Telematics Before/After

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I am currently driving a P700 equipped with telematics. What I have noticed is the fuel economy is atrocious. Maybe 7 miles to the gallon. Usually....on my other 700 I was getting 10-12. It was explained to me by the mechanic that with all the electronics it affects the efficiency. Now my question is.....why would a company invest so much money in a system that inhibits the fuel economy of an entire fleet of trucks? Where is the savings?

satellitedriver

You have to be kidding.
The amp load demand by the telematic package would be like you driving your personal car with the radio on.
No way could you get a 30% reduction because of a few electronics.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Are the P-7's identical models? The Internationals only get about 7 or 8 MPG's, whereas the Freightliners get 11 or 12.

kingOFchester

You have to be kidding.
The amp load demand by the telematic package would be like you driving your personal car with the radio on.
No way could you get a 30% reduction because of a few electronics.

Yea, ain't buying the tell-on-me-aticts drop the fuel economy by 30%....3% would be hard to believe.

gman042

Same international models/same vintage. There must be something else wrong then. Just wondering if this was the case or the exception.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
No way its telemetics doing it, I am no fan of telmetics but come on.

If the the PC's are the same model then you have an issue with the engine.

I mean I drive my own car with a radio, AC, heated seats, rear defrost, open windows, nothing causes me to lose more then a few 1/10ths of MPG.

You do not have a telemetics issue you have an engine issue.

gman042

Truck runs fine. Good power. It just uses excess fuel. BLACK smoke everytime I shift. I am just going on what the mech. told me was the issue.

rod

Retired 22 years
Fuel milage was something I never worried about---(unless it was my own personal vehical). Actually for about the last 7 years I was working I had an International P-700 Diesel that I had to fill up on route because we didn't have a diesel pump at the center. I loved that it was a fuel hog because the station I filled up at gave a free carwash coupon with every 100 gallons of fuel used. My personal pickup got a free wash at least once every week.