There'll be no party at Cheryl's place

moreluck

golden ticket member
[h=2]California: Orange County Couple Threatened With $500-Per-Meeting Fines For Home Bible Study…[/h]
bible.jpg

Wrong on so many different levels.
MISSION VIEJO (CBS) — An Orange County couple has been ordered to stop holding a Bible study in their home on the grounds that the meeting violates a city ordinance as a “church” and not as a private gathering.
Homeowners Chuck and Stephanie Fromm, of San Juan Capistrano, were fined $300 earlier this month for holding what one city official called “a regular gathering of more than three people” that requires a conditional use permit, according to Pacific Justice Institute, the couple’s legal representation.

The Fromms also reportedly face subsequent fines of $500 per meeting for any further “religious gatherings” in their home, according to the Pacific Justice Institute (PJI).

“We’re just gathering and enjoying each other’s company and fellowship. And we enjoy studying God’s word.” Stephanie Fromm told CBS2.

After city officials rejected the Fromms’ appeal, PJI, which represents both the Fromms and other Bible study participants, will appeal the decision to the California Superior Court in Orange County.

“This is also about a city trying to get a family to pay fees — to pay fees and pay money to them — just to be able to have friends over to read the Bible,” attorney Brad Dacus of PJI told CBS2.

wkmac

California: Orange County Couple Threatened With $500-Per-Meeting Fines For Home Bible Study…

bible.jpg

Wrong on so many different levels.
MISSION VIEJO (CBS) — An Orange County couple has been ordered to stop holding a Bible study in their home on the grounds that the meeting violates a city ordinance as a “church” and not as a private gathering.
Homeowners Chuck and Stephanie Fromm, of San Juan Capistrano, were fined $300 earlier this month for holding what one city official called “a regular gathering of more than three people” that requires a conditional use permit, according to Pacific Justice Institute, the couple’s legal representation.

The Fromms also reportedly face subsequent fines of $500 per meeting for any further “religious gatherings” in their home, according to the Pacific Justice Institute (PJI).

“We’re just gathering and enjoying each other’s company and fellowship. And we enjoy studying God’s word.” Stephanie Fromm told CBS2.

After city officials rejected the Fromms’ appeal, PJI, which represents both the Fromms and other Bible study participants, will appeal the decision to the California Superior Court in Orange County.

“This is also about a city trying to get a family to pay fees — to pay fees and pay money to them — just to be able to have friends over to read the Bible,” attorney Brad Dacus of PJI told CBS2.

Absolutely!

over9five

Staff member
“a regular gathering of more than three people”

So how many people were there? I mean, were cars parked up and down the street? Was there 4 people, or 400?

“a regular gathering of more than three people”

So how many people were there? I mean, were cars parked up and down the street? Was there 4 people, or 400?
The article I read earlier this am said they averaged 50 people per meeting. Quit a few in a residential area.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Ok, now that weve dispensed with the "feelings" lets talk about the law. Clearly, the neighborhood was not designed to host the cars of 50 guests on streets on three separate days, occupying the curbs of the neighbors homes to a point where neighbors had to park on adjoining streets. Besides this inconvenience to their neighbors, the couple was in violation of city ordinances.

"City officials in San Juan Capistrano, Calif. say Chuck and Stephanie Fromm are in violation of municipal code 9-3.301, which prohibits “religious, fraternal or non-profit” organizations in residential neighborhoods without a permit. "

The law is the law, our feelings are just that, feelings. The city has an obligation to protect the public from un permitted meetings. The area is NOT ZONED for a fake church and the public should complain about it.

What if my harley club decided to hold meetings three days a week and you had 60 harleys parked up and down "some" residential streets blocking all the available curbs? I am sure you wouldnt mind if this happened in "A" retirement community, eh?

Just think, all those walkers vibrating from loud pipes three days a week and people hanging around "A" neighborhood like that and nobody knows who they are.

This story reminds me of those religious kooks like Heavens Gate, Order of the Solar Temple and The peoples Temple who gathered lots of people at homes and grew their following until a mass suicide ended those kook hang outs.

Heavens Gate had more than three guests at a home where they studied a religious belief. Nobody complained about it, until 39 dead bodies were found at the home.

Laws like this are intended to prevent incidents like this. That city ordinance would prevent my harley club from hosting a meeting in a similiar fashion in the same neighborhood, so this isnt a slam on religion.

Peace.

images

"Hey! Don`t eat any cake kids or you could be one of the 13000 children to come down with juvenile diabetes this year. Happy Birthday!"

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would love to have 60+ motorcycles lining the street, at the same time I will find a way to maneuver all the cars lining the road for a kegger, or a prayer meeting. Im glad I live where there is no zoning. If the road is blocked take another way. If you cant deal with it move.