Telematics-who watches the watchers?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We go live with Telematics on Monday. Management had a meeting with us stewards on Friday morning to explain the Telematics system, how it works, and how it will be implemented.

The system will allow a sup to observe how many times and for how far a vehicle moved without the seat belt buckled or woth the bulkhead door opened. A map (Mapquest or Google Earth) will show the route traveled by the package car and any distance traveled with the belt unbuckled or door opened will be highlighted in red. It will also display backing exceptions (where the vehicle is started and immediately put into reverse, as opposed to backing first and then making the delivery). Supposedly, any driver found to be in violation of these basic safety procedures will be talked to by management and if their behavior doesnt change they can be subject to on-area observations that could result in disciplinary action.

My question is this; will the information about drivers who violate safety rules be forwarded to Corporate, or will it stay at the center level only? I ask this question because, as we all know, every center has its share of "bonus drivers" who take all kinds of unsafe shortcuts in order to make themselves and their management look good on paper. Management typically overlooks such behavior as long as the driver doing it is productive, but if the driver in question is overallowed he will be subject to excessive scrutiny and production harrassment. Will center-level management still be able to continue this practice, or will a chronically unsafe employee who leaves the door open and doesnt use his seatbelt show up on a report a little higher up the corporate food chain? I would like to think that the Telematics system will be used equally...but I'm not holding my breath.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sober, you make some excellent points in your thread. The ideal solution would be to hire an independent agency or person for each center who would monitor Telematics and would report directly to the district safety person, not to the center team. Better yet, the data from Telematics should be forwarded directly to the district, thereby bypassing the center team completely and eliminating any chance of bias based upon performance or any other criteria. However, as you already know, this is not going to happen and it will be the center team that will gather and then have control over the use of the data acquired through Telematics. I would also hope that this data would be used the same whether it is being used to monitor a runner or a milker.

I think that all of this concern over Telematics is overblown. As p-man said, it will be used initially to establish a baseline and it will then be used to correct unsafe behaviors. Another poster said that most drivers will make sure to follow the methods now that they know that they are being monitored. There has been no mention of its implementation here but I could really care one way or the other as it will not affect the way that I do my job.

QKRSTKR

So your telling me I'm going to have a system that tells them if I farted or sneezed when I unbuckle my seat belt or open bulk head door but I'll still be in my 1986 gmc with no power steering?

I can't believe they can hook this up to a truck that is 23 years old. I do however follow the rules. I don't think about moving the truck without my seatbelt on. The runners are the ones who don't close their bulk doors while driving. Seems like ups will lose time from these runners. Or the runners will be the one's getting canned.

pretzel_man

Sober,

All the information is kept on a corporate server. No one in corporate has ever asked about individual drivers as far as I know. Even though the information is kept on the corporate server by driver, they seem to only analyze center totals.

With the exception of the back first element, I think I mentioned the others before. I've found the back first element to be inaccurate sometimes.

Because they can put a Google Earth satellite image on the screen, this provides better insight into the data.

Some other info... They can play back your day. A little dot shows how you travelled through your area. They will look for inefficient travel between stops (mainly only very flagrant deviations). They will also look for when, where, and how long lunch was taken.

Again, I think its a good thing to have a supervisor show you the screens and review your route. Kind of like an in office OJS.

P-Man

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sober,

All the information is kept on a corporate server. No one in corporate has ever asked about individual drivers as far as I know. Even though the information is kept on the corporate server by driver, they seem to only analyze center totals.

With the exception of the back first element, I think I mentioned the others before. I've found the back first element to be inaccurate sometimes.

Because they can put a Google Earth satellite image on the screen, this provides better insight into the data.

Some other info... They can play back your day. A little dot shows how you travelled through your area. They will look for inefficient travel between stops (mainly only very flagrant deviations). They will also look for when, where, and how long lunch was taken.

Again, I think its a good thing to have a supervisor show you the screens and review your route. Kind of like an in office OJS.

P-Man

So what was the one terminable offense out of the 1500?

backinbrown

respect my authority
I predict that ups will not need as many supervisors after a while on telemetrics.

Only makes sense how many people does it take to look at info and discipline

I have spoken it shall happen

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober,

P-Man

P-man,

Is there something in place to insure that a center management team can't "selectively" enforce the rules with the new technology?

I have no problem with being monitored, and it goes without saying that seatbelts should be worn at all times. My concern is that certain "special people" who make the center look good on paper with their production will have their violations conveniently "overlooked".

Will a chronic repeat offender raise flags in the system beyond the center level?

