The little things that make your day a little better.

bigbrownhen

It has been a rough week. The weather is hot and routes cut forcing alot of overtime. I had a neat little moment this week that just made my day.

I was unloading a bulk stop at a business. This lady came out with her two little kids, one boy about a 2 and a little girl about 3. I heard her say "No, honey she is busy". So here comes this little girl, she says " Huggy". She then proceeds to grab my leg and give me the tightest hug, says "bye, bye", and off she goes. The mom says "Sorry, she does that alot, she just loves everyone." It was the sweetest thing. Just what I needed. :happy-very:

Just wondering what other "pick-me up' moments others have had.

Brownsfan

My day always brightens when i run the route that allows me to go home for lunch. My little boy has the cutest smile.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
I've had a little girl do the same thing. A little awkward, but yeah, it does make your day.
So does the hottie that yells "one minute" when you knock on the door of her apartment then answers wearing nothing but a towel...a small towel.

TheDick

I love it when the OMS's dont send any txt's. We have another safety person that used to be our OMS and she sends safe working txt's. If she also wouoldnt send any txt's that would be great. I dont read them anyways, I'm too busy worrying aboot SPORH

DS

Fenderbender
Every now and then,a customer does something nice.
Like hand you a bottle or 2 of cold water,or come out and help
when you have multiple boxes at a house.

Last edited:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
A few years back as I was heading out of town towards the hiway, a man and his wheelchair bound daughter waved me down from the roadside in front of their home. The girl was about 15-16 and had what appeared to be very limited movement of her arms and legs. I asked them how I could help them and the dad said his daughter wanted to give away a box of tootsie roll pops and reached out a shaky hand to give me one. I reached out and took it and was just overcome totally with a sense of, well I guess love, that this girl in her wheelchair wanted to brighten someones day and I was one of those whom she chose to. As I drove away, it was like I had just this super calm feeling about life, the planet, my center manager, and DM and all the other M's. I finished my day rolling that over in my head again and again. I forgot whatever might've bothered me for several days, and still to this day even telling about it makes me reassess my perspective on the little stuff that might bug me.

And dogs, gawd I just love dogs! 99.99 percent of them are just awesome. The other .01 %are great too it's just that as fast as we have to move around them, they can't settle down to see how cool we are too. That's something I will refuse to do when I retire. I will never again hurry as a matter of my daily life.

menotyou

bella amicizia
One day, I came across a little boy crying on the side of the street. There was a dog playing about 25 ft away. I stopped and found out that the dog was his and he couldn't get the dog to listen. (I know we aren't Suppose to do this). I got the dog to go in the truck, asked the kid if his mom would be mad if I gave them a ride home(no) and buckled him into the jump seat and took everyone home. His brothers were watching when we pulled in. He jumped out of that jumpseat as proud as a peacock. 'I just rode in the up's truck!'. His parents were so grateful as they couldn't find him or the dog. And, yes. I told my center manager what I did.

Last edited:

QKRSTKR

This week was brutal with the heat. 102 on Thursday, heat index higher. So many of my customers gave me 2 bottles of water, plus what I packed, plus re-filling my 1.5 liter bottle @ water coolers I never went dry. Plus all the jackass 's telling me to try and stay cool. Just funny. And the one lady that says "wouldn't keeping your doors closed on your truck help?" I said, "what, help to kill me, there's no a/c in these lol" . But most people think we just drive around all day.

bigbrownhen

MC, I agree about the dogs. There are several on route that know they will get a good scratch from the UPS lady, a few know to bring thier ball over and I'll toss it a couple of times too. There is one house that there is a routine with their mastif. He is kind enough to rinse off a couple of my tires, then he comes over to get his scratches. He basicly demands it, he is huge! Yesterday, I was delivering meds to an older gentleman with a border collie. He asked me to give pkg to the dog. He tells the dog to take it to the house and sure enough he did like it was a newspaper. Wonder if UPS would let me get a dog like that? Think of the time I would save!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yesterday, I was delivering meds to an older gentleman with a border collie. He asked me to give pkg to the dog. He tells the dog to take it to the house and sure enough he did like it was a newspaper. Wonder if UPS would let me get a dog like that? Think of the time I would save!!

They do--they call them Peak helpers.

For me, the customers are always great, but what really makes me smile are the dogs. When they hear the truck coming, they begin to bark and their ears perk up. When I get closer, the dogs tails start wagging a mile a minute and they do their happy dance. That just makes my day!

rod

Retired 22 years
I always loved it when on the 3rd attempted of a COD package nobody was home and you got to RTS it. It especially made my day when the customer came crying the next day saying how much he needed it. I also loved it when my boot or DIAD actually connected with little Fluffy who the owner thought was so cute nipping at my heels. Especiallly after I had nicly ask them to keep the dog in the house before.

Last edited:

nocturnalbuck

one particular time i'm out in the sticks and i pull up to a house and park near the end of the driveway. a guy is standing there and i grab the package from the back and i can see that it's some sort of baseball hitting practice gadget. the guy says to me "my son has been waiting and waiting for this" . suddenly i hear a yelp from the house and a kid about 6-7 years old comes flying out of the house cheering on a dead sprint down the driveway to the package. i absolutely grinned for the rest of the day.

DS

Fenderbender
A few years back as I was heading out of town towards the hiway, a man and his wheelchair bound daughter waved me down from the roadside in front of their home. The girl was about 15-16 and had what appeared to be very limited movement of her arms and legs. I asked them how I could help them and the dad said his daughter wanted to give away a box of tootsie roll pops and reached out a shaky hand to give me one. I reached out and took it and was just overcome totally with a sense of, well I guess love, that this girl in her wheelchair wanted to brighten someones day and I was one of those whom she chose to. As I drove away, it was like I had just this super calm feeling about life, the planet, my center manager, and DM and all the other M's. I finished my day rolling that over in my head again and again. I forgot whatever might've bothered me for several days, and still to this day even telling about it makes me reassess my perspective on the little stuff that might bug me.

I have also had this happen to me albeit rarely.There should be a word for that feeling you get when a complete stranger goes out off their way to be nice.
Love? not really,more like an act of human kindness towards a fellow man .