The Holiday Fail

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Please note that UPS did not fail this year, even though they had the exact same weather conditions etc. to contend with. I'm quite surprised that FedEx even acknowledged the fact that they couldn't handle it, but they also blamed weather and unexpected shipper volume. The latter is BS because they claimed shippers had volume restrictions.

Anyway, back to a fine Asahi Extra Dry and the family. Best to all of you.

SmithBarney

Weather.... it was too warm, our drivers are used to cold icy roads, and were confused, a bit like a groundhog on groundhog day, most just got scared and couldn't work fast enough...

Seriously we heard nothing of problems(other than Ground) in fact our planes were all on time, and we killed it Christmas week! some going out with triple volume on their routes... Christmas Eve I finished up at 3:30 with 219 stops. Skipped my break go ahead write me up! SAT volume forecast is so low for our station that they gave those SAT drivers off. See ya Monday!

bacha29

There will be consequences no doubt if UPS did in fact outperform X. Ground contractors need to prepare for a company that has a ax to grind with the contractors who didn't bow to them this peak season.

Myort

I haven't really seen many details other than headline stories. Was this an issue with ground? Or did several flights on Wednesday night miss the IND/MEM sorts due to weather issues?

Meat

Please note that UPS did not fail this year, even though they had the exact same weather conditions etc. to contend with. I'm quite surprised that FedEx even acknowledged the fact that they couldn't handle it, but they also blamed weather and unexpected shipper volume. The latter is BS because they claimed shippers had volume restrictions.

My goodness. PLEASE be aware of false prophets.

First off, here is what a respected institution thinks of this guy's favorite libation: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/716/2779/

Ouch!

Second of all, read his prior posts; for some reason, he has this obsession about being relatively superior to others, but unfortunately--by his own depiction of his life--he personifies mediocrity. ABSURDITY PERSONIFIED!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

First off, here is what a respected institution thinks of this guy's favorite libation: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/716/2779/

Ouch!

Second of all, read his prior posts; for some reason, he has this obsession about being relatively superior to others, but unfortunately--by his own depiction of his life--he personifies mediocrity. ABSURDITY PERSONIFIED!

I prefer Asian beers...geez. Yes, it's absurd that I happen to be correct most of the time. Go beat your name.

!Retired!

Our station did OK. Not as good as last year. We did have a couple of hiccups.
1. Tuesday and Wednesday we didn't leave the building until 10:00-10:30 thanks to bad Memphis weather/late flights. Still better than having 2 sorts.
2. DRA crashed Thursday, making it harder for the people that didn't know the areas they were in, but not impossible due to less freight.
3. Memphis crammed freight down our throats, making Monday-Wednesday longer, but doable. On Thursday, our freight was about 30% lighter than Wednesday. Normal non-peak day for us is around 9000-10000. We were around the 16000 mark Mon-Wed and <12000 for Thursday.

Can't wait until next year. Christmas falls on Sunday :ohmy:

tourists24

Ouch!

Since its derailed now.... I decided to look up my favorite brewhttp://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10153/37951/.... yum

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our station did OK. Not as good as last year. We did have a couple of hiccups.
1. Tuesday and Wednesday we didn't leave the building until 10:00-10:30 thanks to bad Memphis weather/late flights. Still better than having 2 sorts.
2. DRA crashed Thursday, making it harder for the people that didn't know the areas they were in, but not impossible due to less freight.
3. Memphis crammed freight down our throats, making Monday-Wednesday longer, but doable. On Thursday, our freight was about 30% lighter than Wednesday. Normal non-peak day for us is around 9000-10000. We were around the 16000 mark Mon-Wed and <12000 for Thursday.

Can't wait until next year. Christmas falls on Sunday :ohmy:

My station also did relatively OK. We had a lot of new couriers who were lucky to be doing 5-6 SPH. I'm wondering if it was more of a Ground fail than an Express fail, but both had issues.

bacha29

I believe that the performance of a seperated X and G was as about as good as it's going to get as long as the disconnect remains but in coming years UPS will pull ahead of X and as a result there may be increased pressure both external and internal to end the madness and get the two to operate as one.

At our station we have some child labor, that can't work after it get's dark. Some extended routes were going out with 100+ stops while others were taking only 60 or so. For them (the 60 stops) it was just like a routine summer day. They'd get done right at dark and then come dragging in like it was really rough out there. The one's with 100+ would come in just before the 14 hour rule barley getting there brake. What a joke!!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I believe that the performance of a seperated X and G was as about as good as it's going to get as long as the disconnect remains but in coming years UPS will pull ahead of X and as a result there may be increased pressure both external and internal to end the madness and get the two to operate as one.

Smith will never give up the RLA or the Ground scam. Combining them would un-do both in terms of advantages for Fred.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Spoke to a ramp agent who said Amazon was supposedly 'restricted' to two bulk trailers a night, but would send six or seven instead. The unscheduled trailers were left sitting in the parking lot until they could work them in, days in some cases. So there is something to the claim of unexpected volume.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Spoke to a ramp agent who said Amazon was supposedly 'restricted' to two bulk trailers a night, but would send six or seven instead. The unscheduled trailers were left sitting in the parking lot until they could work them in, days in some cases. So there is something to the claim of unexpected volume.

That would be poor management, as in knowingly accepting freight that probably wouldn't move. I'm amazed that it wasn't a bigger fail given all of the turnover and bad decision-making.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"Pulling ahead" would infer that we are behind, which is clearly not the case.