The Revolving Door

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I wonder how long it's going to be before FedEx realizes that continous terminations and resignations won't leave enough people to deliver the freight? I'm not giving exact numbers, but my large station has had around 10 resignations or terminations within the last month. Several people just got tired of the BS and found work elsewhere, and the rest were fired. Of special interest were 4 of the last 5 new hires, all canned because they couldn't do the job.

The courier job isn't rocket science, but it definitely requires someone with good decision-making skills, a sense of direction and prioritization, self-management, and excellent interpersonal skills. Simply put, a lot of people cannot do the job effectively. Add-in the low pay and ruthless micromanagement, and you end up with a sub-par workforce incapable of delivering effectively, much less delivering the Purple Promise. It's what they used to call a Pink Collar Job, which was a mixture of blue and white collar work.

FedEx doesn't get it that it's impossible to attract and retain excellent employees given the current environment at the company, and it's really starting to show, especially when it comes to customer service. Several of our couriers who came from the ramp couldn't even read a mapbook, much less find a residential stop. The ones who come from Memphis are the worst (to get FT), because they aren't from the area and usually are swing drivers, the worst possible position for a newbie.

You get what you pay for, and these days, Fred is getting exactly that, with disastrous results. Perhaps one of you engineers out there can calculate the costs of hiring, training, and terminatiing employees who stay for just a few weeks or months. Think that is cost-effective? How about the cost of retaining someone who can only do 7 or 8 stops per hour on a route that should be doing 15? It's happening, because until they can find bodies to replace the crummy courier, they get to stay. Efficient? Hardly.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Sounds like in addition to all that, there's a few Captain Bly's running that station.

It all boils down to FedEx shooting themselves in the foot by scaring there good help away.

Oh well Memphis has already hit the self-destruct button. Maybe the Memphis engineers will be put on janitorial duties once there's no couriers left to harass.

SmithBarney

They scare away the good workers by offering FastFood wages...
but at the same time FedEx is getting what they want, getting rid of the
high cost senior employees, just think you can hire two idiots at $13/hr
and get rid of one $25/hr sure it is more expensive but if the two can do
just 125% of what the one was doing, and the $13/hr guys won't last long
enough to pay a pension, and getting rid of the $25/hr means lower pension
costs/insurance cost etc... FedEx comes out ahead... remember the company
is run by number crunching engineers, and these numbers are all they see.

Start to think like they do, and you will quickly realize they don't have employee interests in mind.

Billy_Baconhead

I couldn't agree more with all 3 statements. Fedex wants the senior/top out employees to quit/resign on their own. They want cheaper PART TIME employees. You should see the new employees we get. Dear god...it looks like they found some of these people out of trailer parks.

Our turnover has been extremely high the past 6 months. This includes senior managers, managers, couriers and handlers! I would say around 8-10 people the past 6 months at our station have left the company or stepped down from management.

Again this all plays into the scheme the corporate boys want. Reducing Express into a over-night service only. All 2 day and express saver to ground. Keep breaking full-time routes and splitting up the work load via retirements/displacements. Make the job absolutely miserable for senior employees so, they take the early retirement. Lastly have a revolving door of unskilled part-time employees. In this economy they will always find someone to fill the void...even if it's for 6 months! Sadly we're are seriously getting unskilled gas station attendant quality workers. In which making 15-16hr is living the good life for them.

We all see the big picture here. At least when the time comes (due to a poor peak we're forced to...) we won't be standing there with our jaws dropped. I just wish more people at our company would wake up and see the true big picture. Nope...they're all to happy when we get some stale burgers and brats! "It's so great to work here! HEY at least we have a job"...how many times I've heard that statement makes me quiver in agony!

vantexan

The problem is that where do you go if you leave? Where are all the great paying jobs at? Go to college on loans, come out in debt and yet no jobs? Right now just waiting with morbid fascination to see how everything will turn out in the next year. Want to get at least 3 years in but they may make it impossible. I remember thinking when they announced they were terminating the pension plan that I was wrong thinking there was little left that they could do to us. I'm just wondering if they'll be able to force us into part-time positions, or will I at least get 35 hrs? Why are they waiting to tell us about the new pay raise plan? When will we give Ground our P2? Maybe the Mayans were talking about FedEx in 2012?(couldn't resist). Will be an interesting year.

HomeDelivery

isn't that's why they are trying ROADS? so they can try to have someone that's PT and willing to work for less to drive the FT courier's route?

