The Basic Premise

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx management is basing the current restructuring on a very basic premise: That anyone with a pulse can be a courier. It's that simple, and what they're offering these days in terms of wages and benefits "confirms" my hypothesis. They don't care if there is a talent/brain drain at Express, because DRA will take care of the gaps. Long-term, this is the direction the company is headed, which is basically Ground in a different-colored wrapper. The employees will be dumber, less capable, and generally inferior, which is what upper management is expecting to walk through the door and replace you.

Never mind that DRA has been a disaster, or that it hasn't even been introduced at many stations. DRA will solve all problems, couriers will be efficient (enough), and Express will have wads of money to add to the profit coffers.

If you're leaving, that's exactly what they want to happen, because your tatted-down, pierced, and GED-educated replacement will be "hand-held" by DRA into being a lean, efficient courier who will last about 6 months to a year before their GED kicks-in and tells them that they can get FT somewhere else for about the same money doing a job that is far less of a hassle.

It will be fun to watch.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I don't see Express even being in existance 20 years from now with this concept. Even 10 years down the road looks shakey. They only way around this would be to get Smith and Thornton out of the picture completely.

Guapo

They can't keep people here. In my neck of the woods every time they hire 5 new employees 3 quit b4 school commences and usually only 1 of them hangs on after that. Even had a swing driver hired ft off the street quit after 2 weeks of walking around chewing gum for 53 hours a pay period.

CJinx

Correction: Anyone with a pulse and a driver's license can be a courier.
They did the same thing with package handlers and vision. Once upon a time, they were expected to read a load chart and learn a truck; now Vision tells them where to load everything. Their job no longer requires thinking, just doing.

Granted; I think it will be a while before a computer is capable of planning routes more efficiently than a savvy, thinking human; or be able to adjust on the fly to changing conditions, but we'll all be victim to automation eventually. Remember the Fedex robots from the movie I, Robot? lol

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Vision is not all that great either and still requires multiple competent handlers to clean up after it, station dependent of course.

LOL, I do remember that from I, Robot.

[video=youtube;1H3Cy09LwQM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H3Cy09LwQM[/video]

bbsam

Staff member
Exactly. I have always wondered what opco you worked for. Your post reflects that you have vast Ground experience.

Hate 150lb Packages

One ground guy here just got canned because he kept switching vision stickers. We have many similar street names on different work areas, so he'd put a different WA vision sticker on the box so he didn't have to deliver it. Of course the other drivers would end up with it as a DNA or 02. The contractors all got together and ganged up on the one who operates that guy. So he fired him. Ground at its finest!

CJinx

Vision is not all that great either and still requires multiple competent handlers to clean up after it, station dependent of course.
Vision is only as good as the operations coordinator responsible for maintaining it, and the ISP/IC/drivers stopping in to help them carve up the routes properly. It doesn't hurt to have some old school package handlers who know their stuff, though.

your tatted-down, pierced, and GED-educated replacement will be "hand-held" by DRA

Is there something about having tattoos and piercings that indicates that someone cannot be a successful FedEx employee? Of course visible tattoos must be covered and piercings removed when working with the public but there's absolutely nothing wrong with someone having tattoos and piercings.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Is there something about having tattoos and piercings that indicates that someone cannot be a successful FedEx employee? Of course visible tattoos must be covered and piercings removed when working with the public but there's absolutely nothing wrong with someone having tattoos and piercings.

They are usually mentally unstable.

DontThrowPackages

Said Aaron Hernandez. LOL

bbsam

Staff member
My ears have been pierced since I was 5, and I have a single tattoo(which you can't see, lol), if I were to quit my job in operations and go to work for an ISP, I would be mentally unstable?

could you describe the tattoo?