The consignee's lawn is...

The consignee's lawn is...

• Total voters

Indecisi0n

After i walk across a nice lawn, drop package, scan, knock then turn around to walk back to my truck i can see my footprints in the grass.

UPSGUY72

I'll stick with working safe as instructed during orientation. I'm not running my own business or have a quota to satisfy. Bending rules on safety or ticking off consignees doesn't benefit me one bit. UPS doesn't use helper if it isn't needed.

Even if I'm not fast, I don't think UPS would consider having helpers if numbers don't show their usefulness in aggregate average. While I'm aware helpers don't necessarily add productivity, that isn't always helpers' fault. From business perspectives, I think the ability to place helpers on route throughout the year as needed make sense.

Helper's proficiency with DIAD steadily increases during the first month or so and they've only got maybe a month before they're terminated. Now you could only imagine the efficacy gain that can be realized if they can stay longer :happy2:

If your helper isn't helping your productivity then your the problem not the helper.

Being proficient using the DIAD is going to make my helper be more productive. He or / she doesn't need to know how to use it. All they need to know is how to get from point A to B and back to A as quick as possible without running and getting hurt. I'll do the rest. I'll tell them were to deliver it and any other this they need to know about each delivery. I can 30 plus stops an hour all day with a helper that is just running off packages.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

After i walk across a nice lawn, drop package, scan, knock then turn around to walk back to my truck i can see my footprints in the grass.

With time you will have the package scanned and stop completed before you knock on the door.:wink2: The walk back to the PC is used to determine your next five stops.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Use the path of least resistance, be it the walkway or the lawn.

FYI, try this little experiment. I noticed once how tired I was day after day of cutting thru lawns and such while making deliveries. Then one day I committed to myself that I WOULD NOT walk through any lawns and only on paved surfaces. I was not nearly as tired by the end of the day due to the lack of resistance. When walking through the grass and such it actually causes a slight resistance for you to have to push through whereas if you stay on the paved surfaces then only resistance is that between the soles of your shoes and the paved surface. Much less energy to walk on a surface rather than thru a surface.

UPSGUY72

FYI, try this little experiment. I noticed once how tired I was day after day of cutting thru lawns and such while making deliveries. Then one day I committed to myself that I WOULD NOT walk through any lawns and only on paved surfaces. I was not nearly as tired by the end of the day due to the lack of resistance. When walking through the grass and such it actually causes a slight resistance for you to have to push through whereas if you stay on the paved surfaces then only resistance is that between the soles of your shoes and the paved surface. Much less energy to walk on a surface rather than thru a surface.

I guess if your dragging your feet that would be a problem.

satellitedriver

I guess I should feel jealous.
Most of my rural deliveries do not even have a paved driveway,much less a paved walkway.
Those that do normally are filled with kids bikes/toys making for an unsafe pathway.

AssistantSanta

If your helper isn't helping your productivity then your the problem not the helper.
I am the helper...

Being proficient using the DIAD is going to make my helper be more productive. He or / she doesn't need to know how to use it.
I work with a few drivers. One of the drivers and I work like a tag team. He'll drop me off with pkgs and if needed, the DIAD (signature required), he'll drive off and make another. I'll walk up a long drive way, greet & deliver or info notice them and he'd be done with one or two DRs by the time he meets me back up and at end of the day I feel like something was accomplished. We're delivering at the same time whenever possible.

With one of the other ones, he doesn't like to let me use the PDA, so he'll go do all the customer contact stuff while I sit around and I sit around some more while he sorts packages or sit around. I'm simply reducing his legwork but no increase in production. I feel like I haven't done anything but get this driver get paid the same walking less and producing same output.

UPSGUY72

I use the walk back to the PC to message the center that i need help.

Why?? They can figure it out. They already know how many stop you have done and got left at any giving time during the day. I don't send help messages or over 9.5, 10, etc. The only message I send is that I need someone to get my Air if I'm not going to make the Air trailer.

Indecisi0n

Why?? They can figure it out. They already know how many stop you have done and got left at any giving time during the day. I don't send help messages or over 9.5, 10, etc. The only message I send is that I need someone to get my Air if I'm not going to make the Air trailer.

I don't say "give me help." I send in my ETA9:30PM and all hell breaks out in the office. I always get a message "call office." LOL.

UPSGUY72

I don't say "give me help." I send in my ETA9:30PM and all hell breaks out in the office. I always get a message "call office." LOL.

Sending a eta of 9:30 is the same as saying I need help. I don't ask for help if I'm out to late to there liken than maybe tomorrow they will fix the dispatch.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
We are required to send in an ETA by 3:00PM.

In our center, they always ask us for an ETA around 2pm. There was no way I had any idea of what my ETA would be that early as they expected us to be within 15 min of actual punch time. For the past couple of years I have replied 1900 everyday. Anything less and I would be expected to go help another driver. Anything more and I get a response "What's the problem out there"?
Just want to be left alone and deal with the dispatch I was given in the morning!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
With time you will have the package scanned and stop completed before you knock on the door.:wink2: The walk back to the PC is used to determine your next five stops.

Under ideal conditions (clear and unobstructed walk path, broad daylight, good weather etc.) this is sometimes true.

More often than not, however, I spend my walk time back to the PC dodging wet leaves, mossy steps, dog poop, or kids toys that are scattered about the driveway or yard. Or its dark and I'm using a flashlight. Or I'm feeding biscuits to the pack of loose dogs that are running circles around me, jumping up on me and trying to sniff my butt. Or I dont even have the DIAD with me because the package was an irreg and I needed both hands free to handle a flashlight and a handcart.

Planning your next five stops while walking back to the car is a great theory from within the safe, well-lit confines of a cubicle. Like many such UPS theories, it does not always carry forward very well into the real world where the work is actually taking place.

UPSGUY72

Under ideal conditions (clear and unobstructed walk path, broad daylight, good weather etc.) this is sometimes true.

More often than not, however, I spend my walk time back to the PC dodging wet leaves, mossy steps, dog poop, or kids toys that are scattered about the driveway or yard. Or its dark and I'm using a flashlight. Or I'm feeding biscuits to the pack of loose dogs that are running circles around me, jumping up on me and trying to sniff my butt. Or I dont even have the DIAD with me because the package was an irreg and I needed both hands free to handle a flashlight and a handcart.

Planning your next five stops while walking back to the car is a great theory from within the safe, well-lit confines of a cubicle. Like many such UPS theories, it does not always carry forward very well into the real world where the work is actually taking place.

What I think up state was trying to say is that he glance at the Diad on the way back to the car he's doesn't stare at it. After he glances at the next five stop he mentally comes up with delivery plan at the same time walking back to the car scanning his walk path so he can make adjustment if the condition changed.