I know that with HD, they have a sequential order to deliver the packages; sometimes it's not as efficient, but any ole driver can take over a full-timer's route when the regular gets into an accident, or gets sick & can't cover their route...

I can drive blind to a new area daily (which I've done in the past as a cover driver) with no problems reading their printed maps/manifests/turn by turns...

HomeDelivery

i know with the HD sector, we do have a complete list in our scanners,

along with the paper printouts, just in case our scanner dies on the road

so, ROADS isn't like this???

i know with ground, they have this capability, but they don't use it

BoxDriver

isn't that's why they are trying ROADS? so they can try to have someone that's PT and willing to work for less to drive the FT courier's route?

I know that with HD, they have a sequential order to deliver the packages; sometimes it's not as efficient, but any ole driver can take over a full-timer's route when the regular gets into an accident, or gets sick & can't cover their route...

I can drive blind to a new area daily (which I've done in the past as a cover driver) with no problems reading their printed maps/manifests/turn by turns...

Not all the HD routes are that easy to cover. Most of the city routes are ok but there is a lot of mapping problems with the rural routes in my area. Also many of the routes have grown significantly over the years to where they need to be broken up but the contractors won't do it until forced to when their long time driver finally quits and they have no choice.

newgirl

Since Ricochet isn't coming back, I guess I will answer here. I have to stick it out. That's basically what I have been doing for the past 20 odd years. There are no jobs in my state, plus no one will hire me at my age. Unless I hit the Lotto, I am stuck. I'll do my best, be as safe as possible and tow the line.

However, I am going to start making copies and writing more things down for when they fire me. I suggest everyone start doing this.

vantexan

...Unless I hit the Lotto, I am stuck. I'll do my best, be as safe as possible and tow the line.
I've been corresponding with a lady who lives in a RV park in Catemaco, Vera Cruz in southern Mexico. I've seen the park in pictures, beautiful grassy grounds with modern facilities. Sits by one of Mexico's largest lakes, has a security wall and night watchman. Warm year-round and you can easily get by there on less than $800 a month. They also rent a number of small apartments. They have Internet, and you can get satellite tv. Just an example of what's available. I'm heading to Oaxaca, popular with tourists with all inclusive apts available, that's rent, utilities, cable, Internet available for $350 or less. And Oaxaca has alot to do with a substantial English speaking expat population. I just don't see anything comparable here and it's safe to boot. We get told all our lives this is the greatest country on Earth. In many ways it is. But there are options that are better on limited income. That's the hitch that holds people back. They may hate their job, but believe it's better to slog through to the bitter end than to live in a hellhole like Mexico. They're wrong, and sadly will refuse to believe it. Hundreds of thousands of Americans have figured it out however, and considering the current environment in this country the sooner I leave the better.

Last edited:

Lucho Kaiser

Van, I do support your idea, but by doing this all your doing is reinforcing american corporations belief that we can get by on less. I was born in america, and have direct descendants here since the mid 1600's. I shouldnt have to leave the country my family has known for 400 years To retire comfortably. I find the idea appalling. Not critisizing, it works for you. However, kinda makes me wonder if your plan is also ideally what corporations prefer us employees do, sure they pay us crap wages and joke of retirement, but if we can all go to mexico for 800 a month and enough people are content with this pretty soon thats what they'll rationalize paying All of us....

vantexan

Van, I do support your idea, but by doing this all your doing is reinforcing american corporations belief that we can get by on less. I was born in america, and have direct descendant
s here since the mid 1600's. I shouldnt have to leave the country my family has known for 400 years To retire comfortably. I find the idea appalling. Not critisizing, it works for you. However, kinda makes me wonder if your plan is also ideally what corporations prefer us employees do, sure they pay us crap wages and joke of retirement, but if we can all go to mexico for 800 a month and enough people are content with this pretty soon thats what they'll rationalize paying All of us....

