Temp in back of package car

upsman68

hot temp.jpg

Here is the temp today August 3rd 2011 in a back of a package car in East Texas.
Now that is hot
hot temp.jpg

1080Driver

We had a heat wave here in the NYC area 2 weeks ago & I put a thermometer in the truck during lunch. That Thursday it read about 125, on the Friday it was way off the dial.....probably 145-150. I can post the pics if necessary.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
That unit needs some cross ventilation.
Would ups' stance on that be, "you only need to be in a package car for 3.2 seconds to grab a box for delivery, so 145 shouldn't be a problem."

satellitedriver

i remember many many moons ago it was an automatic warning letter if you hit your head coming out of a P-400
:happy2:
I always hated the wheel bearing grease the mechanics used to use to lube the plywood bulkhead door rail.
Too many times, I brushed the top of my head ducking thru.
Good thing I had dark hair back then.
Stepping into the back of the 400 from the rear was the big challenge.
Those two teeth like door latch stops on the top rail put some dents into my skull.
I have never been knocked out-(and I have had a lot of head shots)-,but those damn fangs brought me to my knees more than once.
The P400 was the most dangerous vehicle I have ever driven.

I always hated the wheel bearing grease the mechanics used to use to lube the plywood bulkhead door rail.
Those two teeth like door latch stops on the top rail put some dents into my skull.
I have never been knocked out-(and I have had a lot of head shots)-,but those damn fangs brought me to my knees more than once.

And I thought I was the only one who had problems with the old p-400. It was the first vehicle I drove at UPS and for a few days I couldn't figure out in the shower why my hair was so dirty and greasy.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

P400, plywood door, knocked out...must have been the good olé days when the job was really easy and really safe and it paid way better and there was AC, low steps, 3 point seat belts, power steering and an auto trans in every truck and everyone was happy and in love with each other. Ahhhhh, those days are long gone....

satellitedriver

View attachment 5541

Here is the temp today August 3rd 2011 in a back of a package car in East Texas.
Now that is hot
In this part of East Texas, a customer used an infrared thermometer "gun" while standing at the passenger side door.
The cab temp was 161 degrees.
He checked the back and it was a balmy 137 with both -(front and back)- doors open.
Thankfully the add/cuts bs have gone by the wayside-(for the moment)- and I only have "easy" days of 9.25hrs.
I guess if this job was easy only old men and young girls would do it.

satellitedriver

P400, plywood door, knocked out...must have been the good olé days when the job was really easy and really safe and it paid way better and there was AC, low steps, 3 point seat belts, power steering and an auto trans in every truck and everyone was happy and in love with each other. Ahhhhh, those days are long gone....

I will drink a cup of kindness to auld lang syne.

I do not miss those days, but I remember them well.
http://youtu.be/acxnmaVTlZA

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I always hated the wheel bearing grease the The P400 was the most dangerous vehicle I have ever driven.

Those were horrid little vehicles. 4-wheel drum brakes that would lock up if you even touched the brake pedal....no back-up lights....port-holes in the roof instead of opaque fiberglass that barely let any light in at all....doors that were scientifically designed to rip your scalp off if you forgot to duck....and the ergonomics of an iron maiden. You couldnt have designed a worse delivery vehicle if you tried.