Thinking about getting a job with UPS, any advice?

colty45

I'm a 22 year old male, about to graduate with a Bachelor's degree in Childhood Education. I am not planning on trying to go right into a teaching job, and even if I did want to , its tough to find one in NY right now.

I have always been interested in UPS, as a young boy I bought and sold on eBay and loved sending and receiving packages. I'm considering trying to find a position as a part-time, who knows -could end up -full time job.

Would it be worth it? How long does it take to become a driver? Would having a college degree in education help at all?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My daughter has the same early childhood degree. Without special ed, spanish or chinese, or working in the hood, you are out of luck.

ymelord

You are way over educated for management, and are probably going to have trouble getting much of a job until after the contract.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yea my advice too, dont. Use your brain, not your braun. Im sorry it sounds crass. My opinion is dont. its not fun. its not rewarding, it may look good on a resume, but it will age you,

BleedsBrown

dont listen to the slugs, UPS will either chew you up ans spit you out or turn you into a lean, mean, package moving machine....if hard work isnt for you dont bother. but if you want a "paid" workout...UPS is the place for you.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm a 22 year old male, about to graduate with a Bachelor's degree in Childhood Education. I am not planning on trying to go right into a teaching job, and even if I did want to , its tough to find one in NY right now.

I have always been interested in UPS, as a young boy I bought and sold on eBay and loved sending and receiving packages. I'm considering trying to find a position as a part-time, who knows -could end up -full time job.

Would it be worth it? How long does it take to become a driver? Would having a college degree in education help at all?

Having a degree means nothing at ups unless your management. Why did you go to school with no intention of using your degree.

ymelord

dont listen to the slugs, UPS will either chew you up ans spit you out or turn you into a lean, mean, package moving machine....if hard work isnt for you dont bother. but if you want a "paid" workout...UPS is the place for you.
slugs, harsh dude--- my count has it 7 people telling you to run, and 1 telling you to give it a try, and 1 unde-sigh-ded, your the one with the education, you decide.

IzzyTheNose

The job isn't that hard. The people that whine about how hard the job is (not pointing fingers here, just what I've encountered at my hub, which is pretty damn big), are often the same people who don't work hard at all. And if there's one thing I've come to understand working for UPS, it's that the easier the job becomes for someone, they still find some reason to complain about said job.

If you want a job with anyone, don't ever let a stranger talk you out of it. Working for UPS is a good job to have for many reasons, and there are many why you may not want to stick with UPS.

Best advice I can give you is to find out for yourself. Just don't buy much of what the HR rep tells you. Don't walk out of that interview expecting to become a driver or a have a combo position (full-time) within a couple years, because that's a remote possibility.

If you decide to work for Brown, get a feel for the job for a few months. If it's to your liking, stick with it, as you're not going to find a part-time job that will give you the kind of benefits UPS offers. If it isn't to your liking, you shouldn't have a problem landing a part-time supervisor position with the UPS. You won't have the support of the Union, and you'll have to pay for your benefits, but you'll get about $5-$6 dollar more than you would as an hourly. And you'll be paid to stand around with your hand in your pockets and watch other people work.

The biggest upside to going management is what it could do for your resume. Management experience is incredibly valuable to any potential employer.

Find out for yourself whether it's something you want to do. Personally, I don't think there are many jobs better for someone who's in transition.

Indecisi0n

Yea my advice too, dont. Use your brain, not your braun. Im sorry it sounds crass. My opinion is dont. its not fun. its not rewarding, it may look good on a resume, but it will age you,

Why do a lot of people say its not "rewarding?" 80K a year, fully paid benefits, pension, 401K only work mon-fri, paid holidays. I know people who would literally kill for a job like this. It's not all roses but it does seem to balance out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why do a lot of people say its not "rewarding?" 80K a year, fully paid benefits, pension, 401K only work mon-fri, paid holidays. I know people who would literally kill for a job like this. It's not all roses but it does seem to balance out.

Let's see----moving boxes---molding young minds----sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Use your degree.

Ironically, my son is graduating in December and I am strongly encouraging him to apply for operations management trainee openings at both Worldport and Atlanta. His degree will be in Supply Chain Solutions (Logistics) and UPS would be a perfect fit for him and his degree.

Indecisi0n

Let's see----moving boxes---molding young minds----sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Use your degree.

Ironically, my son is graduating in December and I am strongly encouraging him to apply for operations management trainee openings at both Worldport and Atlanta. His degree will be in Supply Chain Solutions (Logistics) and UPS would be a perfect fit for him and his degree.

I get all that (what i listed above) for moving cardboard. It's good enough for me and yes i have a degree as well.

Indecisi0n

What's good enough for you need not be the standard for others.

One huge benefit i forgot to mention is job security. My buddy was just let go from his fortune 500 company after 15 years only for the fact of cutting cost. It unbelievable how companies have NO loyalty what-so-ever for their employees . I guess it also helps me since i am more of a laborer anyway. I couldn't sit in an office all day and bang on a keyboard.

Nimnim

The Nim
As far as your degree, standard entry level part time positions will have no bearing on it. You'll do manual labor, might have to think, but you won't be using your education. Depending on your area you may be able to move into a full time position in 5 years or less, but it's iffy.

You could also apply for management and most likely be promoted to a PT supervisor position. If you ended up in the training dept your degree could be quite useful given the mentality of many new hires we get.

Personally though, in my opinion if you're looking to advance your career in education UPS will not help you unless you plan to go to school more, then the tuition reimbursement will help a lot. As far as a resume, unless you went into management and were in the training dept it wouldn't help as far as teaching goes.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited: