The lesser of 2 (or 3) evils to avoid late air

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
honestly I have "fudged" more Sat airs than I can recall, very few customers have bothered to track their packages, most just accept the fact that I showed up when I did. And never has mgt done anything about it. Most knew I was "fudging " , sometimes we were so short handed that it was the only option.

It only takes once!!!

barnyard

KTM rider
You will get caught cheating a commit time. My wife works for a multi-million $$ account. She knows the cheats, I told them to her. She shipped some stuff NDA, tracked it and knew the driver was cheating to avoid the late air. This is an account that we could lose because a driver is cheating to avoid late air.

Our customer is the shipper, not the receiver. The shipper pays the bill and we need to do what the shipper is asking and paying for. If we cannot, we have to do it honestly so the shipper can receive the refund that they are owed.

To do it any other way is to commit fraud.

TB

barnyard

KTM rider
To add to the above.

Fed Ex pulls this stuff everyday, we get accounts because of the cheating. The only way we will maintain the business is to not cheat/lie

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Imagine that, one day, you started coughing up blood and you felt a painful lump in your lung.

Imagine that, after a week or so of this, you went to your doctor and he took a chest X-ray.

Imagine that the chest X-ray revealed a tumor.

In this situation, which choice would you want your doctor to make?

(A) To be brutally honest and tell you that you have a tumor and will need painful chemotherapy or surgery in order to survive? Or..

(B) To take a bottle of white-out, touch up the X-rays to hide the tumor, tell you everything will "be OK", and give you a bottle of pain pills to mask the pain and help you "feel" better?

Falsifying delivery records to hide service failures is no different from option B. It might be "easier" and it might make everybody "feel" better, but it will never allow the underlying problem to be solved.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Just do your best and don't falsify anything. If you have late air - you have late air. Don't worry about it. You made the phone call and you got no help. Are you part time? If this happens again and again and your supervisor gives you crap for it make it clear to your boss that Saturday work for you is an option and you don't have to be there unlike him.

UPSGUY72

You will get caught cheating a commit time. My wife works for a multi-million $$ account. She knows the cheats, I told them to her. She shipped some stuff NDA, tracked it and knew the driver was cheating to avoid the late air. This is an account that we could lose because a driver is cheating to avoid late air.

Our customer is the shipper, not the receiver. The shipper pays the bill and we need to do what the shipper is asking and paying for. If we cannot, we have to do it honestly so the shipper can receive the refund that they are owed.

To do it any other way is to commit fraud.

TB

Why would you tell a big account we have ways that drivers cheat a little to get NDA out without being late.

GO WORK FOR FEDEX you can help us out better over there

Last edited:

badpal

Imagine that, one day, you started coughing up blood and you felt a painful lump in your lung.

Imagine that, after a week or so of this, you went to your doctor and he took a chest X-ray.

Imagine that the chest X-ray revealed a tumor.

In this situation, which choice would you want your doctor to make?

(A) To be brutally honest and tell you that you have a tumor and will need painful chemotherapy or surgery in order to survive? Or..

(B) To take a bottle of white-out, touch up the X-rays to hide the tumor, tell you everything will "be OK", and give you a bottle of pain pills to mask the pain and help you "feel" better?

Falsifying delivery records to hide service failures is no different from option B. It might be "easier" and it might make everybody "feel" better, but it will never allow the underlying problem to be solved.
ok doc i rather go with plan B. but guess thats a whole new thread.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Why is it you know right from wrong, but yet ask what to do.

Any of the suggestions will get you fired on the spot, with no chance of ever continuing your employment.

As tie said, go to the tightest group you have, with the most packages (notice I did not say stops) and deliver the largest chunk of air you can on time.

Then deliver and record the rest properly.

anything else will put you on the cross by yourself.

d
Danny, maybe Bigmistake asked because he hasn't gotten any decent suggestions. Maybe Tie's response if the first 'right' answer he has gotten. Just a thought. There isn't any dumb question, right?:peaceful:

undercoversupe

Some experienced drivers have shared options with me in avoiding late air. I know all are wrong, or at least questionable.

I have been a Saturday Air driver for 1 year and 4 months since being DQ due to an accident. I deliver to a town which is actually not serviced by our center, only on Saturday. I left with way too much work this past Saturday, sent a message to the center asking for help with enough notice. I get a message to call center ASAP 20 minutes later. Was told no one is available and to deliver everything on time.

Some suggestions I have been given:

1. Deliver business/signature required stops first, then DR everything before the commit time.

2. Use a zip code for a town that has a relaxed commit time. An additional 90 minutes is allowed, commit time would be 1:30pm.

