The more you know...

Over 70

I prefer the well worn manuals for that reason. Slip shift like butter. Some are stiff and it's just a pain to get the to pop out of gear.

I failed my class A cdl test the first time because you had to double clutch every gear and I had never used the clutch to shift in 100k in a triaxle dump truck :teethy:.

AlliSeeisBrown

I appreciate the fact that they road test these runner gunners on a straight drive around here. It's the only reason I was called to drive considering my low seniority. A lot of them couldn't get the PC out of the yard. When I successfully shifted from 1st to 2nd and had no stall, the instructor looked at me like I was a God send.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I hated the switch to auto when they moved the shifter onto the dash. It was way easier on my sore diad wrist to shift a 4/5 speed on the floor. Much more ergonomic.

The only plus was the extra real estate it opens up to have a clear cab floor with no shift handle to snag the hand cart handle on.

Over 70

I kinda prefer the manuals. I think they are faster as in they sit in 2nd gear and you can be moving almost as soon as you turn the key. Auto you have the start then shift.

I do like when I get an auto though because it means I'll have heat, a door that shuts, and a functional horn. Also I won't have a sore right hand after filling out the dvir at the end of the day. :teethy:

Pooter

I drive a manual and it's great in the snow. I always feel in control. Unless I hit ice then it's Jesus Christ on the wheel :D

Most newer drivers are traumatized because "Manual Truck" meant, no power steering and a high step. They aren't bad nowadays.

I'd take a auto in a heartbeat though :D

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I appreciate the fact that they road test these runner gunners on a straight drive around here. It's the only reason I was called to drive considering my low seniority. A lot of them couldn't get the PC out of the yard. When I successfully shifted from 1st to 2nd and had no stall, the instructor looked at me like I was a God send.

Mine was surprised when I started it out of 2nd....

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I hated the switch to auto when they moved the shifter onto the dash. It was way easier on my sore diad wrist to shift a 4/5 speed on the floor. Much more ergonomic.

The only plus was the extra real estate it opens up to have a clear cab floor with no shift handle to snag the hand cart handle on.
Or wacking your bits n pieces on it !!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I'd love to see some of these kids today drive the old 800 with that stupid stick shift and the e brake on your knee , the drivers seat practically out the door !!
Lol

rod

Retired 22 years
I'd love to see some of these kids today drive the old 800 with that stupid stick shift and the e brake on your knee , the drivers seat practically out the door !!
Lol

Cove --were you there when the trucks had the "micro-brakes" on them? The extra emergency brake that totally locked the wheels.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Cove --were you there when the trucks had the "micro-brakes" on them? The extra emergency brake that totally locked the wheels.

I had an old p1000 loaner from another center that had air brakes
Just pull the button on the dash and that Ol girl wasn't moving

rod

Retired 22 years
I had an old p1000 loaner from another center that had air brakes
Just pull the button on the dash and that Ol girl wasn't moving

In the 70's our trucks all had the micro (mico?) brakes on them. To activate all you did lift the little lever on the dash and step on the brake pedal. It instantly locked your brakes. The trouble was that guys being guys we would set the micro brake lever on your buddies truck when he wasn't looking just before he started to pull away from the building. As he would be leaving he would at sometime before getting out of the lot step on his brake pedal, instantly locking up his brakes and sending his face toward the windshield. I think this bit of horseplay had something to do with why UPS took them all out and we had to rely on just your normal emergency brakes--most of which never held crap. This video is too long but it gives you a general idea of how they worked.