The Power of Part-Timers

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We had late freight today, and when several part-timers were "asked" to stay late...they all refused. Good for them. The freight just sat there, and because 2 of our managers were already doing routes, it probably never hit the streets. Wouldn't it be great if more part-timers would stand their ground and follow the policies that keep them down to the letter? Let me explain.

The biggest form of PT abuse is the "today we need you" but "tomorrow we don't" dilemma. FedEx gets a tremendously flexible workforce that might get 8 hrs today and minimums tomorrow. The trouble is that when they "need you" and you have other commitments (because you are PT) the hammer comes-out and you're not "part of the team" if you can't stay. Well, then make me FULL-TIME, you cheap SOB's. "It's not in the budget" or "MEM won't approve hiring" are typical lines that are thrown-out in response. That's crap.

Here's the deal. If you are PT, they cannot require you to stay beyond your scheduled hours...no matter what. The plane or CTV can be 3 hours late...it's not your problem..it's theirs. And unless you stand your ground and leave them hanging, nothing is going to change. If you want to be PT, that's fine, but if you really want to be FT, they need to get the message that you're not playing their game, and nothing drives the point home like Code 01's, service failures, and managers having to do routes.

If you are a PT RTD, you have even more power. Next time they "need you", use their own policies against them and go home. Yes, it might be tempting to earn a few extra bucks, but in the long run, you're not doing yourself any favors. Stand your ground, and don't give-in, especially if you've scheduled an appointment, have childcare issues, or anything else that is a priority for you. They only want you on their terms, and until you grow a set, the abuse will continue.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

MFE, wouldn't it be in the best interest of a part-timer who wants to make this their career and to advance within the company to be as flexible as possible and available when needed?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MFE, wouldn't it be in the best interest of a part-timer who wants to make this their career and to advance within the company to be as flexible as possible and available when needed?

That would be the logical answer, but it doesn't work that way. FedEx is supposed to be a meritocracy, but it isn't. You could be the world's best and most flexible PT driver, and it could actually work against you and delay your ability to get FT status. FedEx burns a lot of PT employees by using their enthusiasm and dedication only when it suits the company.

What are the rules with part timers.Ive heard at my station from management that they can force part timers to work up to 30 hrs a week due to operational needs.Is this true?

vantexan

What are the rules with part timers.Ive heard at my station from management that they can force part timers to work up to 30 hrs a week due to operational needs.Is this true?

PTers aren't required to work more than 6 hrs a day, 30 hrs a week. And I believe that's the result of at least one lawsuit where PTers were forced to work more or less FT hours without FT benefits.

Whether or not a PTer advances to FT is strictly a matter of being the most senior PTer who wants an internal posting and has no warning letters on his record that would prohibit him applying. And any FT rt posted within a station that no other FTer wants will certainly be a lousy rt. Many stay PT because they know going FT means setting themselves up for daily physical abuse and stress. And unfortunately there's no great monetary reward like UPS drivers get for doing so.

tieguy

Banned
We had late freight today, and when several part-timers were "asked" to stay late...they all refused. Good for them. The freight just sat there, and because 2 of our managers were already doing routes, it probably never hit the streets. Wouldn't it be great if more part-timers would stand their ground and follow the policies that keep them down to the letter? Let me explain.

The biggest form of PT abuse is the "today we need you" but "tomorrow we don't" dilemma. FedEx gets a tremendously flexible workforce that might get 8 hrs today and minimums tomorrow. The trouble is that when they "need you" and you have other commitments (because you are PT) the hammer comes-out and you're not "part of the team" if you can't stay. Well, then make me FULL-TIME, you cheap SOB's. "It's not in the budget" or "MEM won't approve hiring" are typical lines that are thrown-out in response. That's crap.

Here's the deal. If you are PT, they cannot require you to stay beyond your scheduled hours...no matter what. The plane or CTV can be 3 hours late...it's not your problem..it's theirs. And unless you stand your ground and leave them hanging, nothing is going to change. If you want to be PT, that's fine, but if you really want to be FT, they need to get the message that you're not playing their game, and nothing drives the point home like Code 01's, service failures, and managers having to do routes.

If you are a PT RTD, you have even more power. Next time they "need you", use their own policies against them and go home. Yes, it might be tempting to earn a few extra bucks, but in the long run, you're not doing yourself any favors. Stand your ground, and don't give-in, especially if you've scheduled an appointment, have childcare issues, or anything else that is a priority for you. They only want you on their terms, and until you grow a set, the abuse will continue.

if the teamsters ever get off their cans and organize you then then the junior part timer would be forced to stay. businesses don't stay in business by working you full time when they don't need you full time.

LTFedExer

I've been trying for YEARS to educate part timers, especially new hires, that just because a manager asks you to stay late, they don't have to. Problem is, most part timers work around 18-21 hours and need the money, so they do it. And vantexan is correct, management CAN, though rarely do, require you work up to 6 hours for the day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
PTers aren't required to work more than 6 hrs a day, 30 hrs a week. And I believe that's the result of at least one lawsuit where PTers were forced to work more or less FT hours without FT benefits.

