Thinking about becoming a driver

JBenton

So I've worked at UPS for almost 15 years and I believe the time has come for me to drive. I'm over the nonsense that goes on inside the building and I've recently stopped working my other job during the day. I know I don't want to be a 22.4 driver because of the lower pay and having to work Saturdays. Should I be trying to sign up as a cover driver? There's a "full-time" bid sheet up right now but that's it.

PT Car Washer

So I've worked at UPS for almost 15 years and I believe the time has come for me to drive. I'm over the nonsense that goes on inside the building and I've recently stopped working my other job during the day. I know I don't want to be a 22.4 driver because of the lower pay and having to work Saturdays. Should I be trying to sign up as a cover driver? There's a "full-time" bid sheet up right now but that's it.
I believe the only way now to become a FT driver is to go trough the 22.4 process. Unless you think all of the 22.4 drivers are happy to stay where they are so you can bid a FT driver opening.

El Correcto

god is dead

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
If you worked 15 years I would check how your pension and healthcare changes in detail (even call your BA about it).You also get red circled wages so somebody like you might earn nearly the same wage for a year or more before progression catches up.

I believe there is a cutoff point where it simply is not worth it, you would have to really research when but in the west might be as early as 10 years given the fast-tracked PT entry wage and the solid pension that otherwise gets sliced in half.
I would rather you do your dilligence to get a comfy inside position like clerk or a good 22.2 22.3.

PizzaToUps

depending on your supplement or rider, part timers and 22.4 sign the same part time to full time sheets to become a RPCD so you may not even have to deal with being a 22.4.
Also, at 15 years, why don’t you try to bid into a 22.3 position?

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
I believe that 22.4 has replaced PT cover driver.

Nah, our center has RPCD, 22.4 and PTCDs. We have a 3 tier driver system now. Funny thing is, part timers make more money than 22.4s for the first 3 years. 22.4s pass after top rate.