The 97 strike....

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I hope we do strike the next time. Thing is a lot of us could just be like whatever were that much closer to retirement, but these young guys and gals who have just been hired or have a long long way to go to finish the race have got to start paying attention cause this jobs completely out of hand now and only going to get worse. Eventually somethings gotta give and the younger generation of drivers need to stand up.

Hopefully Louisville votes out Hoffa and Hall. They got the power of numbers to get them crookedazz idiots out the door lol.
Its gonna take more than us,to vote his sell out :censored2: out! We need all of the Membership...to throw that bum out...and his cronies too! Hopefully the pissed off workers at ABF AND YELLOW. do the same!

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Two scabs started a fight at the picket line during this strike and I got involved and got fired when we came back to work after 2 1/2 weeks of striking. I eventually got my job back after 2 1/2 months. Kind of funny really, the scabs got their :censored2: handed to them. I never threw a punch, but I pushed one of them really hard into the steel post of the gate and screwed up the guy's shoulder big time. I heard he was out of work for over a week because he hurt so bad.:)

Two scabs started a fight at the picket line duiring this strike and I got involved and got fired when we came back to work after 2 1/2 weeks of striking. I eventually got my job back after 2 1/2 months. Kind of funny really, the scabs got their :censored2: handed to them. I never threw a punch, but I pushed one of them really hard into the steel post of the gate and screwed up the guy's shoulder big time. I heard he was out of work for over a week because he hurt so bad.:)
That one was mistake that Carey did make! When he agrred to end the strike,he forgot to put In a no B.s. harassment and firing clause. When we came back to work!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Hopefully Louisville votes out Hoffa and Hall. They got the power of numbers to get them crookedazz idiots out the door lol.
We have made great strides as a union and a workforce with the Hoffa Hall Leadership(lets not forget the Maspetch fiasco in which these drivers were saved because of Kenn Hall!)

I cant see "leaders" such as Sandy Pope,Fred Z or Tim S doing anything but ruining our union.

I'm really hoping for a Hall/Obrien choice

We have made great strides as a union and a workforce with the Hoffa Hall Leadership(lets not forget the Maspetch fiasco in which these drivers were saved because of Kenn Hall!)

I cant see "leaders" such as Sandy Pope,Fred Z or Tim S doing anything but ruining our union.

I know this sounds crazy but, I think It was planned!...so they could ride in,like a White Knight! Save the jobs and declare and impasse!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I didn't know much about it since I started with the company in '05 so I googled and found this from '07. Interesting for those who don't know what led to it and the players involved.

http://workerscompass.org/lessons-of-the-1997-teamster-strike-at-ups-part-1/
Keep in mind that this is a one-sided presentation of what the strike was about.
Most people at that time knew the strike was about UPS offering to take over the pensions of all UPS Teamsters which Carey was determined to prevent. UPS was pressing for putting the "pension takeover" to a vote by the members and Carey got his revenge.
All the rest of it was dressing for the media.

Johney

I hope we do strike the next time. Thing is a lot of us could just be like whatever were that much closer to retirement, but these young guys and gals who have just been hired or have a long long way to go to finish the race have got to start paying attention cause this jobs completely out of hand now and only going to get worse. Eventually somethings gotta give and the younger generation of drivers need to stand up.
Be careful what you wish for. With such a low turn out on people voting how many do you think would really strike? My guess is not many.

Johney

Keep in mind that this is a one-sided presentation of what the strike was about.
Most people at that time knew the strike was about UPS offering to take over the pensions of all UPS Teamsters which Carey was determined to prevent. UPS was pressing for putting the "pension takeover" to a vote by the members and Carey got his revenge.
Exactly.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
I liked the part in the article were it likened a strike with going to war with a well armed enemy. Its not as bad as the early 90s when the company owned the union but we workers are making a lot of big concessions that could lead to a UPS power play wed have to answer with our greatest weapon, the strike. As teamsters we need to hold our leadership to the task of preparing for that reality. UPS teamsters are one of the few successful working forces left. An injury to one is an injury to all.

Sent using BrownCafe App

be careful what you wish for. With such a low turn out on people voting how many do you think would really strike? My guess is not many.
We dont need to strike,just have a threat of It!.....nobody will take you seriously,if their is no threat of negative actions!...It would be like your Sup,giving you a warning letter.....but not have the power to suspend or fire you!...How seriously would you take him, then??.....Exactly!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I remember me and two other rather large guys followed a scab with our on strike signs for about an hour one day. Even all sqeezed into an elevator with him up to 4 th floor and back down. He sweated a lot in that elevator. Lol

Brown Spider

And this too is a one-sided presentation of what the strike was about.

Brown Spider

Perhaps I dozed off during those "great strides" with the Hoffa Hall Leadership. I'll certainly be more vigilant if Hall and Sean "Knuckles" O'Brien are elected!