The nitty gritty of delivery city

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Ok, time to be helpful.

With my center putting on new drivers and some of the new drivers finding their way into BC, leave your best tips and tricks for PC del.

Never pass a water fountain with out drinking during the summer.

When del to a NI stop that has packages with multiple number a of attempts (i.e. One stop is first attempts one is 3rd) put the attempt number in the comment field so you won't dick it up when you sheet it as NI.

Always put the handcart blade down if you don't secure it, your shins will thank you.

Always prerecord stops for an office building before you get in the elevator son you know you have all then packages for sure.

Be extra nice to building managers and doormen. The can be your saving grace or the biggest pain in the asses!

Get good shoes.

To be continued

542thruNthru

I always tell the new guys 2 things.

1. Anytime you do a route you don't know. Don't be afraid to ask other drivers about it. Things like. Any customers I should be aware of. Any difficult deliveries that might be tricky.

2. DON'T LIE and always report an accident! You will screw up but if you lie about it kiss your job good bye. You may get in a accident one day. REPORT IT! You will not lose your job for it!

Sadly some people don't listen.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Jack your 401k contributions to the max when you top out. Can't miss money you never had.
Actually start at 20% from day one and when you top out that'll likely max you out.

It's easier for people to do it from the get go I think. If you see 1 check full scale with all that pay its easy to say oh in a few weeks. Then 10 years later you're behind.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Don't make eye contact with the tourists......they'll ask for directions....
We have a street in "the bad side of town" that has the exact same name as a popular shopping street. Except one is east and one is west.

Nothing better than to be delivering in the bad side of town and watch a car full of older white wide eyed and nervous folks come screaming up to you asking where the shops are.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
At some point, you're going home.
This! I tell kids this all the time!

You are not guaranteed a good load or a good dispatch. You're not guaranteed that you'll have an easy day or get off at a reasonable hour. You're not even guaranteed that your check will be correct.

The ONLY guarantee at ups is that he day will end.

Eventually

root

Calm down, i'll handle it
If possible, Always use the ones at major hotel chains or the ones near the front desk.

Tip: If you happen to be at one that has a 'convention center' or major ballroom/convention center go inside the doors that say convention center or something similar, and walk towards the ballrooms... there are always VERY CLEAN RESTROOMS there... ( they are cleaned at least 3 or 4 times every 8 hrs)...