Terrible News, Bicyclist and Feeder Accident in NH

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Very sad for all involved.
​That area is not someplace you would expect anyone on a bicycle. I don't think either had a chance of avoiding it.

gingerkat

What a tragedy. Terrible for the woman that lost her life, but also terrible for the man that took the life. No matter who was at fault, he has to live with that forever.

​As someone that gets on her bike almost every single day, I try to stay on the designated bike paths, and I don't take the liberties that many cyclists do. I know that in a battle of auto vs. bike, I'm going to lose every single time.

browniehound

What a tragedy. Terrible for the woman that lost her life, but also terrible for the man that took the life. No matter who was at fault, he has to live with that forever.

​As someone that gets on her bike almost every single day, I try to stay on the designated bike paths, and I don't take the liberties that many cyclists do. I know that in a battle of auto vs. bike, I'm going to lose every single time.
This is horrible news. Its accidents like these that make me think that people who ride bikes on roads with motor vehicles are nuts. Its just too dangerous and its not even that fun to ride a bike.
Ginger, I think your very smart to stay on bike paths.

WorknLateHuh

RIP
It's scary to know that in an instant your life can change or end. You just never know(as the cliche goes)

Reminds me of the sunscreen song by Baz Luhrmann, "Don't worry about the future because the real troubles in your life are the kind that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you on some idle Tuesday."

[video=youtube;JhCFR03kx98]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhCFR03kx98[/video]

trickpony1

ginger-
do you ride with the traffic flow or against it?
do you wear reflective or bright colored clothing?
do you have lights/reflectors on your bike for night time riding?

The hub I work at is not in the best part of town. I frequently see kids riding into the flow of traffic, no reflectors on them or the bike and no lights at all on the bike........at night.

gingerkat

ginger-
do you ride with the traffic flow or against it?
do you wear reflective or bright colored clothing?
do you have lights/reflectors on your bike for night time riding?

The hub I work at is not in the best part of town. I frequently see kids riding into the flow of traffic, no reflectors on them or the bike and no lights at all on the bike........at night.
When I do ride with autos, I do ride with the flow, but I have to follow the law. I wear bright colored cycling gear, with a brightly colored helmet and proper padding/gear. I do have all reflective gear on my bike, but I never ride on the road when it's dark. I'm just not comfortable with that. My neighbor is a big time stoner and I'm always trying to convince her to wear a helmet. I even bought her one, but she won't wear it and she rides on the street almost every single day, stoned most of the time.

My favorite place to go is approximately 20-25 miles round trip, so I have to start early enough or it's hotter than hell. I always wait until it's light out and conditions are okay for riding. Unfortunately it's about 5 miles of street traffic, until the bike path picks up. The streets around here all have specified bike lanes sectioned off, so cyclists can ride with traffic. Even with that lane, I still hate riding in it and hug the curb as much as possible. There has been a huge push with radio commercials and advertising telling motorist to share the road with cyclists.

The problem I see as someone that does both is that cyclists around here feel they don't have to obey road laws and often do as they please. Then, there are the cars that hate cyclists and will honk, yell and get as close to them as possible. In cities that are congested and clearly it's getting worse, cycling is only going to increase and something has to be done.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The problem I see as someone that does both is that cyclists around here feel they don't have to obey road laws and often do as they please. Then, there are the cars that hate cyclists and will honk, yell and get as close to them as possible. In cities that are congested and clearly it's getting worse, cycling is only going to increase and something has to be done.

A few weeks back, my wife and I were on our way to the local mall driving down a main road with a speed limit of 45 MPH and some cycling maroon came from a road on the right that intersects at a 90 degree angle where he had a stop sign. This jackass ran the stop sign while still riding rather fast, and he "cut off" my wife and she swerved a bit into the other lane to avoid hitting this guy. He's lucky I wasn't behind the wheel, because I don't swerve for people who don't follow the laws. He would have ended up under my car.

UPSGUY72

That part of 101A doesn't look like a very good place to be wanting to riding a bike be it recreational or to and from work with 3 lanes of traffic going each way. That area appears to be a heavy industrial/ business and shopping area. With the UPS building being somewhere around 1 miles from the accident.

I hope the driver will be able to deal with having to live with what happen and continue to be able to do there job and may the bicyclist RIP...

oldngray

nowhere special
There are a lot of country roads near me that used to be mostly empty of traffic and good for riding but in the past few years many warehouses have been built causing a lot of heavy truck traffic. I am afraid to ride in those areas now.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A few weeks back, my wife and I were on our way to the local mall driving down a main road with a speed limit of 45 MPH and some cycling maroon came from a road on the right that intersects at a 90 degree angle where he had a stop sign. This jackass ran the stop sign while still riding rather fast, and he "cut off" my wife and she swerved a bit into the other lane to avoid hitting this guy. He's lucky I wasn't behind the wheel, because I don't swerve for people who don't follow the laws. He would have ended up under my car.

Lucky for you too because you could wind up in jail.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
In our division, this feeder driver would have been off work for quite a while, regardless of who's fault it was. If he or she was lucky, he would be assigned to work two shifts in the hub to get their 8 hours while the "investigation" took place. It's been a couple of years, but one of our guys was coming back from the rail yard, on a city interstate. A young guy on a crotch rocket came flying up an on ramp and lost control of his bike and laid it down. A bread truck ran over and killed the guy--through no fault of his own--and our feeder driver ran over the motorcycle when it shot out in front of him.

If I remember right, our guy was assigned to the hub to get his 8 hours everyday for over a month while the investigation took place. Any sane person could have taken 15 minutes to figure out our guy had nothing to do with the accident, but then, sanity isn't something our management is known for, is it? Our guy lost a bunch of money because UPS has to make their moral stand.

That is not to lessen the people who lost their lives in these accidents, but I bet this feeder driver who was involved in this accident will miss some significant time. One is one, the other is something entirely else, but UPS will weld them together, regardless of how this guy feels. Blame or no blame, this driver will be haunted, but management will make it much worse by trying to pin some blame on him.

In our local there would be no luck needed as the driver would be garaunteed his 8 hours inside at feeder pay till the matter was resolved.

We had a fatality some years back when one of our guys stopped at a sign after making a pickup. Some kids were doing dumb kid stuff and decided to creep under the trailer to get across the street. The driver saw them on one side doing a mirror check and then on the other side checking the other mirror. What he didn't know was that the kids had gone under the trailer and not around. One of the kids got hung up in the airline hangers and was run over when the driver pulled away.he ended up taking time off understandably but was never charged with an accident. It's felt that was done to avoid any litigation from saying our driver may have been at fault.

​If your wife could swerve and miss him, a great big ole professional UPS driver certainly could.

Sorry officer. I was doing 5-8 second mirror sweep on the oposite side of the vehicle that the biker popped out from when the witness said he ran the sign directly in my path.