The 25 Worst 401(k) Plans

oldngray

nowhere special
I only made 28% but that was because I had diversified and a couple of investments tanked. I did make a lot in dividends though.

beentheredonethat

I only made 28% but that was because I had diversified and a couple of investments tanked. I did make a lot in dividends though.

I'm in the same boat, I made overall 28.8% My SMA was at 27.8%. In this fund, I made some mistakes that cost me money. Mostly due to not doing the proper research on a few turkeys. That will teach me. In any event it was kind of fun. Would love to make that again this year, but I doubt the market will behave the same.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm in the same boat, I made overall 28.8% My SMA was at 27.8%. In this fund, I made some mistakes that cost me money. Mostly due to not doing the proper research on a few turkeys. That will teach me. In any event it was kind of fun. Would love to make that again this year, but I doubt the market will behave the same.
32%. No thinking involved. Just sayin.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
2013 reminded me of the late 90's ... just throw a dart and you made money.
I don't expect 2014 to be as good ... hope I'm wrong.
As I recall you didn't have much faith going into 2013. I've been buying and holding thru thick and thin since the 80's. takes a strong stomach losing half your money but years like this make up for it. I see the next 3 to 5 years averaging about a 5% yield. Source: pulled it out of my butt.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As I recall you didn't have much faith going into 2013.
Hmmm ... maybe.
I was more bearish back in the summer of 2012 and removed about 50% from the stock market and put it in money market.
By the end of 2012, I was almost 100% back in the stock market and some bonds.
I sold all my leftover UPS stock and reinvested and made only 2% less than UPS did in 2013.
My total ROI including dividends was 39% this year in my outside investments and 29% in my 401k.
My UPS pension was flat this year with 0% growth.
My wife's IRA investments returned over 20% as well.
My real estate investments were up about 10% for 2013 - hard to tell until you sell.
Private equity investments were about 10% as well.
By years end 2013, I have readjusted my investments again keeping almost 90% in the stock market and moving another 5% from bonds into hedge funds and reallocating the type of bonds I have.

Even though I am retired, I don't plan on touching my outside investments or my 401k for another 10 years.
That's why I feel fairly comfortable being almost totally in Stocks but they are lower risk and high dividend stocks.
Bonds look poor for the next couple of years at least.

Yankfan

Could this be because UPS offers a pension and UPS employees believe (incorrectly), that this all they will need in retirement? It seems that a smaller percentage of hourly employees participate in the plan compared to management participation - that is just my observation, not based on anything concrete.

Yankfan

FDX has more in assets than UPS in their 401 plan?
Sorry, quoted the wrong post....

Could this be because UPS offers a pension and UPS employees believe (incorrectly), that this all they will need in retirement? It seems that a smaller percentage of hourly employees participate in the plan compared to management participation - that is just my observation, not based on anything concrete.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/the-25-worst-401-k-plans.300204/#ixzz2rPh6dgoG

Your 401K didn't do good. The markets did. Your 401K is just a tax favored account. The same as an IRA or SEP account.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Your 401K didn't do good. The markets did. Your 401K is just a tax favored account. The same as an IRA or SEP account.
Reminds me of the restaurant scene from one of my fav movies - Twin Peaks:

Irene at Hap's: [a waitress is being interviewed while drinking coffee and smoking] I don't do drugs.
Stanley: Caffeine's a drug. Nicotine's a drug.
Irene at Hap's: [annoyed] Who's the towhead?

Start at 1:30:

Last edited:

Serf

Saving for investment has nothing to do with the wage one makes.
It is about discipline, with a long term goal.
Amen. Another common mishap from the baby boomer generation I see is; relying on the 401k as the sole source of retirement income. One must have discipline and diversity. Move money around and have several options. (IRA, Roth, Bonds, CD's etc.) Even if you make peanuts. Research shows over the last 20 years 401k's have averaged out at about a 4% yield. :bored2: