The numbers game has gotten worse

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If we include SPORH lock-in in the next contract, we must also include exact stop counts. You can't hold someone to a certain SPORH and fluctuate a stop count by 50. Same with +/- 15. Bitch at us to be consistent yet provide us absolutely no dispatch consistency.

island1fox

Nice try at sidestepping what I said by hitting on my misspelled word. The fact of the matter is that you neglected many factors in your equation. I think the sum of your problem would come out differently if you threw in realistic data.

BTW, no one said there aren't people that take their time, I'm just thinking that you're lumping in the guys that actually do the methods and may seem to be dragging their feet, though these extra steps, which most had not done in the beginning, makes it seem as though they have slowed down purposely. This, my friend, is something that can't be judged by the "eye in the sky", and must be viewed with human eyes.

Steve,
Sidestepping ----Get real --- -UPS has a measurement for everything --whether you agree with the measurement or not . No sidestepping --through UPS measurement they know how many Drivers are two hours or more overallowed --what the cost is based on hourly wage and o/t and how many work days there are in a year ---this is not rocket science --just basic facts wheter you or I agree on the fairness of the measurement or not.
Also no one denies there are runners and there are slackers ---10% runners---10% slackers with the other 80% of the drivers doing the job correctly . Give a percent here or there but basically on target. Hard to sidestep facts !!!

P.S. Sorry for pointing out the spelling error ---you are correct --it has nothing to do with the reality of what we are discussing.:peaceful:

island1fox

:wink2:There seems to be some concern regarding SPOR or Performance language in the next contract.
I do not believe that will happen because the Company has finally realized(with the help of technology) that building a solid case against a consistent slacker is very realistic under the present "fair days work" language. Before Steve attacks me as "virtual" or not reality based on facts ----check out the Local 804 arbitration decision on this topic .
Some of this discussion can be found on Brown Cafe in the Labor relations discussions --regarding the 804 recent elections .

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If we include SPORH lock-in in the next contract, we must also include exact stop counts. You can't hold someone to a certain SPORH and fluctuate a stop count by 50. Same with +/- 15. Bitch at us to be consistent yet provide us absolutely no dispatch consistency.
Yes, 70 miles and 209 pcs, 90 miles, 290 pieces. In what world could the sporh be the same? Not mine.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Our center is down 900 delivery pcs daily, pick ups are even or below LY. Every center in our district is down and we are seeing car levels like we have never seen before and except for some bonus centers alot of center teams are struggling to put together a plan that makes sense daily mine included. You throw in the management draw down and things are kind of crazy.

hdkappler

even before i retired they were on our ass about bulkhead doors.i never saw a div.or dist mgr.ride around on my route.course a lot of things have changed since i retired.(liked the good old days when my sup or c.m.was on route bulkhead door opened didn't see a thing.)course in those days it was get the job done.

browned out

But what amount of money is spent harassing these drivers. I am sure some good drivers with bad time studies who are harassed will go out of their way to follow the methods to t.

browned out

:dissapointed:Just some food for thought. people say numbers do not mean anything.
I believe the majority of UPS people Management and Hourly would agree that close to 90% of the the people do a great --not perfect --but great job every day.
Not the 80 --20 concept --more the 90 --10 --10% of the drivers in each center and division cause the majority of the overallowed hours ---always have --
70,000 drivers---10% --7000 drivers ---overallowed hours at 2.00 = 14,000 hours per day @ 40.00 = 560,000 dollars per day --times 282 work days = 15,792,000. 00 .
Lots of money going out the door each day.
These ten % are consistently bad --never have a good day --come in the same time each night ---run the SAME spor each day --until they are OJSed.
We all know this is true ---makes it hard on all drivers when MGMT -does not PROFILE.
Minor infractions are enforced on all to avoid the charge of targeting ----This is hard for most people to accept ---but it is the reality of the situation.
:sad-little:

How much money is spent wasting time on these few drivers. What does it do to the good drivers who follow the methods and have bad time studies. This harassment pisses them off, discourages them , etc. Now they go out of their way to follow every method. The harassment costs more than it saves.

browned out

Just imagine what would happen if every driver in the country JUST FOR ONE DAY did their jobs properly and followed as many of the methods as they possibly could? It would send a stern message to management. But noooo......I don't think even half would be able to locate their jewels in order to do so.

