Telematics-Yawn

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He doesn't have request anything. Just do the route the way it is set up and if they have a problem, they can show him how to do it without backing. As a top 3 backer in my center, (average 45-55 backs a day with a goal of 36) I have yet to be spoken to about backs because they know it's part of the route. Never heard of a check ride Do you work for fedex?

Check ride, S&V, safety ride--no matter the terminology, it all means the same--a member of mgt riding with you. He is working way too hard trying to meet an unrealistic goal. I suggested the check ride so that his mgt team can see that the goal of 30 backs is unrealistic.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Common sense has to come in to play at some point. Loading docks are designed to be backed on to. You are making way too much work for yourself trying to meet an arbitrary goal.

If I were you I would request a check ride. 30 backs is an unrealistic goal on an industrial route.

"Common sense" means nothing to a management person who is chasing a number.

UPS spent "X" number of dollars to install Telematics, and those who authorized that expense must justify it by seeing "X" number of reductions in backs. It all makes sense from within a cubicle; anything seems possible when you are unencumbered by the necessity of doing your job in the real world.

Last edited:

soberups

Check ride, S&V, safety ride--no matter the terminology, it all means the same--a member of mgt riding with you. He is working way too hard trying to meet an unrealistic goal. I suggested the check ride so that his mgt team can see that the goal of 30 backs is unrealistic.

In all likelihood, his management team already knows that the goal is unrealistic. That doesnt change the fact that they have no choice but to chase the number anyway. He has nothing to gain by trying to discuss the issue with them in a rational manner. He needs to just do his job as safely and efficiently as possible and accept the reality that any action he takes to get his name off of one report will simply cause him to appear on a different one. He is paid to deliver packages, not manipulate irrelevant metrics.

pretzel_man

"Common sense" means nothing to a management person who is chasing a number.

UPS spent "X" number of dollars to install Telematics, and those who authorized that expense must justify it by seeing "X" number of reductions in backs. It all makes sense from within a cubicle; anything seems possible when you are unencumbered by the necessity of doing your job in the real world.

Yes, there are often meaningless metrics and unattainable goals.... That exists in all businesses and is better than no metrics or goals at all.

Telematics however is NOT measured by attaining those goals however. Its a means to an end. A leading indicator if you will.

Telematics has been scrutinized every which way and has shown significant benefit. Maybe the system save nothing on your route. I could believe that. However, there are many drivers that are not quite so good. I points out those drivers as well.

Its not realistic to think that such a greedy company would spend money on telematics without actually measuring a real world benefit......

I am surprised at those savings, but they exist.

soberups

Telematics has been scrutinized every which way and has shown significant benefit. Maybe the system save nothing on your route. I could believe that. However, there are many drivers that are not quite so good. I points out those drivers as well.

I am more than willing to accept advice and constructive criticism from any management person who is willing to come on out in the real world and show me where positive changes can be made. I dont know everything, I'm not perfect, and when you have been in the same area and following the same routine for long enough its easy to overlook potential improvements that are obvious to a set of "fresh eyes". I did eventually have a supervisor come out and show me two specific stops where I was backing uneccesarily or in a less than ideal manner simply out of habit. His observations were correct and I worked as instructed and changed my routine accordingly.

We are talking about two stops....not the twenty that some geek in a cubicle decided should be my "goal" based upon nothing more than speculation and Telematics readouts.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I'm unclear on what's trying to be changed here. UPS is going to keep telematics...they are going to continue to justify the money pit they started with telematics...do your job correctly, let them show you where you can do better...make that money and go home. If it's too hard for you and your family, I'm very sorry...but UPS was hard for families 15 years ago when I started. Nothing new under the sun. They can do what they want, when they want, and for the most part how they want. There's limits of course. UPS cant expect the increased workload to not result in quicker wear down or injuries. They can try but they'll be laughed at in almost any court of law. It's a no win. It's ok to vent which is what I expect most folk are doing. I don't like telematics myself. Way to create something that's eventually going to have to be repaired. Especially the automatic doors. Get some pebbles in the door track and that low sprung spring will not work anymore. It's like a screen door spring...nothing to it. It's going to be more repair than savings within five years. More short sighted tech.

soberups

Its not realistic to think that such a greedy company would spend money on telematics without actually measuring a real world benefit......

I am surprised at those savings, but they exist.

When those who authorized the expense and placed themselves in charge of its implementation are also the ones who supposedly measure its benefits, that comes as no surprise.

It is human as well as corporate nature to go to extra lengths in order to justify a decision that we wish to make. It is human as well as corporate nature to "exaggerate" the benefits of a decision we have already made in order to cast that decision in the best possible light.

Those who came up with the idea of Telematics and whose job security...perceived or otherwise...was dependent upon (a) successfully implementing it and (b) proving its cost-effectiveness have a vested interest in seeing to it that the system meets or exceeds the expectations that they created when they proposed it in the first place.

Is Telematics a benefit to UPS as a whole? Yes. Does it have the potential to improve measurements such as miles, backs, seatbelt usage etc.? Yes. Were those potential improvements "exaggerated" by those who put their reputations on the line promoting the new system? Yes. So has there been undue pressure on front-line management to generate the metrics...by whatever means necessary... that justify the expense in the first place? YES!

pretzel_man

When those who authorized the expense and placed themselves in charge of its implementation are also the ones who supposedly measure its benefits, that comes as no surprise.

It is human as well as corporate nature to go to extra lengths in order to justify a decision that we wish to make. It is human as well as corporate nature to "exaggerate" the benefits of a decision we have already made in order to cast that decision in the best possible light.

Those who came up with the idea of Telematics and whose job security...perceived or otherwise...was dependent upon (a) successfully implementing it and (b) proving its cost-effectiveness have a vested interest in seeing to it that the system meets or exceeds the expectations that they created when they proposed it in the first place.

Is Telematics a benefit to UPS as a whole? Yes. Does it have the potential to improve measurements such as miles, backs, seatbelt usage etc.? Yes. Were those potential improvements "exaggerated" by those who put their reputations on the line promoting the new system? Yes. So has there been undue pressure on front-line management to generate the metrics...by whatever means necessary... that justify the expense in the first place? YES!

You make assumptions that are just not true.....

The group that proposed and justified Telematics are NOT the group that measures it. There are corporate checks and balances.

Backing, seat belt, idle, Stop discrepancies..... All those are the local areas that are highlighted.

The true measure of success is NDPPH, SPOHR, accidents, Parts, Fuel use, etc.

Are those exaggerated??? NO.

You can believe it or not.... Those that make the decisions care about those bottom line results....

jaker

trolling
Just make sure your truck never goes back to hub ( I know haha ) but I am lucky my truck never goes to the hub good part about being a satellite driver , my sup told me they can't get a full report for me the diad will tell on me but without the truck it doesn't match up right