The Return of QDM

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Fred made special mention of QDM during his "From The Chairman" rant, which means I need to mention it here. We all call it QDUMB, which it most certainly is, or QuitDoingMeth, which requires managers to actually be sober and coherent when they speak to us.

Actually, QDM is just another feel-good FedEx acronym that means essentially nothing. Fred talks about it from his rocking chair, but has anyone ever seen it implemented, discussed at a station other than in the abstract, or actually practiced? My guess is "no", which means this is just another exercise of the absurd and a major waste of time and resources.

We should really call-it PDM, for Profit Driven Management, which is really what this company is all about anyway. The ironic thing is that they piss profit down the drain with every employee they "turn-off" and against the company. People who constantly go above and beyond and show up for work every day create a profitable enterprise. Why? Because they actually feel they have a stake in it's success and will be rewarded for their hard work. But not here.

Anyway, it will be fun to watch and see how productive and profitable the new PTDRA courier will be. DRA will make them "efficient", and PT will ensure that Fred can eventually do away with OT, retirement, and most benefits. I still think it's going to backfire on them big time, and when the PTDRA can't figure it out, they need to throw two PTDRA's at the problem instead of just one. That will negate any savings they got by kicking career couriers to the curb.

QDM will be a "vital" part of this, because Quality Driven Management will make every single delivery a Purple Promise one, and rainbows and unicorns will fill the sky.

A good start to really improving quality would be sending Fred off to Seizure World. Then I'd be a believer in the process.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Its already backfiring on them big time.

The workforce is so beaten down and degraded it is affecting performance and public relations.

I think they figured they had a few more years of lead time into this and are caught not knowing how to handle the situation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
DRA is anything but efficient... it is a total FUBAR at our station

Exactly. That's why the new paradigm, which features the forever PT, DRA-dependent courier, is problematic. They can even get ROADS right, and now they're moving on to DRA.

CJinx

I'm not really sure what the point of QDM or ABLE is supposed to be. What happened to old fashioned problem solving? Do we really need a procedure for any of this? Sounds like reinventing the wheel to me. I always get dirty looks whenever I ask these questions.

vantexan

I'm not really sure what the point of QDM or ABLE is supposed to be. What happened to old fashioned problem solving? Do we really need a procedure for any of this? Sounds like reinventing the wheel to me. I always get dirty looks whenever I ask these questions.

Amen, can we just clock in, do our jobs, and clock out without dealing with the latest grand scheme?

hypo hanna

Our mgmt is pitiful. every new loony idea is thrown onto the front line employees often with no support or training. Then even after it fails it is left in effect while they roll out the next poorly thought out scheme. Thank god I'm no longer a dispatcher. For every one of these the drivers get, the dispatchers get three.
We cry out for leadership and yet there is none!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our mgmt is pitiful. every new loony idea is thrown onto the front line employees often with no support or training. Then even after it fails it is left in effect while they roll out the next poorly thought out scheme. Thank god I'm no longer a dispatcher. For every one of these the drivers get, the dispatchers get three.
We cry out for leadership and yet there is none!

I have a close friend in Dispatch, and they are slamming them with all sorts of new tasks. Add-in all of the new completely lost couriers, and equally lost management, and you have some real unhappy campers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You make waaay too much sense, so you'll never succeed at this company. If you don't present an idea as an acronym, it has no chance of survival. Call it OFPS (Old Fashioned Problem Solving) and then have some manager present it as "their" idea.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
speaking of acronyms. Ya know how fond these jokers are of ones that they can make into a simple word. I think they really dropped the ball back when they changed AGT&T to AGFS (Air, Ground and friendreight Services). Why didn't they go with friendreight and Air Ground Services instead?.....