The "Making It Right" Rumor

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Recently, there has been a lot of buzz about FedEx trying to stem the bleeding from turnover by "making it right" through lowering the top-out time, making sure new hires aren't coming in at a rate practically the same as 2-5 year couriers etc. Don't believe a word of it. All BS designed to keep more people around for a bit longer, raise morale, and inflate SFA acores, which are meaningless anyway.

It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside as I watch the turnover rate accelerate, and Fred loses money as a result. No organization can afford fast-food chain turnover except fast-food, and even they are up against it with the new $15 per hour movements in many cities.

The FedEx "solution" is just to keep hiring more people, and then watch them walk out the door. Hugely expensive, and very inefficient. More and more companies have figured out that it's actually cheaper long-term (we're only short-term here at Express) to pay people better so they stay, learn the job, and actually become proficient at it.

Not us. Our upper management knows with certainty that anyone can get behind the wheel after 3 days of training and kick butt out there on the road. A new Sprinter, DRA, and top-notch management calling the shots. What could possibly go wrong?

Our ops right now are like those aboard a nuclear attack submarine...precise, accurate, and always well-reasoned and executed. God, walking into a station today inspires you to greatness. Just like the crew on the sub, our crack team gets it right...every time.

We are the A-Team baby!! Watch out, UPS, because we're going to wipe the floor with you. Just wait, that huge raise for mid-term employees is right around the corner, as are 10 year top-outs!! Wow!! What company tops out it's employees in only 10 years?

We are the BEST!! Right? Making It Right should start with firing every single member of upper management, and then heading down the pyramid from there. This company sucks beyond belief. The best thing that could happen is to have a planeload of our top executives get flown into the side of a mountain.

overflowed

Even if they did do this stuff, it won't stem the tide because the trust is gone from lots of long time employees. Once you lose it you cannot get it back.

vantexan

I want to agree with you MFE but the flying into the mountain business is a bit extreme. They certainly have broken our trust to the point that anything they say has to be viewed with skepticism and ridicule. I convinced myself back in 2011 that they would come up with some kind of adjustment to make things right but never again until I actually see it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I want to agree with you MFE but the flying into the mountain business is a bit extreme. They certainly have broken our trust to the point that anything they say has to be viewed with skepticism and ridicule. I convinced myself back in 2011 that they would come up with some kind of adjustment to make things right but never again until I actually see it.

After what they've done to us van, I'm fine with any of them getting what they deserve.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Too late for the company to fix much of the wrong-doings that have piled up over the years unless there's a complete overhaul of upper management and Fred retires.

Code43

So, does anyone know if these rumors have any truth or weight to them? We've been told they are "working on a solution" blah blah blah.

Code43

At this point we are just trying to hold on to the one car we have. It's tough to make ends meet working 35 hours a week.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

At this point we are just trying to hold on the one car we have. It's tough to make ends meet working 35 hours a week.
My advice would be to look at getting another job. If you are waiting for FedEx to actually care about its employees and increase pay, you'll be waiting a very, very, very,very longggggg time.

Code43

Will be gone by the end of the summer unless FedEx shows things are going to change. If they topped us out I would stay. I'm not holding my breath for it Nor will it break my heart if it doesn't happen. We deliver packages. There's nothing special or amazing about it. I'm here to earn a paycheck. If they won't pay me for it I'll leave and do something else. I'm not even angry about it anymore. It's not even personal at this point.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Will be gone by the end of the summer unless FedEx shows things are going to change. If they topped us out I would stay. I'm not holding my breath for it Nor will it break my heart if it doesn't happen. We deliver packages. There's nothing special or amazing about it. I'm here to earn a paycheck. If they won't pay me for it I'll leave and do something else. I'm not even angry about it anymore. It's not even personal at this point.

What would it take (per hour) to make you stay?

overflowed

So, does anyone know if these rumors have any truth or weight to them? We've been told they are "working on a solution" blah blah blah.
It doesn't really matter. What this means is they have come to the conclusion they know they have to do something to stop the turnover. As soon as there's an excuse to take they will. Just my 2 cents. Wouldn't trust these people at all.

fedex_rtd

Yep...turnover is high, and employees with 17 years and less are pissed about not topping out at our location, and management still wonders why containers are overlooked and left at the stations and not making it to the ramp for the flights.

Lots of RTD's are just doing enough to stay out of trouble, most guys I know refuse to do anything extra, and management has to call in the "on call" guys when we have a late plane as no one wants to stay late.