We have more than a few bonus runners here who have been caught by mgmt leaving truck running, bulk head door open, on the phone , etc. They don't seem to care until an accident happens. Nuthin New

browned out

The numbers aren't made for US, they are made for mgmt. The better mgmt's numbers look to their bosses, the better the bonus for mgmt. When you and evryone else got trained, were you told that you had to reach a certain number and maintain a certain number so that mgmt could receive their glory or were you told to maintain a certain amount of sporh? There is no way that they can have you running a car with so many stops one day and so many more stops another day and expect you to maintain the same sporh. This is where their ficticious numbers come into play.

You're right about slackers, but I don't think that the majority of this is due to the few slackers in each building. I think that somewhere they came up with a new formula and decided to implement this formula, raising the bar, making it impossible to reach the numbers they want without killing yourself. If not, then why would a route that normally has 115 stops, start having 135 stops and more miles, yet be expected to be finished at the same time?

Another thing I don't get is this virtual time study. What if Joe run and gun is on the route when they do said time study? How does the time study know that I have to wait for an elevator each time at a certain stop? How come the PAL labels in the pkg car are the same exact number for a whole city block, yet I'm not supposed to have to sort anymore?

I'm just saying that there's a whole list of variables when it comes to people being over/underallowed, and the SERVICE we were trained for is not "allowing" for any of this.

Follow the methods is the best plan. UPS wants the same result no matter the conditions; this is unrealistic. OK today you ran 100 yards downhill in 12 seconds. Tomorrow you will run 100 yards; but uphill, next day in water, next day in sand, the next day in mud, next in quicksand. Ya see the thing is; we want you to put up that same number ever. No problem

browned out

Oh brother here we go again:happy2:

My sups can't run a missort without getting detailed directions from a real driver and stopping for a cheeseburger.

Living up to those standards for 10 years, let alone 30 would have most of these sups and drivers broken. Anyone can run for a day or a week, possible a few years and destroy a lot of routes. Many drivers will try and fail, get injured and be bought out for the measly 100k or 150k and be done. This is a goal for UPS. The more drivers that take these payouts after paying into the pension fund and collect nothing is a boom for UPS. This will be the way of the future with the average stop count in our ctr up to 150 stops (some rtes 200 plus stops) when the heavist driver 5 years ago went out with 140.

browned out

UPS currently has no fair or accurate way to gauge production. SPORH will never be a production gauge in future contracts. Our Union will never accept a production standard that completely disregards all of the variables in our workday. I don't believe our union will ever agree to any production gauge devised by UPS.

I hope not. Hoffa might accept a sporh disciplinary article. He has to go.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
But what amount of money is spent harassing these drivers. I am sure some good drivers with bad time studies who are harassed will go out of their way to follow the methods to t.
Which is exactly what I did when OJS'd yesterday. I got "dinged" for 52 method violations, though I think it would be easier if the supe just said, hey, why not try it this way. The OJS used to be a tool to fix driver's and now it's become a tool to fire/bully driver's.

How much money is spent wasting time on these few drivers. What does it do to the good drivers who follow the methods and have bad time studies. This harassment pisses them off, discourages them , etc. Now they go out of their way to follow every method. The harassment costs more than it saves.
Are you still talking about me?:wink2:

We have more than a few bonus runners here who have been caught by mgmt leaving truck running, bulk head door open, on the phone , etc. They don't seem to care until an accident happens. Nuthin New
Not only this, but they are immune to the laws we all must abide by. How can someone be in compliance with their 26 pick ups with the last 2 being picked up no earlier than 17:03, when they have already punched out and gone home at 16:39?

Re-Raise

How can someone be in compliance with their 26 pick ups with the last 2 being picked up no earlier than 17:03, when they have already punched out and gone home at 16:39?

I was told there would be no math....

One of my favorite SNL quotes.. Anyone remember who said it and what the skit was about?

JULAKA

It this trend continues and we end up having to drive 100mph and skip our lunches, after being locked in at some unatainable sporh then I am on the verge of leaving the union. If I am going to have to resort to running and working off the clock like a scab, just to keep my job, and the union that I pay the friendG dues to for the last 18 years just sits by and does nothing, then screw them too! This is the worst I have ever seen. A guy runs a few minutes over and he is threatend and harrassed over the ods. And if they ride with you to lock you in, you know they will find a way to cheat and make it look good and in their favor. Then your only choice will be to do whatever you have to do to keep your job or just let them rail you out. The union is a big ass waste of money for allowing this. At the very least, everyone in union jobs right now should be contacted with a barrage of complaints and then voted out when the time comes. All else fails I am out of the union right before I am forced to scab up or be fired.