Termination for 5 minutes unpaid time

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Last time I caught myself buying something off the clock I coded in a single 2-minute lunch to cover the heretic act :cheezy: Truth is there is quite a blurry line, A supervisor could go out to several routes and observe me walking out of an apartment or business with a cup of coffee and free food, sometimes multiple times a day. And of course the extra coffee-fueled restroom breaks.

be careful about what some of your resident drivers do. They all have their less-than-perfect routines. Some will record their total break time arbitrarily and then dick around all day long, buying whatever they want under the premise that they spent some quantity less than 25 minutes in the process. and so on.

Last edited:

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Also funny how different it is in your part of the country. I would never take a piss at a store except in the employee area/dock because a homeless guy will walk up behind you and touch your hair while you wait for the security guard to give you the code only for the restroom to already have human feces in it.

It's very codified around here: car roadways, fast food and grocery = crazies. bikeways, bars, restaraunts businesses = normal people.

Tortuga

I AM THE MiLKMAN
Always code yourself out when buying something at the store. No matter if it’s a minute or 15. You’ll definitely keep your job though man. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Staydryitsraining

Everyone will get their job back. Might be a couple weeks if you don't get it back at the local hearing. Word of advice, take as long as you want in the bathroom, if you buy something clock out for the minute or two that takes. You never have to clock out for the bathroom, but your not paid to buy snacks. You might have an argument in the summer time and your "hydrating".

over9five

Staff member
I stop at Dunkies, and grab a coffee now and then.
I put in for "Break", and can be back at my truck SERIOUSLY in 2 minutes. Take the rest of Break later.
Two minutes, who cares, do the job right.
Better safe than sorry...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I always put in a break if someone kept me talking too long, getting a drink, someone asking for directions, then I got told too many breaks. If it added up to the time I was allowed, I didnt see the big deal. I still did it.-

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There's a lot of people working for UPS who don't know what dignity means. They are programmed to accept any level of mistreatment from the company, and then turn around and enforce that mistreatment on others who still have a shred of self-respect left.

Commercial Inside Release

There's a lot of people working for UPS who don't know what dignity means.
You are correct, sir. Most of them start out as normal, with a healthy male mentality... The constant nagging from on car supervisors, safety people, the mind numbing training, the daily PCMs, an of course the sociopathic harassment from management and snitches, too... All this eventually warps their minds into some henpecked, hassle avoidant shadow of their former self.

It's an abusive environment. Some end up that way by exhaustion alone. Management has all day to mess with you from a comfy office.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Hey guys, been driving for the company for about 2 years now. Am right around the corner from going full time 22.4. Had an incident yesterday that I heard about this morning heading into work and was just terminated by my manager.

On the way to the route, I stopped at Sheetz to go to the bathroom before my route (I was going up in the sticks where im not aware of the route and don't know whats up there). On my way out from the bathroom, I grab a drink and hit the road. With the new DIAD6, I was unaware that I needed to mark the break times under "Other Work" and mark as "Paid Break". Supervisors didn't mention this to me nor taught me how to do it. Also, the DIAD6 training also doesn't go over how to put in a paid break either. Apparently the regular "break" next to the meal doesn't show up for them, and so you have to put in as paid break. Anyways, a sup was parked at the gas station and wrote like 10 drivers up for time theft, and the next morning the manager terminated all of us. Some are full timers, some are 22.4s, some are covers like me. Me personally, I stole 5 WHOLE MINUTES of time when I went to the bathroom and grabbed a drink on my way out. My manager declared it as "shopping" and that it was time theft which goes under dishonesty. Talked to my steward we filed a grievance for it. He told me to file for unemployment and my hearing is next week. He also said that people in the past who this has happened to in the past ended up getting their jobs back. Additionally, I did the same exact thing at the same exact gas station when a sup was with me for an observation ride for a day and nothing was said to me.

I guess my question to some of the more veteran guys is what does this mean? Obviously the 5 minutes of time isn't worth termination, especially if I wasnt aware of the rule and wasn't told how to do it to begin with. Is this just lightening the workers they have to pay during peak since its slow? I keep hearing that i'll get my job back but I can't help but feel nervous and shaky about it. If anybody could give me their opinions on this and what it all means, as well as what you think may happen, I would appreciate it. Seems like a bunch of you guys have seen it all

So you never thought to ask anyone, management included, on how to put in a break in DIAD 6? So you have been getting paid for all the breaks you have taken and didn't record?

What'dyabringmetoday???

You are correct, sir. Most of them start out as normal, with a healthy male mentality... The constant nagging from on car supervisors, safety people, the mind numbing training, the daily PCMs, an of course the sociopathic harassment from management and snitches, too... All this eventually warps their minds into some henpecked, hassle avoidant shadow of their former self.

It's an abusive environment. Some end up that way by exhaustion alone. Management has all day to mess with you from a comfy office.
Pay no attention to management. They really have little control over hourlies.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
So you never thought to ask anyone, management included, on how to put in a break in DIAD 6? So you have been getting paid for all the breaks you have taken and didn't record?
The only thing is how the op is made to input their break into the board. I do not use “other work” when coding in breaks. It has a section specifically for it outside other work.
Bit confusing .

HavenoEDD

Learn from this. You’ll be back but this starts a trend and you need to cover your ass. Write things down, don’t eff around and don’t make things easy for management to get you.

This reminds me of when an old timer got the better of things when supervisors started following. The word got round stealing time was the flavor of the month in pcms and sups didn’t have anything better to do but hang out at gas stations.

Driver pulled up to gas station. Starts to fuel up the pump and immediately drops the handle to stop the flow. Go pees and buy smokes, snacks and drinks in the store. Comes back and “realizes” the fuel stopped flowing. Resumed fueling.

Supervisors videoed it. Terminated him.

He was back in a couple of weeks with full back pay. It couldn’t be proved that driver dropped the handle on purpose. Company got the gas station video footage too but at hearing it was deemed he wasn’t stealing time because fueling wasn’t completed.

Safe to say that trick wasn’t done again in our center.

Brownwind

Learn from this. You’ll be back but this starts a trend and you need to cover your ass. Write things down, don’t eff around and don’t make things easy for management to get you.

This reminds me of when an old timer got the better of things when supervisors started following. The word got round stealing time was the flavor of the month in pcms and sups didn’t have anything better to do but hang out at gas stations.

Driver pulled up to gas station. Starts to fuel up the pump and immediately drops the handle to stop the flow. Go pees and buy smokes, snacks and drinks in the store. Comes back and “realizes” the fuel stopped flowing. Resumed fueling.

Supervisors videoed it. Terminated him.

He was back in a couple of weeks with full back pay. It couldn’t be proved that driver dropped the handle on purpose. Company got the gas station video footage too but at hearing it was deemed he wasn’t stealing time because fueling wasn’t completed.

Safe to say that trick wasn’t done again in our center.
Same here. It’s so much easier just playing the game with the break button than fighting the panel over a few minutes.
Been there done that. Play the cards they dealt you. Playing by their rules you always win. Work as directed and cash in….

JL 0513

Funny this happened the same week corporate sent down the directive to lean out operations by getting rid of a ton of PVDs and such.

As others mentioned, watch your back come January.

HyperBrn

The only thing is how the op is made to input their break into the board. I do not use “other work” when coding in breaks. It has a section specifically for it outside other work.
Bit confusing .
For PAID breaks you code O87 PaidBrk in Other work. I don't know what "Break" in "Timeouts" is used for. I once accidentally tried coding my break using that method and the DIAD6 gave me an error saying I was out of breaks for the day. Maybe certain supplements use that Timeout version.