They want me to work preload.

gostillerz

I'm the bottom seniority cover driver, so I call in at 7am for driving, then call at 4pm for for reload, which i never work. They asked me to work preload for a few months, but I make $150 more per week on unemployment than if I actually worked that shift. We're a small center, and get away with stuff, but I don't want to be the guy who will cover every shift just because I'm the last guy.

If they tried to tell me to transfer shifts, I'd tell them to piss off, but they asked me.

What would you do?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Talk to your supervisor or center manager. Tell them what you told us here, that you would lose money by working only the preload and tell them if they want you to work the preload that you would like to work the reload as well. The only concern I would have is if you say "no" what effect, if any, would turning down work have on your unemployment.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Some states will pay the difference between what you were receiving on unemployment and the income you will receive from working the preload. I still think your best bet is to work both the preload and reload until volume picks up enough to where you can back on the road.

gostillerz

I didn't think I'd qualify for unemployment either, but apparently the state agreed with me.

I was quite content working preload and working another FT jobuntil my seniority allowed a chance at a FT job. I've been there for 5 years, and have helped out working preload, reload, running air. My thing is if they have people available for every shift, they won't hire people for those jobs.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
NJ allows you to collect the difference between what you are paid for part time hours and what you are qualified to receive in unemployment. That is what I am doing

menotyou

bella amicizia
NJ allows you to collect the difference between what you are paid for part time hours and what you are qualified to receive in unemployment. That is what I am doing
Are you allowed to refuse work and still collect unemployment? That was my point. The OP is refusing work.

ikoi62

Are you allowed to refuse work and still collect unemployment? That was my point. The OP is refusing work.

nj dept of labor
If you are working
less than full-time due to your employer's lack of full-time work, you may be able to collect all or part of your unemployment benefits. Less than full-time means that you are not working more than 80% of the usual hours for your occupation (for example, if a 40 hour work week is common in your occupation, you may be able to receive benefits if you work 32 hours or less).

If you find part-time work with a new employer, you must continue to look for full-time work (if your unemployment claim is based on full-time work). If you do not look for full-time work, you may be ineligible for unemployment benefits.

Whether you are working less than full-time or part-time, you must report your weekly gross wages (including tips) when you claim your benefits. Please note that even if pre-existing part-time employment is not used to calculate your monetary, you must declare all earnings for each week of benefits that you claim. Wages must be reported for the week in which they are earned, not when they are paid. The wages you report will be subtracted from your Partial Benefit Rate. The Partial Benefit Rate is 20% higher than your weekly benefit rate. You cannot be paid more than your weekly benefit rate.

For example, if your weekly benefit rate is $200, your Partial Benefit Rate is $240 (20% higher than $200). If you earn $50 during a week, you would receive $190 in unemployment benefits ($240 - $50 = $190).
from here.
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Requirements for Payment <br> Report Part-Time Earnings

menotyou

bella amicizia
[h=2]Unemployment Insurance Benefits Fraud[/h][h=4]24-Hour Toll-Free Hotline
(1-888) 598-2077[/h]When someone collects unemployment insurance (UI) benefits by lying to the Department of Labor, he or she is committing fraud. We take UI benefits fraud very seriously. It is a crime that affects businesses and workers. It drives up UI taxes on law-abiding businesses, and it frustrates honest workers. We need every dollar to help those who honestly need these benefits.
Some examples of UI benefits fraud include:

• Providing false information or failing to disclose information on your application for benefits, including lying about how you lost your job
  • Working while collecting unemployment benefits and inaccurately reporting your days and earnings
  • Working any amount of time in a week while collecting benefits and telling us you did not work
  • Earning more than $405 from employers in one week where benefits are collected and not correctly reporting true total earnings for that week
  • Failing to be ready, willing and able to work (e.g., out of the area, on vacation, sick, suffering total disability) while collecting UI benefits
  • Working "off the books" while collecting benefits
  • Using another person's identity (e.g., name, social security number) to file fraudulent claims
  • Helping another person file a false unemployment insurance claim
  • Collaborating with an employer to illegally claim unemployment insurance benefits

Unemployment Insurance Benefits Fraud - New York State Department of Labor

menotyou

bella amicizia
We just had a cover driver busted by UPS for this. He is not allowed to refuse work and collect, again. If he does, he will be terminated. That is what UPS told him.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
As far as I know you cannot refuse work, me personally I have not refused work, I get batted around like a wiffle ball on a windy day being low on the seniority totem pole

As far as what I collect in unemployment it is not much but it is helpful

gostillerz

I called up the unemployment office to double check. They said since my classification is a driver, I can turn down work that is a different classification or shift, but obviously I can't turn down driving or working reload. Im not on full unemployment, just partial. I drive Sat air, and usually drive a route once a week. Right now, the unemployment check is for $350/wk after taxes. Working preload, I would take home about $180/wk.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I called up the unemployment office to double check. They said since my classification is a driver, I can turn down work that is a different classification or shift, but obviously I can't turn down driving or working reload. Im not on full unemployment, just partial. I drive Sat air, and usually drive a route once a week. Right now, the unemployment check is for $350/wk after taxes. Working preload, I would take home about $180/wk.
I am glad you checked. I wouldn't want you to get into trouble.

gostillerz

I am glad you checked. I wouldn't want you to get into trouble.

Thanks, me neither! So that's my thing. Make $350/week doing the job I was "promoted" to, or make $180 to help prevent them from hiring people they need for that shift anyways. Me doing it for a month isn't going to solve the problem. It doesn't really matter anyways, 3 drivers are out on comp now, so I'm working, and we just got telematics. One of the "runners" showed his bulkhead open 75 times, and our 30 year safe driver had 120 seatbelt violations supposedly. Both in one day. People will have to slow down, so more routes open is good for me

Not to change the subject, but our on car said he thinks the computer can tell if our diad is out of the holder. I checked my truck today, and didn't see any wires attached. Is he full of ****, or is he warning is he warning us ahead of time?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your on-car is full of **** although I do think that it is best to keep the DIAD in the holder while driving. We have drivers who use the belt loop and keep the DIAD there while driving. One of them had 13 recording in idles one day and I think the two may be related.

brownIEman

Telematics has no way I am aware of to determine that your DIAD is in the holder. It can however Identify sheeting while idling or driving, hence showing that the DIAD is out of the holder. Sheeting while driving is a simple measurement. The DIAD has a time stamp on anytime a Stop complete is recorded. Telematics compares that to the sensors in the vehicle that keep records of the exact times of all idles, speed(wheels moving) etc.

If you hit a stop complete at the same time the vehicle sensors are registering engine on and any speed, you have a recording in travel event. Very bad for obvious reasons. If the stop complete is at the same time the vehicle sensors are showing engine on but registering no speed, you have a recording in idle event.