The noon to one rule...

All Day

Does anyone else think UPS should do away with the no deliveries during lunch hour rule? It seems like at a time when we are trying to get lean and mean on production, the lunch hour rule is a bit out dated...

What do you guys think????

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Well I am glad that they are even enforcing this. For years I would get S/A's the next day after hot shots would skip through businesses from 12 to 1:00 leaving them high and dry. I have many businesses with staggered lunch times from 11 am to 230 pm. I have to figure it out. I don't find it easy, but what is. We offer a service that has to accomodate hours of operation. I just indirect, go back later or see if another route is able to get it there when the customer wants it.

kuff

By Law they must give us our lunch and breaks. After 15 years of running and gunning and giving UPS that time, I've taken every lunch and break for the last 4 years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does anyone else think UPS should do away with the no deliveries during lunch hour rule? It seems like at a time when we are trying to get lean and mean on production, the lunch hour rule is a bit out dated...What do you guys think????

There is no ban on commercial delivery attempts between noon and 1. There is a ban on commercial paid send agains attempted between noon and 1. On my area most of the businesses remain open all day with only a few govt offices closing between noon and 1 and I either indirect these or reattempt in the afternoon.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Well I am glad that they are even enforcing this. For years I would get S/A's the next day after hot shots would skip through businesses from 12 to 1:00 leaving them high and dry. I have many businesses with staggered lunch times from 11 am to 230 pm. I have to figure it out. I don't find it easy, but what is. We offer a service that has to accomodate hours of operation. I just indirect, go back later or see if another route is able to get it there when the customer wants it.
I agree the rule is fine in it's present form. Where I disagree is your assertion that we need to accommodate businesses with unconventional hours. We, like them, are in the business to realize a profit. I see it to be their responsibility to arrange for an alternate receiver or to be there during conventional hours.

In our center the pharse " attempt commercial deliveries during business hours" has been interpreted as between the hours of 8-5, no closed recorded from noon to one p.m.
If you go to a business that is closed from noon-one, go back after one but before five. That pretty much says it all.

old levi's

blank space
I agree the rule is fine in it's present form. Where I disagree is your assertion that we need to accommodate businesses with unconventional hours. We, like them, are in the business to realize a profit. I see it to be their responsibility to arrange for an alternate receiver or to be there during conventional hours.

Amen to that.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

I believe the rule is actually, no attempts to commercial deliveries outside of POSTED business hours. therefore any delivery attempted during a lunch closure, if complained about by the consignee could lead to discipline. I would not take that chance.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I believe the rule is actually, no attempts to commercial deliveries outside of POSTED business hours. therefore any delivery attempted during a lunch closure, if complained about by the consignee could lead to discipline. I would not take that chance.

I have a commercial stop that is only opened on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
They are closed from 12:00pm to 3:30pm on these days for "lunch".
The church office with a 2hr window.
The apt building rental office that opens late and closes early.
Are you kidding me?
How do you loop a route to accommodate this?
My route is already stretched to the limit.
There is no more blood to squeeze out of the turnip.
Rule or no rule, I dare them to make issue of this.
I'll make a fortune.
I have been questioned occasionally, to which my answer is that we'll need to re-loop the route.
To date this ends the discussion.
When these rinky dink businesses make a few trips to the customer counter on the 3rd day to pickup their same day will call, they arrange for a neighbor to receive the package or an alternate address.
Let's not lose sight of the prize, PROFIT.

satellitedriver

In our center the pharse " attempt commercial deliveries during business hours" has been interpreted as between the hours of 8-5, no closed recorded from noon to one p.m.
If you go to a business that is closed from noon-one, go back after one but before five. That pretty much says it all.
What he said.
Ditto

grgrcr88

I have a commercial stop that is only opened on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
They are closed from 12:00pm to 3:30pm on these days for "lunch".
The church office with a 2hr window.
The apt building rental office that opens late and closes early.
Are you kidding me?
How do you loop a route to accommodate this?
My route is already stretched to the limit.
There is no more blood to squeeze out of the turnip.
Rule or no rule, I dare them to make issue of this.
I'll make a fortune.
I have been questioned occasionally, to which my answer is that we'll need to re-loop the route.
To date this ends the discussion.
When these rinky dink businesses make a few trips to the customer counter on the 3rd day to pickup their same day will call, they arrange for a neighbor to receive the package or an alternate address.
Let's not lose sight of the prize, PROFIT.

I am all for making money, and if you can find a place to indirect, fantastic. My point is only that if someone were to make an issue of the fact that your attempt was during their posted lunch time, there is a posibility for discipline. right or wrong, it does open the posibility. I am not argueing with you Bubblehead, I have a route that is 80-90% commercial, places next door to each other have different lunch times. It can be a royal pain in the a** trying to get it all done, but I alwys try to give the best service to the customer that I possibly can. That if you ask me drives profit far more than anything else!!

grgrcr88

There is no profit in teamsters.

That could be one of the dumbest things I have ever seen posted, here or anywhere!!!

The Teamsters and UPS are a symbiotic relationship, they need each other to succeed in order for their own success. Do you really think the Union wants UPS to lose money and cut jobs or worse go out of business. Then where would we be!!

You really need to think a Little bit before you regurgitate on the screen!!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Ok, so the other day I have a COD pkg for a business that is open 12-5. I usually go through there in the AM, so I try twice to see if I can catch someone there early. A different route that is closer to it than mine in the afternoon had to end up taking it. Got a few customers that operate this way, and that's not even a lunch hour. Lot's of places are there from 12-1 but have some other weird thing like "closes at 2 on Friday". Sucks, but if push comes to shove we always end up coming up with something that works. It's just what's always happened here. I really wish it were easier, but it just never has been.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
88 hits it on the nose. if the hours are posted, and the lunch is between 1-3, we have to either deliver it before or after those hours, or have an agreed upon alternative. anything else could lead to discipline and customer issues with service.

we have lost a lot of business because we have become very rigid in our schedules, and the competition is waiting for those customers to move to them. in other words, besides lower pricing (which we have no control over, unless everyone opts for a pay cut), service failure to the customer sends a lot of business that should be ours elsewhere. and we do have control over that issue.

d

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
88 hits it on the nose. if the hours are posted, and the lunch is between 1-3, we have to either deliver it before or after those hours, or have an agreed upon alternative. anything else could lead to discipline and customer issues with service.

we have lost a lot of business because we have become very rigid in our schedules, and the competition is waiting for those customers to move to them. in other words, besides lower pricing (which we have no control over, unless everyone opts for a pay cut), service failure to the customer sends a lot of business that should be ours elsewhere. and we do have control over that issue.

d
In reality that is fine with me. I will be more than happy to reloop my route and bounce around to satisfy the many different unorthodox posted hours on my route. My miles would increase dramatically along with my paid day, while profit margin on all my packages goes down. It's my contention that when circumstances like these negatively affect the bottom line, these packages become undesirable. Whether these customers adapt or go elsewhere, we're better off.