These are the drones that will replace us

barnyard

KTM rider
Doubtful.

A friend of mine covers the automotive industry. He covered a technology dealio for the auto industry at MIT. The conclusion amongst the industry that in order for a driverless car to work in the US, they have to be insurable. In order to be insurable, someone or a company is going to have to accept responsibility for them. The experts on the panel felt that that would be the stumbling block for them to work in the US.

He also said that they spoke of all the 'accident avoidance' tech and how that may cause even more accidents in the future. Instead of paying attention to where a driver is going, they will rely on tech to clue them in to a hazard.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Doubtful.

A friend of mine covers the automotive industry. He covered a technology dealio for the auto industry at MIT. The conclusion amongst the industry that in order for a driverless car to work in the US, they have to be insurable. In order to be insurable, someone or a company is going to have to accept responsibility for them. The experts on the panel felt that that would be the stumbling block for them to work in the US.

He also said that they spoke of all the 'accident avoidance' tech and how that may cause even more accidents in the future. Instead of paying attention to where a driver is going, they will rely on tech to clue them in to a hazard.
Drones can't drive the truck, deliver, and pickup. Someone would have to control the vehicle and who would grab the package out of the truck

MAKAVELI

I don't think it's a question of if rather than when this technology will become legal and safe. Google has been developing this technology for years.

You've Got Mail

UPS will need only 1% of its current human workforce by the year 2050.

We're not alone. Most blue-collar jobs will go the same route, with the white-collards not far behind.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Just watch, one of these wondermobiles will be involved in some bad accident and the DOT will put a halt on these indefinitely. Let alone the fact that other companies will get cold feet about using these once that happens.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I hope these bees have a license.

drone.jpg

MechLift

I can see some significant portion being automated where a drone deposits and pups deliveries to a secured container near the curb but variations in size and weight of cargo, roads and architucture of all living/working spaces makes complete automation impossible to many locations.

As long as the freight is in standardized containers (like ship containers or rail flats) automation works. For example, from trucks leaving a facility with the days pups to its being sorted and bought to the receiving stations.

A major accident would make a lot of headlines but so long as the incidence average is lower than before what's to argue except if politics and maybe strategic considerations argue for human involvement in the handling process.

barnyard

KTM rider
I don't think it's a question of if rather than when this technology will become legal and safe. Google has been developing this technology for years.

I am just repeating what experts from the auto, insurance and MIT all stated. I am betting that they have a pretty good idea on the state of development too.

MAKAVELI

I am just repeating what experts from the auto, insurance and MIT all stated. I am betting that they have a pretty good idea on the state of development too.
I'm sure they do. But I'm sure in time that will be figured out. In the end it's usually whoever throws the most $ to the politicians that gets the wheels greased.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
UPS will need only 1% of its current human workforce by the year 2050.

We're not alone. Most blue-collar jobs will go the same route, with the white-collards not far behind.
Says who? Ups already has the technology to automate some of its workforce in the buildiings and has yet to do that for most of its buildings. I know they have a scanner thing for revenue recovery that was supposed to be installed in the building where i worked at and it would make human revenue auditors obsolete, thus eliminating my job. 10 years later all the same people working revenue recovery.

dezguy

I don't think we're going to see drones replace humans any time soon but I do think drones will be held over us as a bargaining chip to keep salaries down.

It will be fine

I don't think we're going to see drones replace humans any time soon but I do think drones will be held over us as a bargaining chip to keep salaries down.

I think automated long haul trucks would be much safer than humans. The problem is the cost will be too high if you still need a human in the truck monitoring the system. If they become industry standard though it could require a more skilled operator which could raise wages. We can always hope.

dezguy

I think automated long haul trucks would be much safer than humans. The problem is the cost will be too high if you still need a human in the truck monitoring the system. If they become industry standard though it could require a more skilled operator which could raise wages. We can always hope.
I'm not so sure about that. There are a lot of variables that would have to be considered for me to think automated long haul trucks would be safer than a human.

CJinx

What happens when the Amazon drone wakes me up on Saturday morning and I blow it out of the air with a shotgun?
You'll get arrested and charged with vandalism and reckless conduct with a firearm. The FBI may also be very interested in you on the account of possible theft from interstate shipment (title 18 section 659).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You'll get arrested and charged with vandalism and reckless conduct with a firearm. The FBI may also be very interested in you on the account of possible theft from interstate shipment (title 18 section 659).

Thanks, Efrem Zimbalist. I'll just zap it with my garden hose...by mistake, of course.