the UPS Education Assistance Program for helpers

jortrahelper

Hi,

So I was a helper in 2019 and was approved for the UPS Education Assistance Program for spring 2020 (jan-may). It required that I submit documents of receipts and final report card (which class finishes in May 2020).

Once I completed the course the edcor company (https://ups.tap.edcor.com) kept denying my reimbursement because I was no longer an employee since I was only a helper for the holiday season Nov/2019-to-Jan/2020. I worked an average of 29 hours a week +/- 1 hr.

I tried contacting HR Kermi and Marisol, UPS - Career - Contact Us, but no response.

Here is a 2019 article from ups stating it will support tuition reimbursement for all employees:

Also I lost contact with my local HR and supervisor.

What can I do next?

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Hi,

So I was a helper in 2019 and was approved for the UPS Education Assistance Program for spring 2020 (jan-may). It required that I submit documents of receipts and final report card (which class finishes in May 2020).

Once I completed the course the edcor company (https://ups.tap.edcor.com) kept denying my reimbursement because I was no longer an employee since I was only a helper for the holiday season Nov/2019-to-Jan/2020. I worked an average of 29 hours a week +/- 1 hr.

I tried contacting HR Kermi and Marisol, UPS - Career - Contact Us, but no response.

Here is a 2019 article from ups stating it will support tuition reimbursement for all employees:

Also I lost contact with my local HR and supervisor.

What can I do next?
You are SOL, sorry

Mr. Marshall

You thought they were going to pay for your education because you worked a few weeks or a month and then quit? Wow. You yourself said for all employees which clearly you weren't. This isn't the military :))

Mr. Marshall

it says this in the link you posted.
Through the company’s Earn and Learn program, eligible seasonal employees who are students can earn up to $1,300 towards college expenses, in addition to their hourly pay, for three months of continuous employment.

Very clearly.

jortrahelper

Thanks for the direct response.
I didn’t quit my hours were cut to zero.
It was under one year ago.
I was already approved for the program by ups Edcor. it required to submit receipt and report card, which is how ups use a win-lose contact to not payout signed and agreed contract. Even though they played a publicly new article of how they will be so kind to extent tuition reimbursement to seasonal helper. It’s all a stunt.

its more than the fine print it’s the principle, I joined because education assistance program. I was approved for reimbursement. Months after still no support.

you all are right I am wrong. I will make sure I will go out my way in the future to use and recommend any other shipping company than ups.

Good luck to you all in the union. Make sure to log your hours and get all your stops done by the end of the day.

If anyone else in a similar position try to ask ups to pay tuition reimbursement upfront. Before they use you “expandable” labor.

would not recommend helper seasonal work to anyone whose interested in the education assistance program.

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist
There has to be something in the fine print. I could see where they would reimburse someone who hires in, say around November 1st and it is for the fall semester, which they are currently enrolled. I can see UPS saying "you are currently in school but we need you, here is an extra $1300 for a couple months work towards your school, WHILE YOU ARE IN SCHOOL". NO WAY they are going to reimburse a seasonal helper for spring semester who is out the door on January 1, when spring semester is not even going to start until mid January. If you got approved for this and they knew this was for SPRING, then you have that on your side. When did you apply for this? Did they ask what semester it was for? Also after reading this there might be fine print that this was for certain cities and locations. You say you got approved, so it sounds like you did all you could. Hopefully it works out for you.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
It’s December. You finished in may. Think about it and how long you took. School still doesn’t give common sense.

Also when you buy your :censored2: online you don’t get to choose your delivery person it’s whoever the shipper decides to use.

542thruNthru

Thanks for the direct response.
I didn’t quit my hours were cut to zero.
It was under one year ago.
I was already approved for the program by ups Edcor. it required to submit receipt and report card, which is how ups use a win-lose contact to not payout signed and agreed contract. Even though they played a publicly new article of how they will be so kind to extent tuition reimbursement to seasonal helper. It’s all a stunt.

its more than the fine print it’s the principle, I joined because education assistance program. I was approved for reimbursement. Months after still no support.

you all are right I am wrong. I will make sure I will go out my way in the future to use and recommend any other shipping company than ups.

Good luck to you all in the union. Make sure to log your hours and get all your stops done by the end of the day.

If anyone else in a similar position try to ask ups to pay tuition reimbursement upfront. Before they use you “expandable” labor.

would not recommend helper seasonal work to anyone whose interested in the education assistance program.
Lesson learned. Always have to read the fine print.