the single stupidest thing about UPS that i know of

Kingpin13

im a freight driver/ dockworker, and i know that most of you are ground and alot of you are part time well its well known that alot of young people go to work for UPS for the tuition assistance well this next thing is just plain STUPID if you are a young freight dockworker, and you want to become a driver and need CDL training....UPS will NOT help you pay for classes even if you take them, at Ivy Tech....but if u want to be an accountant, doctor, nuclear physicist or a business manager they will help you pay for it but the one thing that actually applies to freight workers careers (CDL training) they wont help you pay for it no matter where you take the courses how stupid is that?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
While i would expect someone that has not been with ups for very long to think that is the single stupidest thing........you need to hang around a while.

UPS hires some people whose photo follows the definition of stupid in the dictionary. The only place with more stupidity is the US gooberment.

No kidding, sit back and watch. Prepare to be amazed!

d

rushfan

The UPS calendars, especially this year. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy to know we are helping control global warming.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
is just plain STUPID if you are a young freight dockworker, and you want to become a driver and need CDL training....UPS will NOT help you pay for classes even if you take them, at Ivy Tech....but if u want to be an accountant, doctor, nuclear physicist or a business manager they will help you pay for it but the one thing that actually applies to freight workers careers (CDL training) they wont help you pay for it no matter where you take the courses how stupid is that?

You are obviously young and inexperienced...I know of hundreds of things that are stupider than that...HUNDREDS. :wink2:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Here, you actually pay the Union to take CDL training to get your license. Its cheaper than doing it like a regular person. One of the perks at UPS is the reimbusment you get when you have a C or better in college classes. You should make sure that the college is covered before you think they will help pay for it.

Plus, don't make it seem like UPS doesn't care. I have never heard of Ivy College. If it is an accredited college, than there must be a reason they don't back it up. It could be the equivolent of getting a degree online. Would need more info.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Degrees and programs, college services, library resources, distance learning, business and industry training, news, employment.

www.ivytech.edu

They also offer 300 courses online that would probably not be compensated by UPS. Obviously not positive, but would doubt it

I got CDL training from a state technical college, a 12-credit 10-week program. UPS Earn and Learn paid for most of it.

There are many ways to get the CDL license. As a Teamster I would take their class just because it would be an inside track to feeders. But you are right, as long as your license lets you drive CDL, than go with it.

Kingpin13

u get that im young and inexperienced from this? i been talkin to some of the younger guys who dont have a CDL yet, and they have been telling me UPS will not help them pay for a CDL no matter where they take the classes at but everybody knows UPS does tuition assistance for any other colleges i even talked to my sup about it cuz he use to be a driver himself and he confirmed this, he said he agreed it was stupid

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
did you ever think i might be so "young and inexperienced" because im new to UPS BECAUSE we were formerly overnite?

I agree with you that as UPS drivers, we should get a free education in a CDL license. Too pay so much for it is a joke, but has been the way for years. I guess you can call it an investment in yourself, while UPS reimburses someone's class in Ancient Roman Plumbing. At least you know you will be going somewhere. :wink2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Here in Chicago, ups will train you and certify you to get your license, all we have to do is pay the permit fee and take that test on our own.

Kingpin13

I agree with you that as UPS drivers, we should get a free education in a CDL license. Too pay so much for it is a joke, but has been the way for years. I guess you can call it an investment in yourself, while UPS reimburses someone\'s class in Ancient Roman Plumbing. At least you know you will be going somewhere.

LOL i agree, they will pay for college but not for CDL training i already have my CDL, but when i found this out i couldnt believe it maybe its just our terminal i dont know

Bad Gas!

Our feeder drivers recieve free training on back to back weekends unpaid...

This would be a good thread just for "what are the stupiest things that UPS has done in pkg car this week"?....seriously.. daily