The stars have lined up for the worker this year, we have all the leverage

JL 0513

- Virtual full employment in the US right now.
(reported this week that there are more job openings than people looking for work).

If we strike and half of all part timers quit during a time of "full employment", how would they expect to bounce back hiring for positions few people want to do?

- Major corporate tax cut passed this year

The public witnessed thousands of companies increasing pay, benefits, bonuses, etc. as a result of the tax cut. How UPS could demand concessions is beyond comprehension this year.

UPS has to know they're scewed. The stupidy of allowing a strike in this environment is corporate suicide.

rod

Retired 22 years
(reported this week that there are more job openings than people looking for work).

The public witnessed thousands of companies increasing pay, benefits, bonuses, etc. as a result of the tax cut. How UPS could demand concessions is beyond comprehension this year.

UPS has to know they're scewed. The stupidy of allowing a strike in this environment is corporate suicide.

The public hasn't the slightest idea how UPS thinks. They wouldn't believe it if they did.

Indecisi0n

If we strike and half of all part timers quit during a time of "full employment", how would they expect to bounce back hiring for positions few people want to do?

The wild card is that UPS is so stupid with their money I could see them wasting millions to try and prove a point.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

While I think the stars have aligned for what should be a very good contract.

It's all in who would get out in front of it. If UPS spins it first and the union is on their heals the public will be on their side.

F

Frankie's Friend

UPS thinks?
High mindly.
While I think the stars have aligned for what should be a very good contract.

It's all in who would get out in front of it. If UPS spins it first and the union is on their heals the public will be on their side.
The stories I'm reading all say the company is trying to screw the upcoming driver jobs and go on to report the NET profit of the company in 2017.
Most articles already I've read back the hourly.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
High mindly.

The stories I'm reading all say the company is trying to screw the upcoming driver jobs and go on to report the NET profit of the company in 2017.
Most articles already I've read back the hourly.

Really we have no clue as to what is being said behind the closed doors during the negotiation talks, back in "97" the International was sending correspondence to their members every week months before the strike deadline. I expect that both parties
are trying their best to keep it out of the press and prevent loss of business from attrition from other couriers, it is frustrating but unexpectedly level headed and smart. Unfortunately it is causing mistrust among the rank and file that both parties have already got their agendas planned to first get the contract passed rather than provide a excellent contract for their members and employees.

The public will be on our side, the stars are in alignment. Trump in office as unpredictable as he is, elections coming up, the economy booming, job market wide open, and wages increasing. It would the most idiotic decision if corporate forces a strike, again for what purpose?

F

Frankie's Friend

Really we have no clue as to what is being said behind the closed doors during the negotiation talks, back in "97" the International was sending correspondence to their members every week months before the strike deadline. I expect that both parties
are trying their best to keep it out of the press and prevent loss of business from attrition from other couriers, it is frustrating but unexpectedly level headed and smart. Unfortunately it is causing mistrust among the rank and file that both parties have already got their agendas planned to first get the contract passed rather than provide a excellent contract for their members and employees.

The public will be on our side, the stars are in alignment. Trump in office as unpredictable as he is, elections coming up, the economy booming, job market wide open, and wages increasing. It would the most idiotic decision if corporate forces a strike, again for what purpose?
The media is getting their info from some source(s).
I agree with your post but the (supposed) cats that's out of the bag are allegedly helping the hourly's side and given the prosperity of the company it appears to some that there's no reason for the union to take concessions.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The fact that there's only 50 days until the contract lapses and no new contract to even look at tells me there is a HUGE impasse.
That's scary !!!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Scary is not saving any money $ when you were told to way ahead of time. We know who were dealing with.

That's not even a concern in my house.
I was here in '97, its effects lasted a long time in every area.

The people clamoring for a strike before they've even seen a contract is down right stupidity.

F

Frankie's Friend

The fact that there's only 50 days until the contract lapses and no new contract to even look at tells me there is a HUGE impasse.
That's scary !!!
Really scary for the company side too. They must think it's 2002. But they may be working a little harder now with all the negative media expodure?
Time will tell. Probably get something within the next 2 wks and a rework of it in mid July.
The water is rising.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

The people clamoring for a strike before they've even seen a contract is down right stupidity.
Everyone loves the war drums. Later on, they are anti war.

cachmeifucan

We expect the company to try to screw us. It's our national leadership that scares me. They are looking for a way to sell us a bad contract. I think they both know that a bad contract won't pass. They want the retro pay to build up so enough part time employees vote yes after your union reps tell you it's the best we can get and people get worn down a believe it.

We expect the company to try to screw us. It's our national leadership that scares me. They are looking for a way to sell us a bad contract. I think they both know that a bad contract won't pass. They want the retro pay to build up so enough part time employees vote yes after your union reps tell you it's the best we can get and people get worn down a believe it.
And throw in a signing bonus .....

kspe1989

Scary is not saving any money $ when you were told to way ahead of time. We know who were dealing with.

I was here in 1997 as well, no one wins in a strike. I have been here since 87, strike or no strike I will still be driving, but guys with 5 years or less may not drive for awhile. The environment is different than 97, more competition to pick up the volume. Think people.