Tell UPS to get out of ALEC

ezmoney5150

This video was in Georgia, so you know that UPS was there.

http://mediamatters.org/video/2015/05/22/watch-this-atlanta-tv-station-expose-alecs-infl/203745

You, your family and your fellow workers are under attack from a secretive organization that wants to make you poorer. In every state, the corporate-sponsored American Legislative Exchange Council, ALEC, works behind the scenes to pass laws that empower billionaires and corporations. ALEC pushes laws to strip workers of their rights, eradicate public education, outsource everything that can’t be nailed down, weaken environmental and consumer protections, suppress voting and increase taxes on the poor and working class while slashing them for the wealthy and for large corporations.

Here’s how it works: ALEC pays for state lawmakers to attend “conferences” at lavish resorts. There they meet with corporate political donors, who also want to discuss some bills they’d like passed.

Right now, ALEC boasts almost 2,000 state legislators from every state and both political parties participate in their program. Almost 100 in the U.S. House of Representatives are listed as ALEC alumni members.

The current co-chair of the ALEC subcommittee on transportation is a lobbyist for the American Trucking Association. This trucking industry front has been fighting against truckers for years. In the past year alone, they have lobbied for a loophole preventing port drivers from becoming actual employees of the companies they work for and worked to eliminate lunch breaks for short-haul drivers.

Of the 826 ALEC model bills brought to state legislatures in 2009, 115 were made law. Multiple ALEC-sponsored bills intended to defund unions were pushed by Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker in 2011.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

http://mediamatters.org/video/2015/05/22/watch-this-atlanta-tv-station-expose-alecs-infl/203745

You, your family and your fellow workers are under attack from a secretive organization that wants to make you poorer. In every state, the corporate-sponsored American Legislative Exchange Council, ALEC, works behind the scenes to pass laws that empower billionaires and corporations. ALEC pushes laws to strip workers of their rights, eradicate public education, outsource everything that can’t be nailed down, weaken environmental and consumer protections, suppress voting and increase taxes on the poor and working class while slashing them for the wealthy and for large corporations.

Here’s how it works: ALEC pays for state lawmakers to attend “conferences” at lavish resorts. There they meet with corporate political donors, who also want to discuss some bills they’d like passed.

Right now, ALEC boasts almost 2,000 state legislators from every state and both political parties participate in their program. Almost 100 in the U.S. House of Representatives are listed as ALEC alumni members.

The current co-chair of the ALEC subcommittee on transportation is a lobbyist for the American Trucking Association. This trucking industry front has been fighting against truckers for years. In the past year alone, they have lobbied for a loophole preventing port drivers from becoming actual employees of the companies they work for and worked to eliminate lunch breaks for short-haul drivers.

Of the 826 ALEC model bills brought to state legislatures in 2009, 115 were made law. Multiple ALEC-sponsored bills intended to defund unions were pushed by Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker in 2011.

Wow, well written???
Copy and paste?

Either way, I agree, from start to finish.

Please tell me that the IBT is doing something other than posting "lost wage" officers in front of their local barns, distributing handbills, asking employees to convince managers to quit donating to this organization?
They were in front of my building last week.

It wont make a dent.

5habits100

Wow, well written???
Copy and paste?

Please tell me that the IBT is doing something other than posting "lost wage" officers in front of their local barns, distributing handbills, asking employees to convince managers to quit donating to this organization?

It wont make a dent.
Were you out there helping or just bashing the IBT? It isn't just on the IBT it's on all of us. But I guess that wouldn't help the anti Hoffa/Hall people.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Were you out there helping or just bashing the IBT? It isn't just on the IBT it's on all of us. But I guess that wouldn't help the anti Hoffa/Hall people.
This is why we must all give at least a $, or 2, to DRIVE.

If you ever want to know why or how, follow the money.
When you read something as you try to catch up on a thread, do us all a favor and dont post until you actually get caught up.
I answered your questions in my previous posts.

I have been giving to DRIVE since the first time I was asked.

This thread/issue has nothing to do with any upcoming union elections

HBGPreloader

You're worried about ALEC, yet obama and the democrats paid a "hired gun" by the name of gruber to author this monstrosity called obamacare - a law that Hoffa and other union presidents stated...
"...will shatter not only our hard-earned health benefits, but destroy the foundation of the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class."

10 point

When you read something as you try to catch up on a thread, do us all a favor and dont post until you actually get caught up.

I think he's a little grumpy today?

Last edited:

10 point

There's no link or phone # to write or call listed in our flyer.

That would be helpful because our management can't understand our contract language so I'm guessing our denouncing this organization would just be below their pay grade to investigate what we're talking about.

5habits100

I don't want to and you can't make me.
Simply giving to DRIVE isn't enough.
Maybe you should read.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You're worried about ALEC, yet obama and the democrats paid a "hired gun" by the name of gruber to author this monstrosity called obamacare - a law that Hoffa and other union presidents stated...
"...will shatter not only our hard-earned health benefits, but destroy the foundation of the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class."

The ACA was written by the insurance companies.

HBGPreloader

I wish you guys could make up your minds. I could have sworn that the left claimed it mirrored romneycare...
"“The White House wanted to lean a lot on what we’d done in Massachusetts,” said Jon Gruber, an MIT economist who advised the Romney administration on health care and who attended five meetings at the Obama White House in 2009, including the meeting with the president. “They really wanted to know how we can take that same approach we used in Massachusetts and turn that into a national model.”

Thanks to the provisions, like risk corridors', there is no doubt in my mind that the insurance companies played a significant role in the crafting of this monstrosity. Sadly, though, we may never know because the obama admin hasn't and won't release White House visitor logs prior to Sept 2009 - as noted by this statement...
"The voluntary disclosure policy will apply to records created after September 15, 2009, and the first release of records (covering the month of September) will occur at the end of the year, on or about December 31, 2009. We expect that each monthly release will include tens of thousands of electronic records. Since the White House considers these records to be subject to the Presidential Records Act, it will continue to preserve them accordingly."

trickpony1

It was written by somebody(s) who stood to make a bunch of money off it.

Has anyone noticed the premiums have gone up as well as the deductibles?

What are the chances the politicians who wrote the bill are getting kickbacks from the insurance companies?

.....and the uninformed voters thought it was gonna be just great.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

It was written by somebody(s) who stood to make a bunch of money off it.

Has anyone noticed the premiums have gone up as well as the deductibles?

What are the chances the politicians who wrote the bill are getting kickbacks from the insurance companies?

.....and the uninformed voters thought it was gonna be just great.
I sure am glad Hoffa and hall got us out of the ACA