number of Operations staff (center manager's and on-car sups) will be cut by two thirds.

The job of "on car sup" will be outsourced...to some guy named Patel making $3 an hour who sits in a little room in Bombay and "supervises" 25 drivers simultaneously via Telematics.

PCM's will be conducted via an online video link. You will never meet Patel face to face; but he will supervise you, along with 25 of your co-workers, in real time on a bank of computer monitors.

Were you overallowed? Did you leave your bulkhead door open, or break trace to go pee? If so, you will answer to Patel. The fact that Patel has never done your job or been to your country wont matter; Telematics will give him all the information he needs to "supervise" you every moment of the day. He is pretty much like the IE management we have now, only he will make less than a tenth of what they do.

The job of training and safety rides will be performed by part-time sups who float from center-to-center as needed. Otherwise, the actual day-to-day management of the center will be outsourced to Patel and his kin via Telematics.

I guess the nice part about this is that, in addition to supervising you, Patel can probably provide tech support for that new laptop you just bought. Just make sure you code the time out as lunch first, or as soon as he gets your computer fixed he will fire you for stealing time.

your point was what? Were we all supposed to feel bad after we read this?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

No, I think what sober is saying here is we should feel happy for Patel since he will be making a better return for the shareholders than the many mgmt staff members currently nursing at the trough. So to speak.

klein

Für Meno :)
He forgot to mention Patel will also be our new "Salesguy" LOL
Our MUST leads go to Patel, and he takes it from there.
India is known for wheeling and dealing !:greedy:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Plus, Patel is far less likely to sue over unpaid overtime, unlike the current salesforce!

spif91

You forgot to mention the local motels he owns on the side....,I think the last 5 years I was in package I didn't deliver to a run down motel that the persons last name wasn't Patel

klein

Für Meno :)
Don't forget Patel will also supply uniforms from India.
And any major accidents we have here. Those trucks will be sent to him (very useful in India).
Our new fleet, will come from him , too (refurbished).
And once he does that, he will realize why just send trucks ? We will send Patels family over and they can drive them.
They should past customs easily with wearing UPS uniforms, made in India.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

My point...was that the actual job of managing a center has been outsourced to IE for some time now. Our so-called "center managers" and "on car supervisors" are little more than puppets who dont even have the authority to decide which hand to wipe their butts with any more. Since the real decisions involved in managing and dispatching a center are being made by absent and unaccountable individuals...from IE...the next logical step in this progression will be to use the Telematics technology to send that same work overseas. After all, if we are going to be harassed and micromanaged by clueless fools....why should UPS be paying those fools an $80K per year IE wage when Patel in Bombay could accomplish the same thing for $3 an hour?

And as far as whether or not you are supposed to "feel bad" about this, that is up to the individual. It wont affect me, since I will be retired. I can tell you, though, that I would hate to be a 24 yr old on-car sup today.....

JustTired

free at last.......
Sober
The only flaw I find in your thinking ......is that in ten years India will have priced itself out of the market. With their economy growing faster than any other country (with the possible exception of China), the cost will be too high to make it cost effective. UPS (and others) will have to look elsewhere for cheap labor. Heck, by then it might be cheaper to hire in the U.S.

After all....we're on our way to becoming the "newest" third world country. Third world being defined as "The richest of the rich and the poorest of the poor and nothing in between".

tourists24

Dont know if it's just the flavor of the month around here or not, but for at least 3 months now the only thing our on cars do is ride along with drivers to see why so much overallowed. The decision is made who to ride with, then off they go... When they get back to the building that evening, they get right on the computers and start looking at the reports. Next morning, it starts all over.

tieguy

Banned
He forgot to mention Patel will also be our new "Salesguy" LOL
Our MUST leads go to Patel, and he takes it from there.
India is known for wheeling and dealing !:greedy:

I'm curious why you chose to use the word our when it no longer applies to you?

tieguy

Banned
My point...was that the actual job of managing a center has been outsourced to IE for some time now. Our so-called "center managers" and "on car supervisors" are little more than puppets who dont even have the authority to decide which hand to wipe their butts with any more. Since the real decisions involved in managing and dispatching a center are being made by absent and unaccountable individuals...from IE...the next logical step in this progression will be to use the Telematics technology to send that same work overseas. After all, if we are going to be harassed and micromanaged by clueless fools....why should UPS be paying those fools an $80K per year IE wage when Patel in Bombay could accomplish the same thing for $3 an hour?

And as far as whether or not you are supposed to "feel bad" about this, that is up to the individual. It wont affect me, since I will be retired. I can tell you, though, that I would hate to be a 24 yr old on-car sup today.....

I think if you're center management team is blaming IE for operations decisions then your team is exercising the IE cop out.