THE REALITY OF THE U.P.S. CONTRACT

Irishman Collins

The reality of this contract is simple to me. The reason the contract is full of concessions and give backs is because the only issue that was important to the Union was getting our Health Care. The Central States non profit health plan was sustainable until Obama Care. As Obama Care kicks in non profit plans like Central States will be unsustainable. This is a quote from a letter sent to the Democratic Party signed by three Unions, one being the Teamsters Union, Jimmy Hoffa. If you were wondering why this contract favors the Company it is simple. The Union wants and needs our participation in this non profit plan to keep this plan sustainable until Legislation can be passed to protect us from ObamaCare and if it doesn't by having us in the plan will lengthen the amount of time until the plan becomes unsustainable. In addition without legislation as the plan becomes to falter premiums will be increased with additional co-pays and your minimum age to retire with benefits will increase. Go ahead and google, Union letter to Democratic party about ObamaCare, if you dont believe me. We are being duped and i don't appreciate it!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I remember this being discussed 10 months or so ago on Brown Cafe.
My personal belief is that the Teamsters management want to control all UPS Teamster employee's healthcare and pension very badly.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
It's all tied into the Democratic party. The Union is behind obama for another back room deal. Which they thought they had. Till pelosi passed the bill. So they could read it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I remember this being discussed 10 months or so ago on Brown Cafe.
My personal belief is that the Teamsters management want to control all UPS Teamster employee's healthcare and pension very badly.
If this were the case, why would the Teamsters have sold the pension liability in the Central States to UPS in the last contract five years ago, creating a single employer pension for the largest faction of UPS Teamsters?
Five years later we find the Teamster trying to move a large number of the same UPS employees from a company health care plan into a Central States H&W fund?
It would seem that what the Teamsters want, depends on when you ask them?
In both instances, the membership has been asked to saddle additional concessions and UPS is loving every minute of it and the record profit bottom line supports this assertion.

Last edited:

alwaysoverallowed

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 173

Irishman Collins

For those of you that have been covered under Central States in the past. You need to understand now is different due to Obama Care. The words of our General President and other Unions is that with Obama Care our non profit plans will be "unsustainable". So if you haven't voted in Ohio yet I would suggest, you research and vote no.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Island

If the union controls the pension and healthcare without the company's involvement at all, they can nickle and dime us to death as they see fit to fund Hoffa's private jets. They can also begin to decrease our coverage gradually over time, claiming "sorry, this is getting more expensive due to rising costs so we're cutting back," when really they are just taking the money - that's how insurance works.
I have this theory of my own that the company had told the union, we are abandoning healthcare. We are not paying into it any longer. So the union said, well alright, we'll pay for it all... it will give us an excuse to double union dues and then some, when the insurance will only cost half of that. No problem, company, we'll take it. My local seems to be moving forward very slowly some plans to raise dues and am sure it will happen in the next couple years. I'm not saying the union is paying for everything without the company's help at all, or that the union is going to double everyone's dues... but I think it's on the horizon, because the union realizes it doesn't really need the company. Eventually it will just be an insurance and retirement financing firm that all UPS workers buy into, and abandon being our legal advocates. There's more money in finance than in labor.

smells like godzilla

Here are some key phrases and laws to look up: Taft Hartley, ERISA.
The union doesn't pay for insurance. Dues has nothing to do with health insurance. A multi employer Taft Hartley Fund is governed by ERISA (1974), is run by Union trustees and Employer trustees.
Employers pay an hourly contribution and the Fund administers the benefits. Having a larger participant pool means better purchasing power.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Stonefish

Not true.
Your pension fund was sold to the company in 2008 and is now controlled jointly by UPS and the Teamsters.
This move could very well leave you with a reduced pension benefit at age 65 if you don't retire NOW.

What you said isn't true the transfer was in 2007 and on the other issue I'm not going to train you but you are wrong