Whether or not a PTer advances to FT is strictly a matter of being the most senior PTer who wants an internal posting and has no warning letters on his record that would prohibit him applying. And any FT rt posted within a station that no other FTer wants will certainly be a lousy rt. Many stay PT because they know going FT means setting themselves up for daily physical abuse and stress. And unfortunately there's no great monetary reward like UPS drivers get for doing so.

If you have child care commitments, another job, or go to school, they cannot even force you to work 6 hours, but only your scheduled hours. I watch managers browbeat PTer's all the time. If they'd only read the policy and have some guts, they wouldn't get pushed around so badly. PTer's are great for Fred because FedEx gets full-time work out of them when needed (like at peak), and then sends them home with 2 hr minimums the first chance they get.

As you said, promotion to FT is strictly based on seniority, not merit. Funny how a company so against unions behaves just like one in certain areas. In a company based on "performance", the higher-performing employee should get the job, right? Wrong.

bbsam

Staff member
I'd find one part-timer, give him 2 hours a day and send him home. Make an example of him. Bet you'd see the "power of the part timer" dissipate quickly.

FedEx courier

I'd find one part-timer, give him 2 hours a day and send him home. Make an example of him. Bet you'd see the "power of the part timer" dissipate quickly.
Who cares what you would do, you don't really know what we are even talking about. Everybody knows you're a tough guy ground "IC" that treats his employees badly, o.k. then what now?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
UPS PT'ers are guaranteed 3.5 hours here and anything over 5 hours is OT. Needless to say quite a few get 5 hours but no more.

Our PT people are guaranteed 2 hrs or a minimum of 17.5 hrs per week. No O/T until after 8 hrs. Just another example of the difference between UPS and Fred's World, where only he makes the rules.

There used to be a policy that required FedEx to make PT employees FT if they exceeded 31 hrs for 10 consecutive weeks. Guess what disappeared? Also, guess what happens to "policy" when peak season gets going?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
if the teamsters ever get off their cans and organize you then then the junior part timer would be forced to stay. businesses don't stay in business by working you full time when they don't need you full time.

Agreed. The point is that FedEx abuses the hell out of PT people. There certainly is a place for the part-time position in this type of business. Thanks for visiting us over here. Does that mean we're no longer illegitimate? When Satellite Driver pays us a visit, I'll know the hex has been removed.

And speaking of illegitimate, where are those Teamsters?

tieguy

Banned
Agreed. The point is that FedEx abuses the hell out of PT people. There certainly is a place for the part-time position in this type of business. Thanks for visiting us over here. Does that mean we're no longer illegitimate? When Satellite Driver pays us a visit, I'll know the hex has been removed.

And speaking of illegitimate, where are those Teamsters?

I'm surprised you guys would actually let packages sit. assuming you want full time opportunity then you won't get it if you let packages sit and lose packages.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Yeah and watch him quit faster than you can say "IC" because he doesn't get enough hours.

Nice try.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm surprised you guys would actually let packages sit. assuming you want full time opportunity then you won't get it if you let packages sit and lose packages.

The opportunity isn't dependent on your willingness to take-out a pkg. It's strictly a seniority issue. The guy who always goes the extra mile and cleans-up all of the problems will get passed-over for FT if the lazy bum who does nothing was hired one day earlier.

Like I said, FedEx is supposed to be a meritocracy...it's not. As more and more people figure out that it's not worth the extra effort, they won't bother, and that's when pkgs sit undelivered.

If the PT employees who want to be FT would actually take a stand, there would be many more FT opportunities. As was pointed out, most need the money, and FedEx knows it.

tieguy

Banned

this is what I was referring to. you had customers that did not get their packages. if you lose them for these reasons then you definitely will not create any full time jobs and you may end up losing part time jobs. Don't get me wrong as a ups person I enjoy seeing these types of service disconnects at your company. I'm just surprised you guys don't realize the cost of letting those packages sit?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
this is what I was referring to. you had customers that did not get their packages. if you lose them for these reasons then you definitely will not create any full time jobs and you may end up losing part time jobs. Don't get me wrong as a ups person I enjoy seeing these types of service disconnects at your company. I'm just surprised you guys don't realize the cost of letting those packages sit?

Good observation. A lot of our packages sit these days, especially when planes are late. FedEx doesn't seem very concerned that a pkg that doesn't get delivered on Friday, won't be in the customer's hands until Monday. They used to make an all-out effort to deliver the stuff the day it came in, even if it was at 9 in the evening. One would think they would at least attempt the residentials on Saturday....nope. The budget is more important than the customer, and that's going to bite them in the ass. Customers remember the experience of spending $75 on an urgent package, only to have it sit over the weekend undelivered. And when they call customer service for a refund, they won't get it because FedEx will lie and say there was "An Act of God", which would be weather, or a false mechanical problem with a plane or vehicle. This pisses the customer off even more.