They can take their "Operational Needs" and put em where the sun never shines.

Nolimitz

Don't know about other area's but we have been dealing with above peak volumes for the last couple months, and there is no end in sight. Our station has hired/promoted 7 to courier status recently, and there has been no one leaving. Our senior in his ultimate brilliance has been sending 1 person at a time to courier school. At the rate this is happening we will have all 7 running sometime in Oct or Nov. All 4/10's are now on 5/10's.... I got screwed out of a 4 day weekend today by having to work my scheduled day off.
Yesterday mgt. sent out a message looking for 9 volunteers to work Sat 7-5-14, Yeah good luck w/ that. So this morning the ole draft goes into effect.... manager requests that I call him around noon. He finally gets back to me around 1300 says you are on the list for Sat. Well boss not happening cause I got plans and friends and family waiting on me at our cabin. I ended up hanging up on him! Was fully prepared to park truck and walk away midday. Resigned myself to a Letter in file or a Decision day come Monday cause I was not working Sat. Guess they forced someone else to work cause I managed to skate off the list.
They can take their "Operational Needs" and put em where the sun never shines.

end of rant!
Have a great 4th and 5th if you don't have to work it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The amount of volume puzzles me since the service has gone downhill considerably. Customers are obviously slow to catch on.

As far as that draft list goes, tell 'em you'll work some other time like at the end of the 6th week of February.

El Morado Diablo

The amount of volume puzzles me since the service has gone downhill considerably. Customers are obviously slow to catch on.

The company didn't make it's SQI goal for the second half so we won't be getting the IPP/FPP (whatever it's called) payout. To top it off they've raised the goals for SO service. That's pretty funny given how often our freight comes in late with the mandate that we finish P1's before starting on SO/E2 deliveries. Something tells me our chances of making service aren't going to get better in the next 6 months.

dezguy

The company didn't make it's SQI goal for the second half so we won't be getting the IPP/FPP (whatever it's called) payout. To top it off they've raised the goals for SO service. That's pretty funny given how often our freight comes in late with the mandate that we finish P1's before starting on SO/E2 deliveries. Something tells me our chances of making service aren't going to get better in the next 6 months.

Meanwhile, stock values are at a near all time high. But work harder everyone for that 1% payout they dangle in front of your face. One of these years, they might actually think about giving it to us but then they'll realize how much more they can pocket and give a reason not to pay it out.

hypo hanna

Wow, it looks like customers were REALLY MAD about peak, doesn't it?
Or sales had to cut them even sweeter deals to retain the accounts. Further eroding the profit margin.

No worries. management can cut some more benefits to hourly employees and then reward themselves with more stock options for the brilliant decision.
TA-DAH!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wow, it looks like customers were REALLY MAD about peak, doesn't it?

Amazon threatened to cut both FedEx and UPS out after peak. Either they can't do it (yet) or it was just leverage to extract a better deal. Do you really think Amazon was happy with the service they got during peak? Whenever I see a box of diapers or Top Ramen going down the belt SDR, I know that we're not getting much revenue from it.

CJinx

Amazon is a juggernaut that continues to ship more freight than they did the day before. They can't dump any of their methods for shipping because there is simply too much for any one entity to handle.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Amazon is a juggernaut that continues to ship more freight than they did the day before. They can't dump any of their methods for shipping because there is simply too much for any one entity to handle.

CNBC had a special on Amazon last night. Juggernaut is certainly the right word.

Resident know-it-all.

hypo hanna

So why does fedex mgmt feel they need to give amazon a discount so large we loose money on any shipment slightly delayed, (weather, mechanical etc), or allows the system to be flooded with barely profitable shipments that elbow out higher revenue packages because we are told to give them priority? (Apple is a prime example).
If as you imply, they need us as much if not more then them, shouldn't we be negotiating a better deal?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
So why does fedex mgmt feel they need to give amazon a discount so large we loose money on any shipment slightly delayed, (weather, mechanical etc), or allows the system to be flooded with barely profitable shipments that elbow out higher revenue packages because we are told to give them priority? (Apple is a prime example).
If as you imply, they need us as much if not more then them, shouldn't we be negotiating a better deal?
Doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? When you have up to 1/2 your volume as loss leaders (like Express does with Apple and Amazon) then that's a good way to end up in the red.

CJinx

We have more freight now than we did this time last year. Peak is forecasted to be a nightmare. If the customers on either end were truly fed up with our services, they sure have a funny way of showing it.

TUT

What's everyone's guess with the new Ground Dims by both Fedex and UPS regarding Amazon starting '15? Are they gonna be exempt from the new dims? Or are they going to be a lot more efficient packing? Or are they going to raise prices to offset? There is no doubt in my mind something has to give, they have to be one of the most inefficient with product size to box size companies out there.