The unknown is torture.

MyPantsAreBrown

Start prep class Monday. Supposedly i go to driver training in texas the following Monday. Now from what I'm reading I'm either jobless in January or waiting 10 yrs for a full time job.

Being I have a newborn and want a better life for him. I have grown extremely apprehensive about the move I've made. Do I chew fingernails and wait?

WTFm8

Ask HR and ask to talk to the driver supervisor to see what timeframe you can expect to 'basically' be full time but without a route.

Once you go to driver class, you're locked into whatever building you signed up at from what I understand. I believe ransferring/moving is a PITA unless it's for military.

All buildings differ. I got in at a good time. I was told 6-7 retirements at my center between 2018 and 2019.

Including qualifying, I drove half of February through May because of excess injuries.

June I drove 1 week on that route, about a weeks worth of shuttling missloads, and rest of days were unloading in evening.

July I drove 2 weeks on a route.

In last 2 weeks I've only driven 1 day on route. 2 months of Saturday air now also.

I'm at $22k this year so far.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Start prep class Monday. Supposedly i go to driver training in texas the following Monday. Now from what I'm reading I'm either jobless in January or waiting 10 yrs for a full time job.

Being I have a newborn and want a better life for him. I have grown extremely apprehensive about the move I've made. Do I chew fingernails and wait?

It all depends on what your center needs, and whether you are seasonal or a regular. If you were hired as a full time ground driver, and not seasonal, then that's what you are. If they are hurting for drivers, then you could start working and keep working with no lay off days. The being jobless idea is that many new drivers get laid off on a regular basis. I would say, probably worse case scenario, if you were hired as a full time regular ground driver, you will likely be driving steadily within a couple years.

Worrying won't change your situation. Talk to the HR person who hired you, talk to your supervisor when you start qualifying, and talk to a steward or union rep once you gain seniority. Get all the answers you need to start to figure out what you need to do to take care of your family. Take advantage of the lay off days to spend time with your baby. Work as many hours as you can get on the days you work. It'll all work out, just stay strong.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

I fully agree with gumby, it was a lot of discussion, and sleepless nights for my family for the two weeks between the time i signed the bid sheet untill i went driving. That being said and looking back on it it was the right decision. There is a brighter financial future ahead.

MyPantsAreBrown

It all depends on what your center needs, and whether you are seasonal or a regular. If you were hired as a full time ground driver, and not seasonal, then that's what you are. If they are hurting for drivers, then you could start working and keep working with no lay off days. The being jobless idea is that many new drivers get laid off on a regular basis. I would say, probably worse case scenario, if you were hired as a full time regular ground driver, you will likely be driving steadily within a couple years.

Worrying won't change your situation. Talk to the HR person who hired you, talk to your supervisor when you start qualifying, and talk to a steward or union rep once you gain seniority. Get all the answers you need to start to figure out what you need to do to take care of your family. Take advantage of the lay off days to spend time with your baby. Work as many hours as you can get on the days you work. It'll all work out, just stay strong.
That's fantastic advice. Thank you!

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Each scenario is different. I’ve maybe been laid off 4 times in almost 2 years that I’ve been driving now. Sometimes I wish they did it to me more...but then I rub cash on these wounds and it makes everything better. Best of luck mate.

sikidiki

I also had this struggle at first, i was so far down on the list i didnt work for 4 months straight even as a full time driver. Then people quit and i moved up. Peak came and i worked my ass off. More people quit and here i am, worked January-August 3-4 days a week and lately 5 days a week. It only gets better the longer you are here. Eventually people retire and quit and you will work pretty much 40 hours a week and you're set. It was this or work a dead end job with no bright future ahead, sacrifices were made and my family helped me through it, now its all paying off. Trust me its worth it, no other job will get you this amount of money and benefits without a college degree. Once you get your own route and truck, its literally a cake walk and you are making even more money.

MyPantsAreBrown

Each scenario is different. I’ve maybe been laid off 4 times in almost 2 years that I’ve been driving now. Sometimes I wish they did it to me more...but then I rub cash on these wounds and it makes everything better. Best of luck mate.
I also had this struggle at first, i was so far down on the list i didnt work for 4 months straight even as a full time driver. Then people quit and i moved up. Peak came and i worked my ass off. More people quit and here i am, worked January-August 3-4 days a week and lately 5 days a week. It only gets better the longer you are here. Eventually people retire and quit and you will work pretty much 40 hours a week and you're set. It was this or work a dead end job with no bright future ahead, sacrifices were made and my family helped me through it, now its all paying off. Trust me its worth it, no other job will get you this amount of money and benefits without a college degree. Once you get your own route and truck, its literally a cake walk and you are making even more money.
Good to know. Thanks. I'm for sure sticking it out.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?

You need to find a temporary job with flexible hours. I’ve seen Uber recommended repeatedly in threads similar to this. As others have posted you’ll have limited options for transferring once you start. Some places have one building and one local. Some locals cover entire states with multiple buildings and switching buildings is based on seniority. Other parts of the country allow transfers within the same region but you loose building seniority each time you transfer. I also had a newborn when I attained FT seniority, it wasn’t easy. Best of luck!

MyPantsAreBrown

You need to find a temporary job with flexible hours. I’ve seen Uber recommended repeatedly in threads similar to this. As others have posted you’ll have limited options for transferring once you start. Some places have one building and one local. Some locals cover entire states with multiple buildings and switching buildings is based on seniority. Other parts of the country allow transfers within the same region but you loose building seniority each time you transfer. I also had a newborn when I attained FT seniority, it wasn’t easy. Best of luck!

The Real Jack RyanMI6

I forgot to add,

Year 1 my first 12 calendar months as a driver i was on layoff for 3 months total. It was not concecutive most weeks id work mon and fri or mon or friday. Closer to this time of year it was 4 days a week. And peak is peak. That all being said i had to report $20,000+ more income to the Irs.
Year 2
Lay off like a week at most
Year 3 to well retirement
Can i get a day off.
Im being lighthaerted but thats just how it has gone for me

clean hairy

No attempt to discourage you, just the way life will be.
You do understand this not a 9-5 job?

You WILL work the day after Thanksgiving, you WILL be out until maybe 9:30 or later during the Holidays.
Cristmas Eve, make no plans as you will be out delivering late that night.
Just to let you know some of the reality of the job.....