The slobs among us...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
...my usual package car was in the shop most of the week so I wound up driving an assortment of spare cars. Without fail, every morning before leaving the building I had to refill a bone-dry fuel tank and remove at least one full DR bag packed full of trash that had been jammed into a every nook and cranny of the cab.

I am hardly a neat freak, and my truck is usually filthy from spending half the day on dusty gravel roads, but I cannot stand working in a truck full of garbage. I'm talking about candy wrappers, Big Gulp cups full of tobacco spit, bags from fast-food resturaunts, empty water bottles, etc.

What is amazing to me is that our building has trash cans on the fuel islands right next to the pumps, so when we refuel there is a trash can less than 3 feet away. Yet I see drivers pull in at night with overflowing waste baskets and cabs packed full of garbage that they don't bother dumping out while they refuel. I don't understand how anyone can stand to work all day in a truck packed full of trash, and it is downright disrespectful to your fellow driver to leave your mess behind for him or her to clean up. It also causes service failures; I found two smalls in the back that had been picked up days earlier and wound up getting buried underneath trash and clutter that had piled up on one of the shelves.

UPS needs to implement and enforce a rule requiring drivers to clean trash out of the truck as part of the post-trip inspection.

Overpaid Union Thug

The
...my usual package car was in the shop most of the week so I wound up driving an assortment of spare cars. Without fail, every morning before leaving the building I had to refill a bone-dry fuel tank and remove at least one full DR bag packed full of trash that had been jammed into a every nook and cranny of the cab.

I am hardly a neat freak, and my truck is usually filthy from spending half the day on dusty gravel roads, but I cannot stand working in a truck full of garbage. I'm talking about candy wrappers, Big Gulp cups full of tobacco spit, bags from fast-food resturaunts, empty water bottles, etc.

What is amazing to me is that our building has trash cans on the fuel islands right next to the pumps, so when we refuel there is a trash can less than 3 feet away. Yet I see drivers pull in at night with overflowing waste baskets and cabs packed full of garbage that they don't bother dumping out while they refuel. I don't understand how anyone can stand to work all day in a truck packed full of trash, and it is downright disrespectful to your fellow driver to leave your mess behind for him or her to clean up. It also causes service failures; I found two smalls in the back that had been picked up days earlier and wound up getting buried underneath trash and clutter that had piled up on one of the shelves.

UPS needs to implement and enforce a rule requiring drivers to clean trash out of the truck as part of the post-trip inspection.

I'd bet my whole year's salary that the same people that leave the trucks in such a terrible mess are the same worthless scum that won't scan misloads as they find them (or at all) causing the rest of us to waste time, energy, and lots of sweat digging through the truck for them. They are the same pricks that leave their piss bottles in the trucks along with the rest of the garbage. The same pond scum that won't even take the time to fill out the info notices that they leave on a customers door. The same fools that show up on the stacks of DFUs that appear in the logs of all of the routes they've covered lately. Yeah.....those turds.

Integrity

Binge Poster

soberups,

The contract states that all package cars and tractors will be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition.

Your situation seems to be a clear violation of Article 18 Section 1. of the Master.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
The

I'd bet my whole year's salary that the same people that leave the trucks in such a terrible mess are the same worthless scum that won't scan misloads as they find them (or at all) causing the rest of us to waste time, energy, and lots of sweat digging through the truck for them. They are the same pricks that leave their piss bottles in the trucks along with the rest of the garbage. The same pond scum that won't even take the time to fill out the info notices that they leave on a customers door. The same fools that show up on the stacks of DFUs that appear in the logs of all of the routes they've covered lately. Yeah.....those turds.
Overpaid Union Thug,

I would recommend that when discussing the issue that you stick to the issue at hand.

It is my opinion that there is no way of telling if the behaviors are related without an investigation of some sort.

I don't believe it is a smart thing to bet your whole years salary on this.

A smaller bet maybe but not your whole years salary.

Sincerely,
I

Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug,

I would recommend that when discussing the issue that you stick to the issue at hand.

It is my opinion that there is no way of telling if the behaviors are related without an investigation of some sort.

I don't believe it is a smart thing to bet your whole years salary on this.

A smaller bet maybe but not your whole years salary.

Sincerely,
I

The issue I brought up is relevant to the OP's topic. I don't need to investigate to know that. Does every single driver that trashes a truck fall into that category? No....but you can bet that a huge chunk of them do.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The issue I brought up is relevant to the OP's topic. I don't need to investigate to know that. Does every single driver that trashes a truck fall into that category? No....but you can bet that a huge chunk of them do.
Overpaid Union Thug,

I disagree.

You paint with a broad brush as you stray from the topic.

The company is contractually obligated by Article 18 Section 1 to maintain all package cars in a clean and sanitary condition.

That is really the only source of the OP's problem.

Management in his area appears to be not fulfilling this contractual obligation.

Sincerely,
I

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The paper and bottle garbage on the shelves when I come in (not piss bottles) doesn't bother me so much,..I'll grab it and toss it under the bottom belt (which is where we throw our garbage).

One of my biggest pet peeves....is drivers (usually cover drivers) who don't leave the hand cart up near the bulkhead door at the.end of their day...but leave it laying down on a wheel hub, or in the cargo area, or even lay it down up on a shelf. It just irks me.,..put it back!

Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug,

I disagree.

You paint with a broad brush as you stray from the topic.

The company is contractually obligated by Article 18 Section 1 to maintain all package cars in a clean and sanitary condition.

That is really the only source of the OP's problem.

Management in his area appears to be not fulfilling this contractual obligation.

Sincerely,
I
You can disagree all you want but in my center I can assure you that most of us know who is doing what. That comes with working with the same people for years. It's not hard to notice patterns. Being that the job is virtually the same in each and every center you can be sure that that applies everywhere. I've already started to suspect, or in some cases already acknowledged, patterns of our newer drivers. I know who the slobs are in our center and which people refuse to scan misloads. Well guess what? Most of the slobs are the same drivers that fit my description you seem so obsessed with debunking. Well, you are wrong. Sorry but that's just how it is.

Integrity

Binge Poster
You can disagree all you want but in my center I can assure you that most of us know who is doing what. That comes with working with the same people for years. It's not hard to notice patterns. Being that the job is virtually the same in each and every center you can be sure that that applies everywhere. I've already started to suspect, or in some cases already acknowledged, patterns of our newer drivers. I know who the slobs are in our center and which people refuse to scan misloads. Well guess what? Most of the slobs are the same drivers that fit my description you seem so obsessed with debunking. Well, you are wrong. Sorry but that's just how it is.
Overpaid Union Thug,

Can you intelligently respond to the fact that there is a clear violation of Article 18 Section 1 of the contract.

It is management failure to maintain the package cars in a sanitary condition that is the source of this problem.

Sincerely,
I

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I kept my assigned tractor cleaned out, and I expected the person I shared with to do the same. There are 4 big trash cans at our fuel pumps where we park our power units at FW. If anybody drove my assigned tractor and left trash in it, I'd look in the DVIR to see who drove it, then when I went in to punch out, I'd stuff all the trash in that driver's cubbyhole. Every driver in my feeder department had a square hollow tube that fed thru the wall that management could stick papers, paychecks, uniforms, etc. If someone asked me why that it was in their box, I'd tell them "it's the trash you left in the tractor yesterday. Since you didn't throw it away, I assumed you wanted to keep it but just left it by mistake." They got the message loud and clear.