Temporary Cover Driver

NickWill24

Hi all,

I just interviewed for a driver position at UPS and it was not what I thought. It was a Temporary cover driver position. They say I will work the preload shift for $11 an hour and only Drive when covering vacations and sick drivers. My question is: is it worth to get my foot in the door to do this? I have a family and a mortgage. $11 an hour will not be enough to support us. If I drive I will get paid $29 an hour. Will I be on a route enough? Any advice will help.

AlliSeeisBrown

It just depends where you are. I drove everyday as cover here. The more you know, the more they will use you. My personal advice is to take what you can get, unless you already have fluent employment, then search for what you really want.

AlliSeeisBrown

I ended up fairly lucky. I started unloading in June '16. Reg Temp Driver (seasonal cover driver) October '16. Went Full Time Driver In February '17.
Never thought I'd have a career with UPS, but here I am. Came in when opportunities were all over the place. A lot of people worked as a handler for years until they got their shot.
Get to know some senior drivers and just ask them questions. Sometimes you can get lucky and find someone in management that can actually be somewhat straight with you and they may be able to give you insight on possible upcoming full time opportunities.
If things seem pretty stale around there, then that will be a decision you will have to make whether to stick it out or find something else.

Mst3k

Hi all,

I just interviewed for a driver position at UPS and it was not what I thought. It was a Temporary cover driver position. They say I will work the preload shift for $11 an hour and only Drive when covering vacations and sick drivers. My question is: is it worth to get my foot in the door to do this? I have a family and a mortgage. $11 an hour will not be enough to support us. If I drive I will get paid $29 an hour. Will I be on a route enough? Any advice will help.
New drivers do not make 29 an hour.

I'm also in north Texas. Go for it. Qualify as a TCD, then sign the bid list for full time driver. You'll keep that $29 an hour which is huge during progression.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2017-7-18_14-4-58.png

We got a guy in preload that is a TCD. Some weeks he's with us 4 days sometimes I don't see him for weeks. Same thing with the air cover guy, but I see him maybe once a month. 85% top driver pay is a lot. You're already steps ahead of straight preload or skilled preload.

Over 70

It's great that you southern guys get the 85%. My supplement reg temp drivers start at 18.75 4 year progression like everyone else.

firedude14

Hi all,

Same as Nick and in the same area Northern Texas. In the process of being hired for PT preload/ TCD
Recited my 10's and 5's, did my road test today, and am now scheduled for my DOT physical> then interview Monday.

Like Nick, I'm a bit confused or unsure about? As long as my s%it is wired tight on everything and I'm working hard, how long do I have tip be there to sign bids? Or will I be required to successfully fill in as a Cover a certain amount of times to be deemed worthy?
The $11ish/ hr for preload is well worth it, as long as I can have the oppurtunity to cover occasionally for the $29.

Thanks for any advice