Telematics and Peak

UPSGUY72

It's kind on comical on how telematics really doesn't matter during peak. Everyday they post the reports for us to see. There are drivers with 60 to 70 recording while idling, a couple of recording while driving and multiple bulk head door open and seatbealts off, and not a peep is heard about it.

brownelf

not in my world, everyday I'm in the office with the center manager with a driver who shows up on a report. Anything more than one or two and he's all over you. Many seem to be glitches of some type in the system involving the way the DIAD III and IV talk to eachother during the day. Many sheeting while driving counts on drivers w/no past problems for some reason. I'll be happy when peaks over and we get back to using just one board.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Peak pretty much means a free pass on the Telematics BS.

I am still 100% on seat belt and BH door, that is a safety issue. But recording while traveling? Gee, it must have been my helper who pulled the board out and used it.:wink2:

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I dont have telemetics yet. But I do have a helper who can use the DIAD, now if I give him a stop and I restart the car when he is making the stop and sheeting does that count as sheeting well idling?

soberups

not in my world, everyday I'm in the office with the center manager with a driver who shows up on a report. Anything more than one or two and he's all over you. Many seem to be glitches of some type in the system involving the way the DIAD III and IV talk to eachother during the day. Many sheeting while driving counts on drivers w/no past problems for some reason. I'll be happy when peaks over and we get back to using just one board.

Sounds like a center manager who desnt have enough important stuff to worry about. Most center manager's are too busy with actual work this time of year to be wasting time over Telematics drivel. "Sheeting while driving" happens all the time for me, I will give my DIAD IV to the helper and have him walk off a stop while I am turning around in a cul-de-sac or backing up. Or I will have him pull the board and read my next 8 stops off to me while I am driving so I can plan ahead. Or he will have a package in his lap and I will have him scan and stop complete it while I am driving so that I can use the DIAD while he is walking it off. The DIAD III that he is supposed to be using is so slow as to be practically useless; it freezes up on us and it doesnt always have the full DOL for the route programmed into it, which means that I have to "override" every stop. I only complete 5 or 6 stops per day with it, its primary purpose is to act as a dog shield for my helper to carry with him when he is walking off a stop.

soberups

I dont have telemetics yet. But I do have a helper who can use the DIAD, now if I give him a stop and I restart the car when he is making the stop and sheeting does that count as sheeting well idling?

It "counts" in the sense that it will cause you to show up on a report that will probably be tossed into a wastebasket the moment that it gets spit out of your center manager's printer.

In the real world that you are doing your job in, it doesnt "count" for anything.

soberups

We need to be a little smarter about our pay than the UAW was. They basically contracted themselves right out of jobs.

No, they lost their jobs because the companies that they worked for continued building vehicles that nobody wanted to buy. GM was still building gas-hog SUV's when gas hit $4 per gallon and there was a 9-month long waiting list of people who wanted to buy a Prius. Imagine how many UAW members would still be working if Ford and GM had started building hybrid vehicles 5 years ago.

UPSGUY72

No, they lost their jobs because the companies that they worked for continued building vehicles that nobody wanted to buy. GM was still building gas-hog SUV's when gas hit $4 per gallon and there was a 9-month long waiting list of people who wanted to buy a Prius. Imagine how many UAW members would still be working if Ford and GM had started building hybrid vehicles 5 years ago.

+1

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That's very true Sober, but workers making in excess of 50$ an hour certainly didn't help keep GM afloat. I'm just saying................:peaceful:

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?

The only problem with this thinking is that Toyota loses money on every Prius they sell, this was in car and driver a few months back.
Also Toyota is non-union and dont have the pension and medical cost when their people retire. This is the same advantage FEDEX has over UPS.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Toyota sells the Pirus for $24,000 at a lost for several reasons ( actual cost is close to $40,000 ), but then they make double the profit on every SUV & truck .
If one recalls when the Prius first come out nobody was buying them, nor the Honda version.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Toyota sells the Pirus for $24,000 at a lost for several reasons ( actual cost is close to $40,000 ), but then they make double the profit on every SUV & truck .
If one recalls when the Prius first come out nobody was buying them, nor the Honda version.

I'm confused!
If they make $0 profit on the Prius but double the profit on the SUVs and trucks ... isn't that still $0 profit?

+2

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We need to be a little smarter about our pay than the UAW was. They basically contracted themselves right out of jobs.

It was only a matter of time ... the cost to provide retirement benefits put the the US car companies in a vulnerable position. We, the American taxpayer, bailed out the pension plan of GM and Chrysler for the time being.