But didn't your ancestors come here looking for something better? I'm almost half Cherokee and have Hispanic cousins so my perspective might be different. But my Irish and Scots-Irish ancestors came here to improve their lives. Doesn't have to be Mexico, there's a big world out there. But it simply costs more here and in other Western nations. If the corporations move their factories elsewhere to take advantage of better prices why can't we? Ultimately you've got to realize it's their game here in the States. Unfortunately due to the lack of a real pension and possibly Social Security collapsing at some point, most people won't have enough to leave anyways. Bit the world has places where you can get by fine, and with modern technology you're never out of touch, but you have to have an income to do it because you can't work in most places and it's for peanuts if you could. Fight the good fight, but you can't make them pay you really well, all you'll do is shut them down. UPS is an exception, and who knows how long that'll keep up? We in mid-range have been working side-by-side with topped out employees who have made considerably more than us for 12 years now. There may come a point where IBT will have to make concessions to stay competitive with our cut-rate Ground. New drivers will be working for much less than their senior counterparts. Think it can't happen? Ground keeps growing. Where do you think that business is coming from? Not from our bad economy. People are looking to save. It's a harsh reality but our corporate execs know, as Ricochet just pointed out, that they are in control and thus all the recent moves. So stay and work for as little as they can get away with paying you because that's what they really want, experienced, productive couriers for less. If all I'm going to do is just get by then I might as well get by without working. Better that than make some rich guys richer and struggling into my mid-60's if not longer.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx doesn't think you deserve a real retirement. vantexan can retire wherever he wants to, but I'd prefer to retire in the US also. Fred's vision of a retirement is where you either live in your car, in a shabby mobile home park, or move in with relatives and sponge off of them. That sucks. What really sucks is that Fred doesn't pay you enough to really have much in savings, because when you live check to check, there isn't anything left to save.

Take a really good look at your "retirement" plan and realize how little you receive in return for being a FedEx wage slave. We are nothing to them. Unless you are a pilot or in management, you are an "asset" to FedEx, just like a van or a PowerPad. When you are worn-out, you will be disposed of because you are no longer profitable. So many Purple People find this out the hard way when they get sick or injured and FedEx wants to toss them. Figure it out now, not later.

vantexan

But unless the IBT steps up and spends some bucks organizing us it won't happen. The grim reality you described is exactly what you'll face here in the States. I once lived in Seattle, my family lived in Florida. I would've been closer to them if I lived in Mexico. With cheaper airfare. Good satellite tv, Sirius satellite radio, there's even a telecommunications firm offering 4G Internet now. Go shopping at Sam's or Walmart, get parts from Autozone, eat at Red Lobster, see the latest Hollywood movie in English. And no snow. Easy call for me, but maybe FedEx will come up with a more generous retirement plan.

LTFedExer

Since Ricochet isn't coming back, I guess I will answer here. I have to stick it out. That's basically what I have been doing for the past 20 odd years. There are no jobs in my state, plus no one will hire me at my age. Unless I hit the Lotto, I am stuck. I'll do my best, be as safe as possible and tow the line.

However, I am going to start making copies and writing more things down for when they fire me. I suggest everyone start doing this.
Your answer is nothing like Ricochet's. His would take a lot longer to read.
and you can easily get by there on less than $800 a month.
I've been getting by on $800/month for the past 4 years, not including gas and food. That will change Dec 1st.

HomeDelivery

Not all the HD routes are that easy to cover. Most of the city routes are ok but there is a lot of mapping problems with the rural routes in my area. Also many of the routes have grown significantly over the years to where they need to be broken up but the contractors won't do it until forced to when their long time driver finally quits and they have no choice.

agreed, when it comes to a rural route, I hoped the regular driver had "zoned" the areas of deliveries to where it makes sense & not go in a big loop (unless I'm being paid by the hour; then I'll just follow the sequence numbers).

I've covered ~60% of the state that i'm in as a relief/swing/cover driver & had my fair share of rural areas & if i get stuck in a rental, i'll go into the office to get an "overview map" (as posted earlier) to see if there'll be any problems with my route for the day.

Then, I'll sort/pre-load my rental vehicle in a way that i think it'll be more time efficient. If I have a standard stepvan with shelves, however, I'll just pack them in sequential order & will go off sequence/ jump around the shelves as needed to complete the route & maximize my stops-per-road-hour.

As for the 2nd part of that statment, I agree as well... those contractors that doesn't listen to their drivers & runs them to the ground will not be an effective boss. One driver that i trained had volume that doubled in his service area & burned himself out in 3 years because he was a "runner/gunner" or whatever UPS calls them. Now that contractor had to hire 2 drivers to cover his area.

vantexan

Your answer is nothing like Ricochet's. His would take a lot longer to read.

I've been getting by on $800/month for the past 4 years, not including gas and food. That will change Dec 1st.

How much with gas and food? Do you live in a scenic moutain area with a mild climate. Feeling poorly, will going to the doctor cost you $25? When you are retired? Can you build a nice home for $50k? Can you play golf in January? Go fishing or hiking when the high up north might be in the teen's or even colder?

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I want to live that Zac Brown Band song, and just hope that the tide doesn't reach my chair. I decided this a while ago, just want to live on the water, but it has to be an ocean, no lakes...lol