The Reward For Working Harder Than Everyone Else!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I know a contractor who pays his guys cash. He offers no health ins obviously. 1st day on the job, he tells everyone "Be careful. You hurt yourself, fall off the roof, we won't take you to the hospital - we kill you & bury you at the jobsite & say you never showed up for work that day"

I can imagine UPS is the same way for opposite reasons.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I know a contractor who pays his guys cash. He offers no health ins obviously. 1st day on the job, he tells everyone "Be careful. You hurt yourself, fall off the roof, we won't take you to the hospital - we kill you & bury you at the jobsite & say you never showed up for work that day"

I can imagine UPS is the same way for opposite reasons.

Lets put it this way...I was out of work Mon - Wed.
I was in the hospital.
When I got back on Thursday, I actually got in trouble for being out :surprised:
Yup, and I am not lying!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

My motto in the load -one package per 11.2 seconds. 6 packages per minute. 300 per hour. I count to 11 before for each scan. :wink2:

I'll start banging out 2000/hr in the unload or 500/hr in the load when the sups start sharing their productivity bonuses.
I'd have no problem with working frantically and unsafely, like the young gun, teachers pet types, if UPS contributed a bonus for doing so.

I believe that anyone who works a high volume area and kills it with above average #'s should be rewarded for it. then it'd be a job worth breaking yourself.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
My motto in the load -one package per 11.2 seconds. 6 packages per minute. 300 per hour. I count to 11 before for each scan. :wink2:

I'll start banging out 2000/hr in the unload or 500/hr in the load when the sups start sharing their productivity bonuses.
I'd have no problem with working frantically and unsafely, like the young gun, teachers pet types, if UPS contributed a bonus for doing so.

I believe that anyone who works a high volume area and kills it with above average #'s should be rewarded for it. then it'd be a job worth breaking yourself.

citizen-journalism.gif

:funny:
heh-heh

Mike Hawk

I'm no rocket scientist, but 6 PPM means one package every 10 seconds right? It would be nice to have performance bonuses, although I have doubts over weather management could be fair with them. I'd go back to loading trucks if I got a bonus for beating the misload goal and stop for stop loading.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I'm no rocket scientist, but 6 PPM means one package every 10 seconds right? It would be nice to have performance bonuses, although I have doubts over weather management could be fair with them. I'd go back to loading trucks if I got a bonus for beating the misload goal and stop for stop loading.

5 or 6 per minute is what I really meant, I'll do 6 to keep my nose clean and to make sure I don't go below. 5 per min = 50 per 10 minutes = 300/hr

Management wouldn't be fair with them. It would open a whole can of worms that shouldn't be opened. conversely, it would be nice to be rewarded for working hard. Maybe non-union hourlies could have that system.

rod

Retired 22 years
Everyone sooner or later has that "eye opening moment":whiteflag: It ranks right up there with the moment you realize "the place will not fall apart when you go on vacation" or that "the new boss will NOT be better than the old boss." Also that a good customer WILL turn on you if things don't go their way. Life is full of lessons that only years of experience allows you to learn:wink2: My experience is that the sooner you learn these lessons - the easier it is to get your 30 in and get out.

tieguy

Banned

I always find it interesting when someone uses the sups pursuit of productivity as an excuse to steal from the company. Unless you're coding out that 10 second pause each time as a break?:happy-very:

You then roll into using the sups compensation and bad mouthing others with a better work ethic as further justification for your laziness.

The job must bore you to tears if you sit there and deliberately plod like that at work. One thing I always found when I did it was the time went a lot quicker and the job was easier when I kept busy.

If you're counting out 11 seconds all night then the night must take forever. that would be more torturous for me then doing twice the expected work.

tieguy

Banned
They give you more work to do.

Had a "smack myself in the forehead" revelation today with this.

You can do more work but don't think you should have to?

I'll have to try that approach at work.

whats that you need next friday off , couldn't get a personal and you want to know what my staffing looks like next week?

>>Gee I don't know that sounds like too much work for me to look and then you'll expect more from me tommorrow.

Whats that too much union dues was taken out of your check and you want me to call payroll and find out why?

>>Nah too much work for me to do that and then you'll expect more from me tommorrow.