3. After the commit time, don't sheet the package, just deliver it without scanning.

I know all of these are wrong, or at least highly questionable. Whoever said there isn't pressure driving Saturday Air is misinformed. Anyways, I gave in to the pressure, DR everything by the commit time. Which is the lesser of those 3 evils?

Deliver them late and let the center deal with it. Send a message on the diad to cover yourself. Not only can you lose your job, but this is a good way to lose customers. Most customers know if it was late or not. Even the Resies.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Deliver them late and let the center deal with it. Send a message on the diad to cover yourself. Not only can you lose your job, but this is a good way to lose customers. Most customers know if it was late or not. Even the Resies.
But usually don't care, whereas if your MGMT team finds you being dishonest, they will always care.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
But usually don't care, whereas if your MGMT team finds you being dishonest, they will always care.

Your management team will always overlook your dishonesty as long as it makes them look good on paper.

As soon as Loss Prevention comes sniffing around, however, your management team will self-righteously throw you under the bus in order to save their own asses.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Your management team will always overlook your dishonesty as long as it makes them look good on paper.

As soon as Loss Prevention comes sniffing around, however, your management team will self-righteously throw you under the bus in order to save their own asses.
And the last thing you'll ever hear is THUMP, THUMP!

happybob

Feeders
Some experienced drivers have shared options with me in avoiding late air. I know all are wrong, or at least questionable.

I have been a Saturday Air driver for 1 year and 4 months since being DQ due to an accident. I deliver to a town which is actually not serviced by our center, only on Saturday. I left with way too much work this past Saturday, sent a message to the center asking for help with enough notice. I get a message to call center ASAP 20 minutes later. Was told no one is available and to deliver everything on time.

Some suggestions I have been given:

1. Deliver business/signature required stops first, then DR everything before the commit time.

2. Use a zip code for a town that has a relaxed commit time. An additional 90 minutes is allowed, commit time would be 1:30pm.

3. After the commit time, don't sheet the package, just deliver it without scanning.

I know all of these are wrong, or at least highly questionable. Whoever said there isn't pressure driving Saturday Air is misinformed. Anyways, I gave in to the pressure, DR everything by the commit time. Which is the lesser of those 3 evils?
Something is wrong here. You were DQ because of an accident but still get to drive?

? Went full time, had an accident, then got sent back to part time and you get to drive as a part timer? Makes a lot on sense now. You cant handle a package car full time because of an accident, but we will let you handle a package car part time. I know its a union rule.

Notify the sup before you leave the building, and say it clearly "I do not believe I will get all these deliveries delivered before the commit time" If he leaves them on you, leave the bldg, go directly to your first and nearest delivery. Upon completion of the delivery send a message "I do not believe I will get all these deliveries delivered before the commit time"

Do not call the center, the supervisor, the OMS personnel. If he sends a message asking you to call the center, send a message "My cell phone is not for company use and I dont have money for a payphone". Only communicate through the diad. You fudge time committs/delivery records you will be looking for a new job. Maybe not this time, or the next time, but, you will be looking for a new job. Find a shop steward and let him/her know what this supervisor told you to do. Try to remember word for word what he told you to do, then pick up a phone and call the company hotline. This supe is gonna lose his job, instead of you. He's gonna tell other drivers to do the same thing, and maybe cause other drivers to lose their jobs to. What a sorry excuse for a supervisor. Help me cheat to make my numbers look good, and when we get cought, I will deny telling you to do that, and you will get fired.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
To add to the above.

Fed Ex pulls this stuff everyday, we get accounts because of the cheating. The only way we will maintain the business is to not cheat/lie

This man speaketh the truth. Some of the ways a few of our less intelligent couriers do it are as follows:

--POD the pkg before you actually get to the stop. This isn't good when the person who "signed" for the pkg called-in sick that day.

--Use delay codes inappropriately to make it look like security or some other type of issue caused the late.

--Delivering pkgs during your "break', and then doing the POD later after you find the piece of paper you scrawled the name on. This only works until you screw-up and show a delivery and pickup 10 miles apart as being completed at the same time.

Any of these can get you instantly fired, but the reality is that most managers are fully aware that it goes on but say nothing because it helps them make their numbers. Barnyard is right on the money when he implies that falsification is rampant at FedEx. They want higher productivity in less time, but still insist on full "breaks" (on paper) and later sort start times. You can't have your cake and eat it too, but management thinks they can.

I never falsify anything, and if it's late it isn't because I wasn't trying hard enough or mis-routed myself. All I can do is my best, and if I go out overloaded I will notify management in person, via a Powerpad message, and in writing via email when I get back to the building. That way I'm covered and the onus goes back on them where it belongs.

Bottom line---if you falsify, you will lose your job, and not your manager, even if they implicitly endorse the activity.