I can see the benefits of this new system for the driver who follows methods, follows the trace, and is being harassed simply for running "overallowed". He will be able to show that he was doing everything by the book. Theoretically, the driver who makes bonus by speeding, leaving bulkhead door open, no seat belt, skipping lunch etc. will no longer be able to hide this behavior. The question is...will it be tolerated?

Browner

P-man,

Is there something in place to insure that a center management team can't "selectively" enforce the rules with the new technology?

I have no problem with being monitored, and it goes without saying that seatbelts should be worn at all times. My concern is that certain "special people" who make the center look good on paper with their production will have their violations conveniently "overlooked".

Will a chronic repeat offender raise flags in the system beyond the center level?

I can see the benefits of this new system for the driver who follows methods, follows the trace, and is being harassed simply for running "overallowed". He will be able to show that he was doing everything by the book. Theoretically, the driver who makes bonus by speeding, leaving bulkhead door open, no seat belt, skipping lunch etc. will no longer be able to hide this behavior. The question is...will it be tolerated?
as if the job isnt demanding enough now were wired :whiteflag:

S

speeddemon

As far as the Google earth goes, its been in error in my center already a few times. It stated that we have been misdelivering boxes, and we have not. I dont buy it, and I love gadgets.

upsdude

As far as the Google earth goes, its been in error in my center already a few times. It stated that we have been misdelivering boxes, and we have not. I dont buy it, and I love gadgets.

Exactly! My DIAD/GPS gave alerts for a stretch of 12 stops Friday. All packages were recorded within 5 feet of the front door.

Atlanta must get really P-Off that they still need humans behind the wheel.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I do things the old fashioned way. Look at the address and deliver the pkg to the correct stop. Let the tech geeks create their own job security with their gadgets.

Bad Gas!

We have to slow down and get the methods exactly right...And we still need sales leads from everyone of you today...LOL

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
If I may,the tellematics are not only for drivers, they are for mechanics aswell! We can look at how the truck is running on a report, anything from the sensor on the bulkhead , brake light switch and the reverse sensor to what codes are displayed in the computer memory. Allso the morning mechanic can go online and pull a report for any and or all package cars on property and look at battery voltage, u know how preload loves the lights on all night!!! LOL and can go over and change a battery or two before dispatch so not to cause a center delay. The system is not bad, and if your doing your job- then screw everyone else, you got nothing to worry about. Don't be afraid of seeing your mechanic to make sure your sensors in the car for tellematics are working right, this will help prevent any problems with the bosses. we can check and see if things are right with the system. We have allready had drivers being accused of wrong doing in my hub and they where saved by automotive because we found the bulkhead sensor **** the bed. Well thats it from a mechanics piont of view.
DON'T BE SHY, GIVE IT A TRY!!!

diesel96

Lucy - you got some splainen to do:surprised:

"Honey", I'm home....ehh ehh ehh

Didn't know you peak-a-panish..Rodrigo....lol

If I may,the tellematics are not only for drivers, they are for mechanics aswell! We can look at how the truck is running on a report, anything from the sensor on the bulkhead , brake light switch and the reverse sensor to what codes are displayed in the computer memory. Allso the morning mechanic can go online and pull a report for any and or all package cars on property and look at battery voltage, u know how preload loves the lights on all night!!! LOL and can go over and change a battery or two before dispatch so not to cause a center delay. The system is not bad, and if your doing your job- then screw everyone else, you got nothing to worry about. Don't be afraid of seeing your mechanic to make sure your sensors in the car for tellematics are working right, this will help prevent any problems with the bosses. we can check and see if things are right with the system. We have allready had drivers being accused of wrong doing in my hub and they where saved by automotive because we found the bulkhead sensor **** the bed. Well thats it from a mechanics piont of view.
DON'T BE SHY, GIVE IT A TRY!!!

Thanks for the insight....I'm sure Brown Cafe members will start PM'ing you for "How to bypass the sensors tips"...:innocent:

Sober addresses valid arguements foreseeing disciplinary wars in store via Telematics. But I'm going to hijack this thread for a moment and try to look at cause and effect. Why spend a significant amount of money on technology unless you expect a solid return.
Think about it people, I might not like it, but this is a smart move IMO by UPS braintrust. Not only will Telematics moniter Drivers actions more closely but reduce safety/method inadequcies while driving, improve fleet vehicle maintenance, save fuel from those who deviate off the beaten path of their route and take the long way home (you know who you are), and all that bonus reduction (x)'s nationwide number of vehicles/drivers = X amount of dollars saved. Not to mention the possibility of a reduced liability rate negotiated from UPS's Ins carrier.
I guess UPS braintrust want their cake and eat it to. Just don't ask us to give up our raises this Aug....